Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Post Reply
User avatar
jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-05-28 11:49
Location: US

Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by jim.bus » 2020-01-18 01:24

Email to hMailServer was working fine as of 1-16-20. Some time after midnight on 1-17-20, hMailServer seemingly has stopped receiving connections meaning no incoming email has been received and no connections from my Outlook 365 Client has been accepted. I have tried sending from my GMail ID to my hMailServer Email ID Account with no connection being made to hMailServer in the Logs. I can connect using Administrator Utility but that seemingly is the only way I can connect to hMailServer.

I have rebooted Windows several times. Rebooted Router several times. I have tried Telnet to hMailServer (but done from same machine as hMailServer runs on). I have checked all the ports on Router, Windows Firewall (McAfee) but still cannot connect to hMailServer.

Checking the hMailServer Logs, I cannot find any indication of a connection attempt from anywhere being made.

I have checked my Router's listing of what devices have DHCP Leases and I cannot find an entry for the computer hMailServer runs on. My Router does show however that the hMailServer computer is in the Network as a Static Local IP Address which is how it should show. I believe I have seen leases show for my static IP Addresses in the past. I have released, renewed, flushed DNS Cache, and Registerdns as well.

I have checked my MX Records in my DNS Server.

I have reinstalled hMailServer as well.

The only thing which looks strange is the lack of a DHCP Lease on my Local IP Address for the computer hMailServer runs on.

Does anyone have an idea as to what might be preventing the connections?

User avatar
jimimaseye
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8306
Joined: 2011-09-08 17:48

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-01-18 02:19

My money is on this:
Windows Firewall (McAfee)
Only by turning off completely all firewalls and av software's can you properly rule them out. Also check off there were any auto updates (windows? ) on the day in question. (You say you have tried to telnet but didn't say if you were successful or not.)

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

User avatar
jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-05-28 11:49
Location: US

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by jim.bus » 2020-01-18 03:57

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-01-18 02:19
My money is on this:
Windows Firewall (McAfee)
Only by turning off completely all firewalls and av software's can you properly rule them out. Also check off there were any auto updates (windows? ) on the day in question. (You say you have tried to telnet but didn't say if you were successful or not.)
I have turned off all the Firewalls as far as I can tell. Windows Defender does run on a schedule but apparently Windows Defender Run Time is not active.

When I Telnet to hMailServer, I checked Ports, 25, 995, and 587, all failed to connect. I tried Telnet to Hostname and actual IP Address and the Telnet failed to connect.

Now grasping at straws, I wonder if I may have reached the limit to the number of email transactions hMailServer will allow you to run on a lifetime basis of the installation. I forget what this limit is called but there is a built in limit to the number of transactions you may run in hMailServer.

However, before I sent this response, I just did one final check for problem and have found where the problem is. Checking the Error Log files, I see where hMailServer failed to load the Certificate file. I had thought of this earlier as well but didn't immediately any such errors in the Log files I normally check and the normal Log Files didn't even show an attempt being made to connect so I was thrown off by this. I have been having some trouble getting a new Let's Encrypt Certificate and seemingly had finally gotten one successfully but it looks like there may be something wrong with it or perhaps I did something like load the privkey certificated in the wrong location in hmailServer. I will check and retry loading again.

User avatar
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 3321
Joined: 2006-08-21 15:38
Location: Denmark

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by SorenR » 2020-01-18 04:23

jim.bus wrote:
2020-01-18 03:57
Now grasping at straws, I wonder if I may have reached the limit to the number of email transactions hMailServer will allow you to run on a lifetime basis of the installation. I forget what this limit is called but there is a built in limit to the number of transactions you may run in hMailServer.
"The limit is 2 billion messages." Now, that's what Martin wrote and as we all know, a Swedish "billion" is not the same as an American "billion" :mrgreen:

A billion = 10^12 = 1.000.000.000.000
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-05-28 11:49
Location: US

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by jim.bus » 2020-01-18 04:41

Don't know about Seden but isn't most of Europe outside of UK on Metric which doesn't have a 'Billion'.

Well, the Certificate Error was an error but as I quickly realized it probably wouldn't have caused the failure to connect and even though I attempted to correct the Certificate Error there still is something wrong with the Certificate but I still do not believe that is the problem because when attempting to connect with Outlook 365, I still do not see any indication that a Connection attempt was made to hMailServer in the Logs.

The Certificate Error seems to be showing up when I attempt to restart hMailServer such as when I do a Windows Reboot. I tried Telnet to hMailServer and I still get a failure to connect on Port 25 and 995. It's possible that my ISP all of a sudden closed Port 25 but I doubt it would close Port 995 as well. Could the fact there is not a Router DHCP Lease for my hMailServer computer be the cause?

User avatar
jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-05-28 11:49
Location: US

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by jim.bus » 2020-01-18 05:20

jim.bus wrote:
2020-01-18 04:41

Well, the Certificate Error was an error but as I quickly realized it probably wouldn't have caused the failure to connect and even though I attempted to correct the Certificate Error there still is something wrong with the Certificate but I still do not believe that is the problem because when attempting to connect with Outlook 365, I still do not see any indication that a Connection attempt was made to hMailServer in the Logs.
Well I was wrong again. My first declaration that the error was the Certificate Error was apparently correct.

After I cleared up the Certificate Error, connections to hMailServer started working again and I received all my back logged email stored on my MX Email Backup Server which was missed by my primary hMailServer being unavailable for connections.

User avatar
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 3321
Joined: 2006-08-21 15:38
Location: Denmark

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by SorenR » 2020-01-18 06:03

jim.bus wrote:
2020-01-18 04:41
Don't know about Seden but isn't most of Europe outside of UK on Metric which doesn't have a 'Billion'.

Well, the Certificate Error was an error but as I quickly realized it probably wouldn't have caused the failure to connect and even though I attempted to correct the Certificate Error there still is something wrong with the Certificate but I still do not believe that is the problem because when attempting to connect with Outlook 365, I still do not see any indication that a Connection attempt was made to hMailServer in the Logs.

The Certificate Error seems to be showing up when I attempt to restart hMailServer such as when I do a Windows Reboot. I tried Telnet to hMailServer and I still get a failure to connect on Port 25 and 995. It's possible that my ISP all of a sudden closed Port 25 but I doubt it would close Port 995 as well. Could the fact there is not a Router DHCP Lease for my hMailServer computer be the cause?
Why would "billion" not be part of the metric system (Long Scale)?

Code: Select all

             1,   10^1, 10^2,    10^3,     10^6,    10^9,     10^12,    10^15,       10^18,       10^21,      10^24
 Long scale: One, ten,  hundred, thousand, million, milliard, billion,  billiard,    trillion,    trilliard,  quadrillion
Short scale: One, ten,  hundred, thousand, million, billion,  trillion, quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion
Could the missing DHCP lease be due to the server is configured with a fixed IP?

Did you check the "link active" LED's on switch and network card?
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde

User avatar
jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 310
Joined: 2011-05-28 11:49
Location: US

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by jim.bus » 2020-01-18 11:37

SorenR wrote:
2020-01-18 06:03
jim.bus wrote:
2020-01-18 04:41
Don't know about Seden but isn't most of Europe outside of UK on Metric which doesn't have a 'Billion'.

Well, the Certificate Error was an error but as I quickly realized it probably wouldn't have caused the failure to connect and even though I attempted to correct the Certificate Error there still is something wrong with the Certificate but I still do not believe that is the problem because when attempting to connect with Outlook 365, I still do not see any indication that a Connection attempt was made to hMailServer in the Logs.

The Certificate Error seems to be showing up when I attempt to restart hMailServer such as when I do a Windows Reboot. I tried Telnet to hMailServer and I still get a failure to connect on Port 25 and 995. It's possible that my ISP all of a sudden closed Port 25 but I doubt it would close Port 995 as well. Could the fact there is not a Router DHCP Lease for my hMailServer computer be the cause?
Why would "billion" not be part of the metric system (Long Scale)?

Code: Select all

             1,   10^1, 10^2,    10^3,     10^6,    10^9,     10^12,    10^15,       10^18,       10^21,      10^24
 Long scale: One, ten,  hundred, thousand, million, milliard, billion,  billiard,    trillion,    trilliard,  quadrillion
Short scale: One, ten,  hundred, thousand, million, billion,  trillion, quadrillion, quintillion, sextillion, septillion
Could the missing DHCP lease be due to the server is configured with a fixed IP?

Did you check the "link active" LED's on switch and network card?
You got me on the Metric issue. I was concentrating on the 'Kilo' (for example) prefix as in a Kilometer forgetting you can have for instance a 1000 Kilometers which would be a 1000 x 1000 meters (Kilo really means 1000 not 1024 which is only in computing due to the fact computers at machine level can only think in terms of binary). But apparently until recently most of Europe used Long Scale which me being in US never heard of until you mentioned it and in Short Scale a billion would be 10^9 and Long Scale 10^12 and the apparently the term Billion is used in both Short and Long Scale but with different meanings as to the denomination. The term billiard came from the French where apparently Long Scale is prevalent. Apparently UK has taken on Short Scale after slowly adopting US Short Scale usage.

As to the DHCP Lease issue. After looking at how one of my Routers Assigned a Manual Fixed IP Address and my other Router assigned a Static Fixed IP Address, apparently when you Fix an IP Address using the DHCP Server of the Router a 'Manual' reservation for the IP Address is created as well as the Lease. However if you assign the IP Address with the Device Adapter instead of through the Router DHCP Server a Static IP Address is created in the Network apparently not controlled by the Router (an assumption on my part) and a Lease is not assigned to the Device Adapter. This might pose a conflict if someone assigned the same IP Address Manually though the DHCP Server to a Device different from the Device with the Static IP Address assigned through its Device Adapter. This is why many recommend only doing assignments through the Router DHCP Server. I have one of my computers doing a Static IP Address assignment which I didn't like doing for this very reason but I may rethink that choice because the reason for doing the assignment through the Router DHCP Server is to always reserve that IP Address for that Device and no other Device.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 1549
Joined: 2017-09-12 17:57

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by palinka » 2020-01-18 14:51

SorenR wrote:
2020-01-18 04:23
"The limit is 2 billion messages." Now, that's what Martin wrote and as we all know, a Swedish "billion" is not the same as an American "billion" :mrgreen:

A billion = 10^12 = 1.000.000.000.000
That's just crazy talk! :mrgreen:

When I set up YOURLS short url generator, there's an option for random links and you get to choose the length. I wanted the shortest possible, which is 3 characters. At first, I thought I might exhaust the possible combinations, but when I did the math, I found that by using upper and lower case letters, plus numeric digits, plus the "-" character: 63^3=250,047. That will last me a lifetime.

I think a "swedish billion" will also last a lifetime. :lol:

User avatar
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 3321
Joined: 2006-08-21 15:38
Location: Denmark

Re: Cannot Connect To hMailServer

Post by SorenR » 2020-01-18 16:17

jim.bus wrote:
2020-01-18 11:37
As to the DHCP Lease issue. After looking at how one of my Routers Assigned a Manual Fixed IP Address and my other Router assigned a Static Fixed IP Address, apparently when you Fix an IP Address using the DHCP Server of the Router a 'Manual' reservation for the IP Address is created as well as the Lease. However if you assign the IP Address with the Device Adapter instead of through the Router DHCP Server a Static IP Address is created in the Network apparently not controlled by the Router (an assumption on my part) and a Lease is not assigned to the Device Adapter. This might pose a conflict if someone assigned the same IP Address Manually though the DHCP Server to a Device different from the Device with the Static IP Address assigned through its Device Adapter. This is why many recommend only doing assignments through the Router DHCP Server. I have one of my computers doing a Static IP Address assignment which I didn't like doing for this very reason but I may rethink that choice because the reason for doing the assignment through the Router DHCP Server is to always reserve that IP Address for that Device and no other Device.
Well...

30 years of networking private and corporate networks have taught me to segment IP address ranges into Fixed IP, DHCP assigned static IP and DHCP assigned IP. Sometimes you can do with a class C network and sometimes you need a full class A network...

My WiFi AP's, managed switches, servers and routers are all Fixed IP as they are "The Core". "Known" clients and IoT's are DHCP assigned static IP since I know their MAC addresses and anything else that is either unimportant or I do not have the receipt for are just DHCP assigned IP. The latter are the only ones NOT defined in my internal DNS.

DNS/DHCP is hosted on my NAS. I have "backup" on my Windows Server that I can activate if NAS is down.

I rummaged round the house and I believe I found most of it...

1 4G Router w. firewall - my Cisco ASA5505 still sits in a drawer for licensing reasons :wink:
2 Managed Gigabit Switches (8 + 16 ports)
3 WiFi AP's
2 WiFi cameras (driveway and access area)
1 "portable" WiFi printer/scanner
20 "known" client interfaces (LAN and WiFi interfaces on PC's, laptops, phones and tablets)
5 heaters (IoT)
3 servers
3 media devices (SmartTV, appleTV or Chromecast)

We are 4 people and 1 dog ;-)
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde

Post Reply