Send mail and not receive without domain/records - possible?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Adriansun
New user
New user

Send mail and not receive without domain/records - possible?

Post by Adriansun » 2020-07-24 19:58

Hello everybody!

I am new to this, and I have a Java project where I am trying to lower all costs and dependencies as much as possible.
There are two options: Send mails through the Java program with e.g., Gmail (50 mails for free per day) or MailChimp (10.000 mail per month for free). Both of these companies (and others) can change and close accounts at their own will and change the amount of free emails, which is not good at all. The other option is to go with my own mail server. The problem now is that I believe that I cannot just use my own IP-address as a setup for the hmailserver. I need a domain name, which is not a great cost, but is a cost and also a dependency towards someone else. Which is not good.

I am wondering; can someone like me, who has a Java program that will never receive mail, but only send out mails, use ones own computer IP-address instead of a domain name that need to be registered?
Mails that are suppose to be send/processed: verification mails (no-reply) for new users and maybe a news letter (no-reply).

Is this possible somehow?

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Send mail and not receive without domain/records - possible?

Post by Virinum » 2020-07-24 21:29

You could do that. But your mails will definitely go to the spam folder of the recipients or don’t get accepted by the receiving mail servers.

Most IP addresses for private use are on blacklists, or your ISP blocks outgoing port 25 completely.

Also which domain do you want to set in the from address? If you take one which doesn’t exists, that will result in more mails in spam folders. Because receiving mail servers will check if the sending domain has MX records.

Adriansun
New user
New user

Post by Adriansun » 2020-07-25 00:40

Okay... So you are saying that a domain name is basically a must if I understand you right.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-25 03:31

Get a relay service. No need to worry about reputation, etc. There are even free ones with some limits. Then you don't need a domain at all and the relay service provides the reputation, dkim, spf, etc.

What kind of volume are you looking at?

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2020-07-25 11:29

Adriansun wrote:
2020-07-25 00:40
Okay... So you are saying that a domain name is basically a must if I understand you right.
Yes. Even for relay services you need a domain. At least for all relay services I tested a domain was necessary.

Also you shouldn’t get one of those cheap new top level domains. They get a bad rating from most anti spam software.

You may ask yourself why it’s that complicated to send your own mails (domain, MX records, SPF, DKIM, IP reputation etc.). If these things wouldn’t be necessary, spammer would have an easy life.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-25 14:13

Virinum wrote:
2020-07-25 11:29
p
Yes. Even for relay services you need a domain. At least for all relay services I tested a domain was necessary.
:oops: i forgot you need to park spf, etc records somewhere... :oops:

This can be done with a free ddns domain. Many allow dns txt records. Some for free.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-25 14:22

I *think* dynu.com offers free txt records. I have a membership subscription with them, so i already get full service dns and can't test it out. But here's a snippet from their website:
Features
We keep packing new features into our dynamic DNS service. Supported features include web redirect, wildcard alias, offline settings, most DNS records, locations etc.
I'm assuming that applies to the free ones since it's part of their marketing.

They also have an api, which makes automated wildcard ssl possible. I use win-acme + a script i found and modified.

Also, for $10/ year, they'll relay for you, but it's limited to a single domain. Not a bad option for the OP, i think, because it sounds like he just wants a notification or newsletter service and all messages will be sent from a single domain anyway.