New hMailServer installation on Azure VM cannot connect to mail.hmailserver.com

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
shaulbehr
New user
New user

New hMailServer installation on Azure VM cannot connect to mail.hmailserver.com

Post by shaulbehr » 2019-05-31 10:04

Hi,
I'm setting up hMailServer on a new Azure VM. I've successfully sent a mail from my email client, and it arrived in the hMailServer outbound queue, but from there it gets stuck.
I ran
> telnet mail.hmailserver.com 25
and it replies:
> Connecting To mail.hmailserver.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed
I've made specific outbound rules opening port 25, both in the Windows Firewall, and in the Azure Network Security Group.
Now what?

shaulbehr
New user
New user

Re: New hMailServer installation on Azure VM cannot connect to mail.hmailserver.com

Post by shaulbehr » 2019-05-31 10:41

Update: according to this answer, Azure does not allow connections to external port 25.
Does hMailServer have another port I can connect to?

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: New hMailServer installation on Azure VM cannot connect to mail.hmailserver.com

Post by palinka » 2019-05-31 12:15

You can set smtp to any port you want but unless you can get it to port 25 somehow, nobody will ever receive your messages.

Search for port 25 outbound redirect service. There are a couple of free ones that might meet your needs if your volume is low enough to fit within their limitations.