Local Email server in isolate network

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
bbarbour
New user
New user

Local Email server in isolate network

Post by bbarbour » 2019-12-31 23:02

We have a local network completely isolated from the internet. For purposes of this discussion, let's call the domain ISO. There are 2 servers on the network. One server is the domain server. For purposes of this discussion, let's call that computer name DOMAIN-SERVER. The other server is designated for running 2020 Autodesk Vault Professional. For purposes of this discussion, let's call that computer name VAULT-SERVER. Vault Professional will communicate via email. Since this network is isolated from the internet, Vault can't access our regular email accounts. Therefore, I was hoping I could create our own local email server and create our own email accounts from scratch such as b.barbour@iso.com. From all that I've read, I'm hoping hMailServer can be that solution. Both servers are running the 2012 R2 OS. VAULT-SERVER also is running SQL Server 2017. I installed hMailServer on VAULT-SERVER. Running hMailServer Database Setup...

Step 2 of 7, I click "Create a new hMailServer database"
Step 3 of 7, I select "Microsoft SQL Server"
Step 4 of 7, I type for the following...
Database Server Address: VAULT-SERVER
Port: is grayed out
Database Name: ISO ("ISO" doesn't actually exist. I assume this is the name given to the new database I'm creating and can be whatever I want to call it.)
I selected "Use server authentication" and entered the Administrator username and password.
Step 5 of 7, I'm not sure what to select here so I left it blank and clicked "Next."
Step 6 of 7, it says finished but when I click next, I get "ADO: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

mattg

Re: Local Email server in isolate network

Post by mattg » 2020-01-01 08:08

bbarbour wrote:
2019-12-31 23:02
I selected "Use server authentication" and entered the Administrator username and password.
Step 5 of 7, I'm not sure what to select here so I left it blank and clicked "Next."
Step 6 of 7, it says finished but when I click next, I get "ADO: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied."
Was that a valid SQL Server username and password? I expect not

Try it as Windows Authentication mode, that will use a Windows account if they have suitable permissions, ie a Windows administrator
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-01-01 08:44

This detailed hMailServer Installguide should help you with your Problem.

https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 21&t=32852

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-02 15:59

mattg wrote:
2020-01-01 08:08
Was that a valid SQL Server username and password? I expect not

Try it as Windows Authentication mode, that will use a Windows account if they have suitable permissions, ie a Windows administrator
Tried using Windows Authentication mode and get the same error. I also tried going into SQL Server to try my login and see if it works. I'm not exactly how to do that because I didn't see an icon for "SQL Server", but I clicked on SQL Server Configuration Manager and PowerShell. There was no prompt to login. Perhaps I'm missing something such as SQL Server Management Studio or something else? I attached screen captures to show what I have. Perhaps that'll shed some light on if something is missing.
Attachments
AR Programs.jpg
apps.jpg

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-01-03 04:39

Looks like you have full SQL server installed
You should know a SA password for that install...

Create a user in SQL, with a known password and use that newly created username and password

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/re ... rver-ver15
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-03 18:51

I installed SSMS. Everything is setup as "Windows Authentication" and I get into SSMS just find. So I tried hMailServer Database Configuration again. This time using "Windows Authentication." I put the name "ISO" in the database name box. "ISO" doesn't exist yet. I presume this exercise is to create "ISO." Am I correct? ...Or do I need to create "ISO" through SSMS first? I still get the same error. Can this work with "Windows Authentication" if everything is setup that way? Only the Administrator logs into the server anyway. ...Or do I need to setup a SA in SSMS in order for this to work?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-01-04 00:28

It's not about which user logs into the hMailserver administrator as much as it is about which user runs the hMailserver service

That is normally 'local system'

If the database is on the local machine, the local system should see it

And yes hMailsevrer database installer will create and set up the database, and so the user needs permissions to create databases and tables etc TO INSTALL a database.

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-06 18:45

So, I still don't know why I'm getting "ADO: [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied." I attempted to setup a user in SSMS, but failed. It said something about not having permission. I don't know why I wouldn't. I setup the server from scratch back in November. I installed 2012 R2 on a blank drive. I installed Autodesk Vault Professional. The Vault Professional installation setup IIS and SQL. I was never prompted to setup a "SA" account or password. The only account that ever logs into this computer is the Windows Administrator. When I open SSMS, it goes straight into the Vault database using "Windows Authentication." I don't know why I can't use "Window Authentication" when creating a database in the hMailServer database utility. SQL, SSMS, Autodesk Vault Pro, and hMailServer is all on the same computer.
Attachments
Database Setup 6.jpg

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-01-06 19:17

Could it be a firewall rule setup by Autodesk?

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-01-06 19:26

On the same Machine, its not blocked by Windows Firewall.

I guess you didn't enabled TCP/IP Connection
in the MS-SQL Server Configuration Assistant.
Without it, only Namedpipes Connection Strings like
LOCALHOST\SQLEXPRESS will work as Server name.

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-06 21:34

Is "SQL Server Configuration Manager" the same as "MS-SQL Server Configuration Assistant"? I found 2 areas to enable Named Pipes and TCP/IP in SQL Server Configuration Manager. They both were already enabled in Client Protocols. They both were disabled in "AUTODESKVAULT" so I enabled them and rebooted the server. It still didn't work. I tried it with the server name and I tried it with "LOCALHOST\SQLEXPRESS." By the way, AUTODESKVAULT is the only database that currently exists in SQL. That's the database that Autodesk Vault Professional uses to store files. I "assume" when going through the hMailServer Database Configuration, I'm supposed to enter a new name for the new database I'm trying to create for email accounts and not the AUTODESKVAULT database?
Attachments
AUTODESKVAULT.jpg
Client.jpg

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-01-07 05:23

can you please show the contents of your hmailserver.ini (without the passwords)

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-07 15:32

Password is "****" out. Other than that, here's what my ini looks like.
Attachments
hmailserver_ini.jpg

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-01-07 15:35

Where is the [database] entry?

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-07 16:46

Your guess is better than mine. Could that be the problem? Perhaps the database entry isn't getting written to the ini? Perhaps if I manually edited the ini, would that resolve my problem? What should the ini look like?

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-01-07 17:50

Rum dbsetupquick.exe and see how you get on.

5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-07 20:17

I clicked on dbsetupquick.exe and nothing happened.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-01-07 21:23

I suspect your problem is in your proces here:
bbarbour wrote:
2019-12-31 23:02
Step 2 of 7, I click "Create a new hMailServer database"
Step 3 of 7, I select "Microsoft SQL Server"
Step 4 of 7, I type for the following...
Database Server Address: VAULT-SERVER
Port: is grayed out
Database Name: ISO ("ISO" doesn't actually exist. I assume this is the name given to the new database I'm creating and can be whatever I want to call it.)

Now its been a LONG time since I set up a new install, and Ive never done one to MSSql Server.... but I guess the above (highlighted) is where your error lies.

Try again.
5.7 on test.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-01-07 23:02

bbarbour wrote:
2020-01-07 20:17
I clicked on dbsetupquick.exe and nothing happened.
Try the DBSetup.exe

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-07 23:06

I go through the steps and get the same error.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-01-08 06:14

did you leave step 5 blank again?
What does that question say?

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-08 19:27

Yes, I left step 5 blank. If not blank, what should be in there? See attached.
Attachments
Step 5.jpg

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-01-08 20:48

I'd guess it is sql server as that is what you are creating the database on.

5.7 on test.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-01-09 00:28

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-01-08 20:48
I'd guess it is sql server as that is what you are creating the database on.
Me too

SQL Server(AutoDeskVault) seems the logical choice to me - if that is where you want the database created

This step just sets a service dependency though, it doesn't create the database

I'd use the EXACT same naming convention for the step 4 where you select WHERE the database is to be installed. In your earlier posts you called the database server address VAULT-SERVER, I'd think that needs to be 'AutoDeskVault'

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-01-09 09:52

If that sql service isn't running then it won't be able to create the database. Setting the dependency ensure it will run at this time.

5.7 on test.

bbarbour
New user
New user

Post by bbarbour » 2020-01-09 17:35

My problem is resolved now. I install a 2nd SQL. This time SQL 2016 since that is the latest supported according to hMailServer requirements. So, AutodeskVault database is running in SQL 2017 and I created a "hMailSever" database that runs in SQL 2016. One more thing, I believe I had to put both the computer name and database for the database path for step 4. That all seemed to work. Now my email server is all setup but I can't get the clients to connect. I might start a new post if I can't figure it out. Thanks everyone for your time and effort to get my problem resolved!