501 5.7.1 [P9] Permission denied you cannot change your from address.

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

501 5.7.1 [P9] Permission denied you cannot change your from address.

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-17 22:23

Has anyone ever seen this error? I cant find anything specific or recent in a web search.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Re: 501 5.7.1 [P9] Permission denied you cannot change your from address.

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-17 22:41

On the phone with the ISP, its his second call on this issue, so ill report back if it gets cleared for anyone who searches later.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-12-17 23:34

I remember a forum member having the opposite problem ;)

https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... p?p=224544

:mrgreen:
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-21 16:22

SorenR wrote:
2020-12-17 23:34
I remember a forum member having the opposite problem ;)

https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... p?p=224544

:mrgreen:
Im working with the ISP, they recently made a change where you cant do a "send as", but im not doing that, my Outlook settings havent changed, i use multiple domains on my connection, but only my hardwired machine running Outlook 365 has this issue, my phone doesnt even on wifi. Im also the only one who uses my hM server. The only thing i can think of is Outlook made a change in a recent update that is triggering it, but i for the life of me cant figure it out. I dont send a LOT of email on my PC, but being limited to a single email address is troublesome, especially when its a backup/from the ISP.

My theory is that they see my login used with a different email address, and i told them ive been using their service for over 16 years to host my own email/web servers since Spectrum (or w/e their name is today) doesnt allow it unless you pay for a Business Account that STARTS at $130+ and doesnt have a static IP. My Outlook has always had to use their outgoing server and my mobile devices use "Outgoing server requires Auth" and "Use the same user/pwd for sending email" cause hM has the login info for the ISP and always work fine.
I also said theres no way im the only custom domain name on their system and it would be the same as if PNC bank used their service and had to send as the @ISP.com instead of PNC.com.

Ironically when i called, i somehow (thankfully) got an escalation dude who spoke English and sort of understood my issue and said i was the second call for that he took that day.

Also, i dont use webmail.

Still, if anyone has any insight id appreciate some input.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-12-21 17:03

So only domains hosted on O365 can send using their servers?

Just googled this smarthost... https://www.smtp2go.com/
Less than 1,000 mail per month is free and they will guide you in how to setup SPF, DKIM and DMARC in your DNS.

I do not know them personally and I have never used them but it seems like the thing you need...
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-12-21 18:24

SorenR wrote:
2020-12-21 17:03

Less than 1,000 mail per month is free and they will guide you in how to setup SPF, DKIM and DMARC in your DNS.

I do not know them personally and I have never used them but it seems like the thing you need...
I use their lowest tier pay plan. They have been great.

I could probably get by with their free plan, but they have an hourly rate limit on the free plan that could trip me up once in a blue moon.

Edit - looks like the hourly rate limit is meaningless. Maybe I should go back to the free plan. :D
Free accounts come with a monthly allowance of 1,000 emails and an hourly limit of 25 emails (the hourly limit is removed when you verify your sender domain). Free accounts are limited to 5 days of email reporting, and 2 weeks of phone and live chat support.

Paid accounts have no hourly limit and your monthly allowance is based on the plan you choose.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-21 18:33

SorenR wrote:
Not quite sure i follow? Im only using O365 on my PC, not hosted with.
SorenR wrote:

I dont understand the purpose of that? I want my stuff in my control and if the server is on my ISP's network, i HAVE to use their SMTP.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-12-21 19:31

Furball Zen wrote:
2020-12-21 18:33
SorenR wrote:
SorenR wrote:

I dont understand the purpose of that? I want my stuff in my control and if the server is on my ISP's network, i HAVE to use their SMTP.
Sorry, then I don't quite understand your setup. I thought you wanted to use O365 as outgoing relay as I presume your port 25 is blocked by ISP...
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-12-21 19:34

Here is what I have observed relative to restrictions on SMTP in Exchange Online:

1. Outgoing email can be submitted on port 587 using mail-enabled user credentials to authenticate. Only authenticated submissions are accepted, regardless of whether the destination is a local address. The recipient can be local or remote, but the sender must be one of the authenticated mailboxes' proxy address. External-to-external relay isn't supported on this port.

2. Outgoing external email can be relayed through port 25 if an IP Authenticated Receive Connector is created. In this senario, the recipient can be local or remote, and the sender must be on an authoritative domain hosted in the Exchange Online tenant. You can add additional domain to the tenant that do not have mailboxes hosted, but you have to bypass the MX record validation step in the creation process. DKIM will not be enabled automatically, but you can enable it manually using the New-DKIMSigningConfig Powershell Command. Use Get-DKIMSigningConfig to identify the CNAME targets to use in the local DNS namespace for the public key resource record.

3. A third type of Receive Connector is supported that may allow unrestricted external-to-external relay. This type of Connector also listens of port 25 and uses Client Certificate Authentication to identify the SMTP relay client. The client certificate is passed during the STARTTLS upgrade, so hMailServer can't naively support this type of Connector. It is designed for use specifically with on-premise Exchange, although the SMTP Service in Windows Server 2008 R2 through and ending with 2012 R2 can present the certificate correctly.

One gotcha. For #2 and #3. The source IP address cannot be listed in Spamhaus PBL. Microsoft will reject connections from these addresses.

I tried #3 but didn't get past the PBL limitiation so I can't confirm destination addressing is unrestricted.

I am currently using #2 with Exchange Online as my primary smart relay, with a Global Rule to handle the rare need to forward external-to-external messages though SendGrid.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-21 21:47

SorenR wrote:
2020-12-21 19:31
Furball Zen wrote:
2020-12-21 18:33
SorenR wrote:
SorenR wrote:

Sorry, then I don't quite understand your setup. I thought you wanted to use O365 as outgoing relay as I presume your port 25 is blocked by ISP...
Im only using Outlook, not Exchange? Why would i need hM if i had Exchange? Port 25 is open, but i need my ISP user/pwd to send through it.

Maybe this will help?

Code: Select all

Test: Collect server details
hMailServer version: hMailServer 5.6.7-B2425
Database type: MSSQL Compact

Test: Test IPv6
IPv6 support is available in operating system.

Test: Test outbound port
SMTP relayer is in use.
Local address is 192.168.1.13.
Trying to connect to host mail.fuse.net... [b](this is my ISP)[/b]
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 64.8.71.14 on port 25.
Received: 220 2.0.0 smtpout.cincibell.syn-alias.com ESMTP ecelerity 3.6.25.56547 r(Core:3.6.25.0) Mon, 21 Dec 2020 14:44:03 -0500.
Connected successfully.

Test: Test backup directory
Backup directory C:\Documents and Settings\<snip>\Desktop is writable.

Test: Test MX records
Trying to resolve MX records for <snip>.net...
Host name found: mail.<snip>.net

Test: Test local connect
Connecting to TCP/IP address in MX records for local domain domain <snip>.net...
Trying to connect to host mail.<snip>.net...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 216.68.216.70 on port 25.
Received: 220 mail.<snip>.com ESMTP.
Connected successfully.

Test: Test message file locations
Relative message paths are stored in the database for all messages.

Test: Test IP range configuration
There is a total of 2216 auto-ban IP ranges.

mikedibella wrote:
2020-12-21 19:34
Here is what I have observed relative to restrictions on SMTP in Exchange Online:
Dunno why all of a sudden everyone thinks im using Exchange and not hM?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-12-21 21:55

Maybe this is why?
Furball Zen wrote:
2020-12-21 16:22
Im working with the ISP, they recently made a change where you cant do a "send as", but im not doing that, my Outlook settings havent changed, i use multiple domains on my connection, but only my hardwired machine running Outlook 365 has this issue, my phone doesnt even on wifi. Im also the only one who uses my hM server. The only thing i can think of is Outlook made a change in a recent update that is triggering it, but i for the life of me cant figure it out. I dont send a LOT of email on my PC, but being limited to a single email address is troublesome, especially when its a backup/from the ISP.
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-12-21 21:57

Are you using a residential grade broadband connection? The SMTP "service" offered though this class of Internet connection often has a limitation very similar to the one described in point #1 above. ISPs do this very deliberately to prevent you from eroding the "value" of their business-class services. Many ISPs simply do not want you hosting a mail server on a residential circuit. The SMTP service offering is targeted at an individual user sending email out using a single designated Sender identity, which is often the same identity used to authenticate to the service.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-22 00:42

SorenR wrote:
2020-12-21 21:55
Maybe this is why?
Furball Zen wrote:
2020-12-21 16:22
Well yea, as in Outlook the email program lol.
mikedibella wrote:
2020-12-21 21:57
Are you using a residential grade broadband connection? The SMTP "service" offered though this class of Internet connection often has a limitation very similar to the one described in point #1 above. ISPs do this very deliberately to prevent you from eroding the "value" of their business-class services. Many ISPs simply do not want you hosting a mail server on a residential circuit. The SMTP service offering is targeted at an individual user sending email out using a single designated Sender identity, which is often the same identity used to authenticate to the service.
No, not the case, but you missed where i have a static IP and pay for it, so technically its business class (just at a res location FTTN, also been doing it with their blessing for over 16 years). They verified today they JUST added this restriction on the 17th. Im just perplexed why only a hardwired machine would have an issue whereas a wifi device does not. Ive tried my Lumias, a Win 8.1 tablet with the builtin mail app and my PC and only the PC has the issue.

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-12-22 01:07

Can you describe how you are conducting identical tests (same MTA, same destination host and port, same message To, From, etc) on both the wired and wireless hosts?

I can't find any references on the web to "Permission denied you cannot change your from address", but there are multiple explanations for "501 5.7.1" that place the blame not on the configuration of the sending MTA, but rather that the receiving MTA doesn't like an envelope parameter (presumable the MAIL FROM: or RCPT TO: address, but conceivably could be the EHLO/HELO hostname).

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-22 04:31

mikedibella wrote:
2020-12-22 01:07
Can you describe how you are conducting identical tests (same MTA, same destination host and port, same message To, From, etc) on both the wired and wireless hosts?

I can't find any references on the web to "Permission denied you cannot change your from address", but there are multiple explanations for "501 5.7.1" that place the blame not on the configuration of the sending MTA, but rather that the receiving MTA doesn't like an envelope parameter (presumable the MAIL FROM: or RCPT TO: address, but conceivably could be the EHLO/HELO hostname).
MTA? And yea, i couldnt find anything either, hence posting here. On my PC, im using Outlook 365 with the settings below (pic 1). It has to use the mail.fuse.net outgoing since im using the ISP connection. The phones use Windows Mobile 10 and the built in Outlook there, they dont have to use the same settings as the PC, even on wifi since they go through the hM server connection (pic 2). The odd thing is, its not even hitting the hM server, its literally getting stopped IN Outlook...
Attachments
mailerror.jpg
mailerror1.jpg

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-22 05:05

I do have a wifi adapter i could try on my PC, not quite sure where it is though...

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-12-23 05:07

Can you confirm that you have ALL of the Outlook clients configured to use hMailServer as the SMTP target in the account settings? None of the Outlook client are using the ISP mail server as the SMTP target?

Outlook clients configured to use hMailServer as the mail client will submit messages for delivery to HMS and HMS will encounter the 501 5.7.1 error when relaying the message to the ISP host. HMS will then create a non-delivery-report (NDR) message and place the NDR in the originators mailbox. You are probably seeing the "501 5.7.1 [P9] Permission denied you cannot change your from address" as a part of the text of the body of the NDR, but this is actually the response code generated by the ISP server when HMS issues an envelope verb, most likely MAIL FROM:.

Check the configuration of the Outlook client. Any client whose local mail confirmation sets their email address to a value other then the value you have for the Username on the Settings | Protocols | SMTP | Delivery of mail page is likely to result in emails being returned to sender with that error.

IMO, the changes your ISP has made to their SMTP service have made it unsuitable for use with an MTA (mail transfer agent, i.e hMailServer) servicing multiple local users and you should investigate alternatives.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-24 20:47

mikedibella wrote:
2020-12-23 05:07
1. Can you confirm that you have ALL of the Outlook clients configured to use hMailServer as the SMTP target in the account settings? None of the Outlook client are using the ISP mail server as the SMTP target?

2. Outlook clients configured to use hMailServer as the mail client will submit messages for delivery to HMS and HMS will encounter the 501 5.7.1 error when relaying the message to the ISP host. HMS will then create a non-delivery-report (NDR) message and place the NDR in the originators mailbox. You are probably seeing the "501 5.7.1 [P9] Permission denied you cannot change your from address" as a part of the text of the body of the NDR, but this is actually the response code generated by the ISP server when HMS issues an envelope verb, most likely MAIL FROM:.

3. Check the configuration of the Outlook client. Any client whose local mail confirmation sets their email address to a value other then the value you have for the Username on the Settings | Protocols | SMTP | Delivery of mail page is likely to result in emails being returned to sender with that error.

4. IMO, the changes your ISP has made to their SMTP service have made it unsuitable for use with an MTA (mail transfer agent, i.e hMailServer) servicing multiple local users and you should investigate alternatives.
1. I only have one Outlook, mine, im the only user, i said that before. The screen shots show the single setup answering your question. I HAVE to set the mail.fuse.net as SMTP. I tried setting it as my domain and got a diff error. ONLY the hardwired machine has this issue. Im going to look for my wifi adapter later to see if that bypasses the error somehow.

4. I have multiple domains, and told them they cant possibly restrict users to ONE email address to authenticate from for people who use them as ISP, but not as email, like any major company.

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-12-24 21:34

If my hypothesis is correct, it doesn't matter how many client or user principals you are trying to support. It only matter which sending identities you are trying to relay messages for, through the ISP server. If my analysis is correct, the ISP will only relay messages from the @zoomtown.com identity you are using to authenticate to the ISP's server.

Try sending an email from this address, if it goes though, my analysis is probably correct, and the issue is not with the configuration of hMailServer, and it is unlikely that any HMS configuration is going to solve your issue.

You can keep using this ISP for connectivity, but you should investigate another service provider for SMTP relay service.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-27 19:09

mikedibella wrote:
2020-12-24 21:34
If my hypothesis is correct, it doesn't matter how many client or user principals you are trying to support. It only matter which sending identities you are trying to relay messages for, through the ISP server. If my analysis is correct, the ISP will only relay messages from the @zoomtown.com identity you are using to authenticate to the ISP's server.

Try sending an email from this address, if it goes though, my analysis is probably correct, and the issue is not with the configuration of hMailServer, and it is unlikely that any HMS configuration is going to solve your issue.

You can keep using this ISP for connectivity, but you should investigate another service provider for SMTP relay service.
I know its not an hM issue, but as one other confirmed, there isnt anything on the internet about this specific error. I mean, in the nicest way, did you read any of this thread?

mikedibella
Senior user
Senior user

Post by mikedibella » 2020-12-27 19:29

I think you’ve been getting sound advice all along. As I see it you have two choices:

1. Take it up with your isp
2. Find another provider

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-28 17:36

Now im getting the error from hM, on wifi AND over cell.

Furball Zen
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Furball Zen » 2020-12-28 18:59

So, as i suspected, since my domains dont match the user name that i authenticate with, thats where its getting tripped up. Finally got a supervisor that could grasp the whole picture and is going to put in an exception request for my account as a small business. I think part of it might be that my physical address is residential, but im a business class customer, so that might be part of the trigger.