Cant start hMailserver Administrator

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
DAHN
New user
New user

Cant start hMailserver Administrator

Post by DAHN » 2019-04-19 00:12

Hi

I have a server with Windows Server 2012 R2 64bit - and hMailserver has been installed and has worked fine for several years now. The hMailserver is configured to connect to a MySQL 8 server as 'localhost' (MySQL is installed on the same server).
But now I suddenly cant start hMailserver Administrator - and I know it has worked before.
When I try to start hMailserver Administrator I can see it in the taskbar - but nothing happens when I click on it.
(the database configuration tool works fine by the way).

I found this thread https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24828 and I have tried all the suggestions there without any luck.
All the services I can see hMailserver depends on is running and starts automatically when Windows starts.
(when I installed hMailserver I also choosed that hMailserver should wait for MySQL to start on system startup).

I have scanned the ports with "netstat -p tcp -a -b" - but none of the ports hMailserver uses conflicts with other programs.

I have also tried to choose 'Run as administrator' when I tried to run hMailserver Administrator - but it will still not start.

The server is running (as a service) as it should - it is only the administrator API which wont run.

I have also tried to stop and uninstall the anti-virus program on the server - but still the same result with hMailserver Administrator.

Nothing happens in the Windows Event Manager when I try to open hMailserver Administrator.

And I can also close the program again via Windows Task Manager - and no error occurs - then it just disappears as it should in the taskbar...

I know hMailserver Administrator worked on the server for about 3 months ago - and I am the only one who has administrator rights to it - so I know the only thing that has been changed during the last 3 months is that Windows has been been updated via Windows Update - and it has installed all the important updates...

So is there any known issues about the compatibility between hMailserver Administrator and one or more updates to Windows Server 2012 R2..?

Or do you have any idea to how to solve this program - so I can run hMailserver Administrator and use it..?

Thanks.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Cant start hMailserver Administrator

Post by Dravion » 2019-04-19 02:18

There are known Problems with MySQL 8.x.
Chech this https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 10&t=33531

DAHN
New user
New user

Post by DAHN » 2019-04-20 05:30

Thank you for your answer.

I have also tried to install hMailserver where I choosed "Use built-in database engine (Microsoft SQL compact)" when I installed it - and the same problem appears - that I cant open hMailserver Administrator...

The MySQL 8 is configured to use Legacy authentication method.

- I forgot to mention in my first post - that the server also has been rebooted everytime I have installed hMailserver.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-04-22 05:06

What does your hMailserver error log say?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-04-22 12:24

DAHN wrote:
2019-04-20 05:30
Thank you for your answer.

I have also tried to install hMailserver where I choosed "Use built-in database engine (Microsoft SQL compact)" when I installed it - and the same problem appears - that I cant open hMailserver Administrator...

The MySQL 8 is configured to use Legacy authentication method.

- I forgot to mention in my first post - that the server also has been rebooted everytime I have installed hMailserver.
As you reinstalled hMailServer, did you delete hMailServer Mainfolder (default is: C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer)
or did you just over install the new version on top of the old files?

*Was it possible to run the DBSetup (the part of setup where you configure the Database)
*Did DBSetup asked you fo the Administrator Password and accepted it?

Check your .NET Installation.
hMailServerAdmin.exe depends on the .NET Framework 2.x and 3.x Components.
.NET is outdated but compatibility Components can be obtained by Installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Try the official Microsoft .NET Repair tool and check back.
https://download.microsoft.com/download ... irTool.exe

DAHN
New user
New user

Post by DAHN » 2019-04-25 03:06

There is no error-log in the hMailserver directory to see. And the event-viewer in Windows doesn't say anything about hMailserver Administrator either...

Yes - I deleted the mainfolder before I reinstalled it.
Yes it was possible to run the DBSetup - and DBSetup did also ask for the Administrator password - and accepted it - and it also created the database in MySQL as it should.

It after the DBSetup the problem occurs - when I want to open the hMailserver Administrator afterwards.

Both .NET framework 3.5 and 4.5 are installed on the server - and also a feature called ".NET framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" under .NET framework 3.5.

Is there a anywhere - where I can see which roles and features that has to be installed on the server in order to start hMailserver Administrator..?

I have tried the .NET repair tool now - and tried to install hMailserver again but unfortunately it still has the same problem.

Thank you for your help so far.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-04-25 23:33

Check your windows Event logs for the hmailserver service
Does hMailserver run and work (handle mail), without the ADMIN GUI opening?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-04-26 00:00

hMailAdmin.exe should show atleast the Login Dialog and Password Box at Startup, even it hMailServer.exe isnt registred or running.
DCOM-Runtime isnt called until the User hits the "Connect" Button.

If hMailAdmin.exe isnt showing at this point in time, it has nothing todo with hMailServer.exe Windows Service, also its not a Launch permission
or Filesystem ACL permission Problem.

hMailAdmin.exe is a C# .NET Framework App, which runs directly on .NET Framework 2.0 (and other, non .NET 2.x Components if its
a LTS Release, thats why i recommended to try repait the .NET Framework Components.

However: If someone wants to run hMailServer 5.6.7 - Build 2425 (official) or a LTS x64 Release, you can run into Problems on Windows 2012 R2
fresh installation, because the built in .NET 3.5.x (includes .NET Framework 2.x Components) are not installed and enabled by default. If hMailServer
detects this Situation, it provides a Installbutton to download and installt .NET 2 Framework Components which will fail. In this case you need to
add .NET 3.5 Framework Components via Serverwizard/Add Features) so hMailServer Admin dependencies are fullfilled.

For example:
Add_NET35.png

PS: Its also possible to enable .NET 3.x incl. .NET2 Components by inserting the Windows 2012 R2 Install DVD / USB Stick, open a elevated
Windows Command prompt (Run Command prompt as Admin) and issuing the following Command:

dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:d:\sources\sxs

Hint: the dism command assumes you have your Windows 2012 R2 Install DVD or USB-Stick inserted on Drive D:\

hMailServer hMailServer 5.6.7 - Build 2425 (official) and the last 4.x versions of LTS x64 running fine on top of Windows Server 2012 R2
vanilla (without any updates, just with .NET3 installed before hMailServer Setup as you can see.
hMS_Official_latest_32-Bit_Admin_NoWinUpdates.png
I will update my Windows Server 2012 R2 Testinstallation with all updates installed in the next post so you can see, a fully
updated / patched Windwos Server 2012 R2 can run hMailServer (32/64) without any Problem under normal circumstances.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-04-26 05:17

Ok, i just applied any update for Windows Server 2012 R2 x64 for 4/26/2019

Result, everything works as expected, hMailServer works on 2012 R2 with or without any Updates

Screenshot:
Attachments
VirtualBox_Win2012_R2_x64_26_04_2019_05_14_23.png

DAHN
New user
New user

Post by DAHN » 2019-05-08 14:35

Hello

Thank you for your help so far.

I have now tried to remove and then delete .NET framework 3.5 - and here is a screenshot of that:
hmailserver2.jpg
I have then installed hMailserver again version 5.6.7 Build 2425.

And when I try to open hMailserver Administrator it appears like this on the server:
hmailserver.jpg
And nothing happens after that.

So I have no idea what's wrong - and why it cant open - but it's the only application on this server which cant open - and appears like this.

But I have installed php instead and I am now using the webadmin instead - and that works fine.