Question about debug err: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
webguyz
Normal user
Normal user

Question about debug err: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

Post by webguyz » 2019-07-18 18:44

The complete error is:

"The read operation failed. Bytes transferred: 0 Remote IP: 12x.xxx.xxx.80, Session: 1428701, Code: 10054, Message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

The first part says read operation failed which makes it sound like its a hardware problem on my hmailserver, but then again I am only seeing this error on one Exchange server I am the smarthost for.

Could it mean that the read attempt was not attempted because the remote connection forced a disconnect??

Thanks!

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Question about debug err: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

Post by SorenR » 2019-07-19 01:06

webguyz wrote:
2019-07-18 18:44
The complete error is:

"The read operation failed. Bytes transferred: 0 Remote IP: 12x.xxx.xxx.80, Session: 1428701, Code: 10054, Message: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

The first part says read operation failed which makes it sound like its a hardware problem on my hmailserver, but then again I am only seeing this error on one Exchange server I am the smarthost for.

Could it mean that the read attempt was not attempted because the remote connection forced a disconnect??

Thanks!
I get them from time to time due to the way I handle BOT's and SPAM. It is when sender simply clears the IP connection and not do "a clean exit".

Similar to you arguing with wife on the phone and she hang up. :wink:
SørenR.

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.”
- Oscar Wilde

webguyz
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Question about debug err: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

Post by webguyz » 2019-07-20 17:05

So your saying the first part of the error, "The read operation failed. Bytes transferred: 0" doe not indicate a problem with my hmailserver but rather that fact that the Exchange server I'm trying to deliver to disconnected. Usually when I see Read Operation Failed I think of a hardware read issue on my side, but we use RAM disk for all spooling in and out.

Thanks.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-07-20 18:14

It is an problematic Errror message but in this context it means the folliwing.

A Remoteclient (can be SMTP, POP3 or IMAP)
just connected sucessfully (with or whout SSL/TLS)
and hMailServer is now Ready for example SMTP
Command tokens like HELO, MAIL FROM, RCPT TO:,
ect.But the Client doesnt sebd comnand token.
Instead 0 Bytes are transferred and the connection was aborted without proper closing commands by the client.

You can simulate this behavior if you use for example telnet localhost 25 and kill telnet.exe by Taskmanager. This will lead to the same Error message in hMailServers log.

This is not a bug. Its a expected reaction of hMailServer caused by the remote client.