Need help for sending mal in local network

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
hreich
New user
New user

Need help for sending mal in local network

Post by hreich » 2019-03-19 21:46

I have hmail server installed on server machine..
server internal ip is 192.168.1.80
i have another pc which is on same network - ip 192.168.1.8
and another one which is on my home network

So - when i try to connect from my home netwrok i can connect to hmail server, and thunderbird works fine
When i try to add mail account in thunderbird on the pc which is on the same network as server, i get error in thunderbird saying that it cant connect to server
I checked that options on hmail server are turned on (local to local, etc) - in my computer section, ip ranges are set lower 127.0.0.1 upper 127.0.0.1

Am i missing something? Why cant i connect to hmail server when in local network?

jimimaseye

Re: Need help for sending mal in local network

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-03-20 01:30

Check Autoban ranges to ensure it's not blocked out.

run this and post the results: https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 20&t=30914

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-20 04:43

hreich wrote:
2019-03-19 21:46
Why cant i connect to hmail server when in local network?
This is probably because your router doesn't do loopback

You can either
a) add the local IP address to the local hosts file
b) Use the local IP address in the server name fields of your mail client
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-03-20 06:04

127.0.0.x are Local Loopback Adapter
IP Adresses which only works for the local Computer and cannot route Data to other Local Area Networks Computers or Devices.If you want to exchange Data between diffrent Computer via TCP/IP both Computers needs a Ethernet Network Card and has to be part of the same Subnet.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-20 06:06

hreich wrote:

So - when i try to connect from my home netwrok i can connect to hmail server, and thunderbird works fine
When i try to add mail account in thunderbird on the pc which is on the same network as server, i get error in thunderbird saying that it cant connect to server
I checked that options on hmail server are turned on (local to local, etc) - in my computer section, ip ranges are set lower 127.0.0.1 upper 127.0.0.1

Am i missing something? Why cant i connect to hmail server when in local network?
Can you clarify what hostname you are using in Thunderbird for the Client PC 192.168.1.8 to connect to hMailServer running on the Server IP 192.168.1.80.
1. The hostname used in Thunderbird on the client PC IP 192.168.1.8 should be the hostname of the Server machine 192.168.1.80.
a. The Hostname you are using in Thunderbird on the PC Client with IP 192.168.1.8 on same network as server with IP 192.168.1.80 should be a hostname which resolves to 192.168.1.80 if accessed solely within
the Local Network. Your IP Range Internet ranges should be Lower: 0.0.0.0 and Upper: 255.255.255.255.
b. You should be able to access hMailServer on the Server PC with IP 192.168.1.80 also with Thunderbird from the PC Client computer with IP 192.168.1.8 by using the same hostname you used on your PC Client on
your Home Network. For this option to connect you would need to check your IP Ranges for Internet and have the IP Range for Internet set to Lower: 0.0.0.0 Upper: 255.255.255.255 and with this option your
connection from your PC Client in the Local Network IP 192.168.1.8 would be considered by hMailServer running on server IP 192.168.1.80 as an External Connection. So you need to check your Internet IP Range
Connections section as well but these I would assume would be ok since your home network PC connected ok.
c. The Internet IP Range should be Ok since the default would be Lower: 0.0.0.0 with Upper: 255.255.255.255 but if it is different I believe you would not be able to connect from the PC Client IP 192.168.1.8.
d. You are not concerned with the Computer IP Range on hMailserver with Lower: 127.2.2.1 and Lower: 127.0.0.1 as this range is only for the computer that is running hMailServer IP 192.168.1.80. IP 127.0.0.1 is an
internal IP address which designates the computer you are using at any given time. It is somewhat equivalent to localhost which means any server application running on that computer can address the server on the
same computer as IP 127.0.0.1. Since PC Client IP 192.168.1.8 is not the Server PC the address hMailServer will see is IP 192.168.1.8 not 127.1.0.1.

So I would check your Internet IP Range on hMaiolServer since you can't connect but I think this is unlikely to be entered incorrectly unless someone has altered the default Internet IP Range. I cannot say this is your case but to avoid problems like this, I make my PC Email Client (Outlook in my case) configuration look exactly as though it comes from outside the Local Network. This way my configuration will be the same whether I am connecting from a PC residing inside my Local Network or outside my Local Network. This means I would use in my PC Client (Outlook for me) the same hostname (server name) as I would on any PC Email Client no matter where the PC Client is connecting from.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-20 06:19

I do not believe he wants to refer to IP 127.0.0.1 on his IP 192.168.1.8 computer at all in the inbound or outbound mail server field of Thunderbird at all. To do so would mean he is telling Thunderbird to look for hMailServer on his PC Client IP 192.168.1.8. He needs to use in the Thunderbird Inbound/Outbound server fields a Hostname that resolves to 192.168.1.80 or just simply as was stated put the address 192.168.1.80 in these fields and everything should be fine but as I state in my prior post, I believe to simplify things he should just use the External Hostname for the Local Network the hMailServer is running in and everything should function the same way as it did in his home network or any external network. This is the way I set up my PC Client (Outlook) which runs inside the same Local Network as my hMailServer which means I can use the same email client configuration in any other Network with no changes at all in the configuration parameters. Response time might be marginally slower and there is an exposure to outside hackers but that is the way most email travels from Clients to Server anyway but there is a slightly possibly increased bit of security if the email traffic doesn't go outside just to come back inside but it simplifies configuration by not having to have two different types of configurations.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-20 06:42

Dravion wrote:
2019-03-20 06:04
127.0.0.x are Local Loopback Adapter
IP Adresses which only works for the local Computer and cannot route Data to other Local Area Networks Computers or Devices.If you want to exchange Data between diffrent Computer via TCP/IP both Computers needs a Ethernet Network Card and has to be part of the same Subnet.
Is this in reference to what I wrote?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-20 09:24

Annotation 2019-03-20 082703.png
jim.bus wrote:
2019-03-20 06:06
hreich wrote:

Can you clarify what hostname you are using in Thunderbird for the Client PC 192.168.1.8 to connect to hMailServer running on the Server IP 192.168.1.80.
1. The hostname used in Thunderbird on the client PC IP 192.168.1.8 should be the hostname of the Server machine 192.168.1.80.
a. The Hostname you are using in Thunderbird on the PC Client with IP 192.168.1.8 on same network as server with IP 192.168.1.80 should be a hostname which resolves to 192.168.1.80 if accessed solely within
the Local Network. Your IP Range Internet ranges should be Lower: 0.0.0.0 and Upper: 255.255.255.255.
b. You should be able to access hMailServer on the Server PC with IP 192.168.1.80 also with Thunderbird from the PC Client computer with IP 192.168.1.8 by using the same hostname you used on your PC Client on
your Home Network. For this option to connect you would need to check your IP Ranges for Internet and have the IP Range for Internet set to Lower: 0.0.0.0 Upper: 255.255.255.255 and with this option your
connection from your PC Client in the Local Network IP 192.168.1.8 would be considered by hMailServer running on server IP 192.168.1.80 as an External Connection. So you need to check your Internet IP Range
Connections section as well but these I would assume would be ok since your home network PC connected ok.
c. The Internet IP Range should be Ok since the default would be Lower: 0.0.0.0 with Upper: 255.255.255.255 but if it is different I believe you would not be able to connect from the PC Client IP 192.168.1.8.
d. You are not concerned with the Computer IP Range on hMailserver with Lower: 127.2.2.1 and Lower: 127.0.0.1 as this range is only for the computer that is running hMailServer IP 192.168.1.80. IP 127.0.0.1 is an
internal IP address which designates the computer you are using at any given time. It is somewhat equivalent to localhost which means any server application running on that computer can address the server on the
same computer as IP 127.0.0.1. Since PC Client IP 192.168.1.8 is not the Server PC the address hMailServer will see is IP 192.168.1.8 not 127.1.0.1.

So I would check your Internet IP Range on hMaiolServer since you can't connect but I think this is unlikely to be entered incorrectly unless someone has altered the default Internet IP Range. I cannot say this is your case but to avoid problems like this, I make my PC Email Client (Outlook in my case) configuration look exactly as though it comes from outside the Local Network. This way my configuration will be the same whether I am connecting from a PC residing inside my Local Network or outside my Local Network. This means I would use in my PC Client (Outlook for me) the same hostname (server name) as I would on any PC Email Client no matter where the PC Client is connecting from.
As hostname I am using somename.no-ip.net (we have set up no.ip dynamic DNS hostname) - and as described, when i connect from my home network with hostname somename.no-ip.net it works..When i connect from local network with the same hostname i cant connect..
If i setup ip of server 192.168.1.80 then it works, but if user moves his latop and connect through external network than using hostname 192.168.1.80 wouldnt work..
The client need to have his laptop moving around, so he has to access from local and external network on the same laptop..

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-03-20 09:57

hreich wrote:
2019-03-20 09:24
As hostname I am using somename.no-ip.net (we have set up no.ip dynamic DNS hostname) - and as described, when i connect from my home network with hostname somename.no-ip.net it works..When i connect from local network with the same hostname i cant connect..
If i setup ip of server 192.168.1.80 then it works, but if user moves his latop and connect through external network than using hostname 192.168.1.80 wouldnt work..
From the laptop (CMD), run

nslookup somename.no-ip.net

and see what it returns. If it returns the external ip address of your router then it is a loopback problem as Mattg described). If it doesnt then it is local DNS routing problem within your network.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-20 11:18

jimimaseye wrote:
2019-03-20 09:57
hreich wrote:

and see what it returns. If it returns the external ip address of your router then it is a loopback problem as Mattg described). If it doesnt then it is local DNS routing problem within your network.
Yes it returns external ip adress -- so regarding Mattq's solution there are two options:
You can either

If I use b) solution and add local ip adress in mail client - will user be able to connect when on external network?
What does a) solution mean? (sorry but i am still learning all this stuff)

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-20 11:21

jimimaseye asked the question I was about to ask you.

That question is what IP Address does someone.no-ip.net resolve to when you are external to your Local Network. It should resolve to the external (WAN IP of your Router).

However, I think we are introducing a parameter to this problem that may not exist. In all the posts for this topic, I cannot find anywhere hreich says he used 127.0.0.1 as a hostname IP Address to connect to hMailServer. Everything I see indicates he is using the hostname someone.no-ip.net which should cause the connection to connect externally through the WAN IP and ordinarily then the Local Network Router would through Port Forwarding would Forward the hMailServer traffic to in this case IP 192.168.1.80 (hMailServer LAN IP).

This leads me to believe (independently from jimimaseye as I was already suspecting this) like jimimaseye was indicating that this might be a Local Network DNS Server problem. hreich should look at what DNS Server his Local Network Router uses as this DNS Server may not include the someone.no-ip.net DDNS Hostname. The Local Network Router may be using a Local DNS Server for instance which does not have the DDNS Hostname in it and thus cause a connection failure to hMailServer.

hjreich needs to verify what DNS Server the IP PC Client 192.168.1.8 is using inside the Local Network. One problem we are having in maybe understanding his issue is too that his first explanation implied he was trying to connect from a Home PC Client and then trying to connect with another PC Client which was connected in the Local Network so it looked like he was talking about 3 PCs (Server IP 192.168.1.80, PC Client IP 192.168.1.8, and Home PC Client presumably a separate PC Client from Local Network). His statements now of the problem is he wants to be able to connect from a [portable] Laptop both External to the Local Network and Internal to the Local Network meaning he wants to be able to take the Laptop anywhere and be able to connect without reconfiguring the Laptop PC Client. This is precisely why I stated the configuration should be just as it was configured at the Home PC Client.

All this then makes me believe it is a Local Network DNS Server issue and hreich needs to confirm what IP Address someone.no-ip.net resolves to when inside his Local Network. If it is different or non-existent then hreich will need to address the Local Network DNS Server issue so that the same External IP WAN Address gets used for someone.no-ip.net when external to Local Network as when internal to Local Network.

A simple test and could also be permanent configuration would be to take the PC Client hreich wants to be portable both inside and outside the Local Network and just use the same DNS Server IP Address his home PC Client uses or some other external DNS Server. hreich would do this by setting up in the PC Client Adapter Connection properties to use this DNS Server Address. If this solves the problem then just leave the DNS Server IP Address as it is and this would be the solution to the problem. A different way to fix the problem would be to find out why the Router couldn't use the other DNS Server IP Address and if there would be no problem doing it this way then simply change the Router's DNS Server IP Address and problem solved but using this solution concerns me because apparently it looks like hMailServer may be Relaying to yet another Email Server and this may be why the Local DNS Server could be different from all the other External DNS Servers.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-20 11:28

hreich wrote:
2019-03-20 11:18
Yes it returns external ip adress -- so regarding Mattq's solution there are two options:
You can either

If I use b) solution and add local ip adress in mail client - will user be able to connect when on external network?
If you want to use the laptop both from within the LAN and on the internet, then you will need loopback on your router (Also called hairpinning) OR you will need to change the settings every time that you leave the LAN

What brand / model of router do you have?
Have you checked to see if it offers loopback?

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-20 11:37

Under protocols / SMTP
- what do i need to enter in fields Local host name (tab "delivery of e-mail" )

and Bind to local IP adress (tab "Advanced")?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-20 11:43

These settings won't affect your issue
Bind to local IP should be blank unless you have multiple NIC cards
Local host name should be anything in the form 'mail.example.com' - preferably to match your RDNS and yoru certificate name if you have one

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-20 21:03

I am curious as to why using a different DNS Server on the Laptop would not work as well.

It would seem to be the simplest solution if it would work. From hreich postings I see that the DDNS no-ip.net hostname could not be resolved. This would appear to be why he could not connect on the Server Local Network. Using the DNS Server hreich used on his home network apparently must be able to resolve the DDNS no-ip.net hostname since it works on his Home Network. Doing this would mean hreich would not have to do any changes to the Router local hosts file as I see being referred to. He would also be able to use the Laptop on the Server Local Network and on the External Internet Network without any modifications to the server name in Thunderbird's settings.

Also why are we talking about a loopback issue when I couldn't see anywhere in the postings indicating he was using the IP 127.0.0.1 or did you see it in something that was not visible to me.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-21 01:00

jim.bus wrote:
2019-03-20 21:03
I am curious as to why using a different DNS Server on the Laptop would not work as well.
CLEARLY the DNS used by the laptop works fine, It gives the correct external IP address from nslookup somename.no-ip.net

The ONLY way a DNS could help in this situation is if the DNS has another ADDITIONAL zone that redirects traffic destined to the external IP to a LAN IP address.

This is achievable, but is pretty tricky to set up, and not for the meek.
Not everyone needs their own DNS (especially if you don't have a static external IP address).
jim.bus wrote:
Also why are we talking about a loopback issue when I couldn't see anywhere in the postings indicating he was using the IP 127.0.0.1 or did you see it in something that was not visible to me.
I'm NOT talking about local machine loopback as Dravion assumed too.
I'm talking specifically about a router feature called Nat Loopback, where the router loops traffic destined TO the external IP address back to itself.

The easiest solution is to enable loopback on the router if it has it. Most home routers have this feature hidden in their feature lists, it is just a matter of finding it...

Hence
mattg wrote:
2019-03-20 11:28

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-21 02:45

mattg wrote:
2019-03-21 01:00
jim.bus wrote:
CLEARLY the DNS used by the laptop works fine, It gives the correct external IP address from nslookup somename.no-ip.net

The ONLY way a DNS could help in this situation is if the DNS has another ADDITIONAL zone that redirects traffic destined to the external IP to a LAN IP address.

This is achievable, but is pretty tricky to set up, and not for the meek.
Not everyone needs their own DNS (especially if you don't have a static external IP address).
In case I was not clear by my statement regarding the Laptop using a different DNS Server, I was referring to having the Laptop's Network Adapter Properties specify the same DNS Server that hreich's home Laptop was using (in other words manually set the DNS IP Address of the Laptop as opposed to automatically obtaining the DNS IP for the Laptop). This would mean the Laptop would always use a DNS Server which had the someone.no-ip.net DDNS Hostname defined in it no matter what Local Network the Laptop connected to. There would be no need to alter any Zone information as everything would already be defined in this DNS Server. hMailServer Server would continue to use the DNS Server as defined to the Server Network because it would be using the DNS Server of the Server Network and not the Laptop's DNS Server because the Server IP 192.168.80 would be connected to the Server Network using the Server Network's DNS Server and not the Laptop's DNS Server.

there should be no problem with the Laptop using a different DNS Server because if the Laptop owner is going to travel from the Server Network to an External Local Network and expect to use the hMailServer Server for the owner's email then the owner of the Laptop would be using a different DNS Server in this External Local Network anyway. Therefore there should be not problem using a different DNS Server when in the Server Network, at least, based on what hreich has already told us.

hreich should be able to determine what DNS Server his Home Network is using just by looking at his Router Set Up GUI which should show what DNS Server his Home Network is using. hreich would then use this DNS Server IP Address in the Laptop's Network Adapter Connection Properties for connecting to any Local Network. Not just the hMailserver Server Network hreich is referring to.

In a fashion I do this myself as my Local Network Router is connected by its WAN Porte to another Gateway's (Router/Modem) LAN Port. The main Internet line comes into the Gateway and is DMZd to my Local Network Router's WAN Port. My Local Network Router uses a different DNS Server than the one the Gateway uses and this setup works fine.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-21 02:57

If you use a different DNS to get the same external ip address, how is that going to change the fact that the router isn't doing loopback?

The problem here is NOT that the DNS gives poor information, it correctly gives the right information.

SERIOUSLY
The issue here is that the router isn't doing NAT loopback

@hreich (I keep re-posting this because I want it to be the last thing in the thread - until you answer those two questions - they are important. They will provide the 'fix')
mattg wrote:

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-21 08:02

mattg,

In one of hreich postings there is a display of a report which indicates that the someone.no-ip.net external DDNS Hostname was not able to be parsed. I have not seen this nomenclature before regarding a DDNS but that appeared to mean that the someone.no-ip.net DDNS did not resolve to any IP Address which would mean if I interpreted that correctly then the DNS Server his Server Local Network was using did not have that DDNS Hostname defined to it and this would then be some kind of DNS error. I have had instances when I was using DDNS hostnames which did not resolve to anything myself. This would occur when the DDNS Server was down but I wouldn't assume that to be this particular case. However, if my interpretation of what was meant by unable to parse someone.no-ip.net is correct then Thunderbird would not be able to determine the IP Address of the hMailServer Server to be able to connect to hMailServer. hreich stated the error that was indicated was that Thunderbird could not connect to the Email Server.

To try to test this, I changed one of my Outlook 2010 email account outbound Server names to a nonexistent server name (I misspelled it). I ran an Outlook Test Account Settings of the email account and Outlook issued an error stating 'could not find the email server'.

Can you explain what was meant by the unable to parse someone.no-ip.net indication because evidently I did not understand the meaning of the not being able to parse.

Thanks.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-21 08:43

jim.bus wrote:
2019-03-21 08:02
In one of hreich postings there is a display of a report which indicates that the someone.no-ip.net external DDNS Hostname was not able to be parsed.

Can you explain what was meant by the unable to parse someone.no-ip.net indication because evidently I did not understand the meaning of the not being able to parse.
That specific report is from the internal diagnostics, and it shows for 'test outbound port'

It shows that a SMTP relayer is used.
I would guess that the OP changed the 'Outbound port 25 test hostname in the internal diagnostics window to something that could not be parsed. We can't see what that was as it has been redacted. It could also have been an error in the SMTP Relayer field. I suspect that it was an non-valid character.

The 'Test outbound port' is often problematic, and doesn't work with ports other than 25, and to be honest I just simply ignored that part of the internal diagnostics because the OP later said , in response to
jimimaseye wrote:

hreich wrote:
Yes it returns external ip adress
Showing that there was no DNS issue

Instead I figured that the 'Test Outbound Port' wasn't functioning as expected.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-21 08:44

mattg wrote:

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2019-03-21 09:06

mattg,

Thanks for you explanation on the diagnostics report.

And I also now understand better your reference to the NAT Loopback Router functionality. Other than ISP Gateways (Modem/Router), my only routers have been ASUS, my first being I believe RT-N66 (my current router RT-AC5300). In all my experience with these Routers I have been able to access external Hostnames for example hMailServer computers in my Local Network from within my Local Network. I had been assuming the connection was being directed outside the Local Network to only come back to the WAN External Port. Meaning it was as I thought an actual External Access to my Local Network made from within my Local Network. This would among other purposes act as a way to test External Connections to my server on my Local Network and also be able to set up access on my Local computer's Outlook so the Outlook configuration would always be the same whether External or Local Access. Now I understand without the NAT Loopback functionality on a Router, you would just get a failure to connect.

Apparently I have not ever had a Router which did not have NAT Loopback functionality either.

So always constantly learning new things.

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-21 13:11

mattg wrote:
2019-03-21 08:44
mattg wrote:
I checked and its SPeedport W 724V which doesnt have loopback...

Virinum
New user
New user

Post by Virinum » 2019-03-21 14:14

Speedports have an internal list of "save" mailservers.
See this link for more information (german): https://www.schnied.net/2014/04/27/tele ... il-server/

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-21 16:39

Virinum wrote:
2019-03-21 14:14
Speedports have an internal list of "save" mailservers.
See this link for more information (german): https://www.schnied.net/2014/04/27/tele ... il-server/
Ok, that helped with setting mail client to use local server Ip - before i adedd it to white list, it always reported in thunderbird that password is not correct..

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-22 14:47

hreich wrote:
jimimaseye wrote:
hreich wrote:

You can either

Anybody can help me with this? If i add local IP address 192.168.1.80 to the local hosts file to point to somename.no-ip.net, then how would the same user be able to connect when on external network?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2019-03-22 15:19

You need to run an INTERNAL caching DNS Server and you need to add the no-ip domain to this DNS Server with the "myserver.no-ip.net" A-record pointing to your mailserver.

The ONLY problem I see with this is when you need to access the REAL no-ip domain, you need to point your client DNS settings to eg. 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS).

I use ChangeIP.com (one of many DDNS service providers) for my domain. It's a regular domain (like acme.inc) and I can use a DDNS updater for it. I now have fixed IP but that was not always the case.

I have a local caching DNS where I define my domain and PRIVATE hostnames ... AND ... I have a DNS with ChangeIP.com where I define my domain and PUBLIC hostnames.
That way I can have eg. hmailserver.acme.inc both internally AND externally pointing to the appropriate IP addresses.

Note: acme.inc is a made-up domain ;-)
SørenR.

The quantum rule of insecurity which states that the act of observing how vulnerable a host or service is changes the insecurity level of the service.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2019-03-22 20:38

Regarding DNS, check this Tutorial to Setup the Defakto DNS-Standard Software (BIND DNS-Server) for Windows with
hMailServer.
https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 21&t=33296

PS: You cannot setup DNS Ressource Reconts (RRs) required for example for the MX entry in your hosts file.
For something like this, a real DNS-Server is mandatory.

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-03-26 11:58

Can i use DNS Server -- Technitium for this purpose? And is there any guide how to setup it so i can access Hmail server from inside and from outside local network?

I can acces med-comfort.no-ip.net from my home netwrok with my home pc(which is external network) , and i can access my hmail server from laptop which is on same network 192.168.1.8 and server is on 192.168.1.80 (but for this laptop mail client has to have local ip as incoming/outgoing server)..
How to enable laptop to connect to hmail server in both cases?

ryanjenson90
New user
New user

Post by ryanjenson90 » 2019-03-26 19:58

hreich wrote:

same issue
even i can not connect.
i can't even connect to the server!!

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-26 23:19

ryanjenson90 wrote:
2019-03-26 19:58
same issue
Please start a new thread as per forum rules

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-03-26 23:29

hreich wrote:
2019-03-26 11:58
Can i use DNS Server -- Technitium for this purpose? And is there any guide how to setup it
You should ask the suppliers of that product for guides on how to use it

hreich wrote:
2019-03-26 11:58
How to enable laptop to connect to hmail server in both cases?
Already told you that this is because your router doesn't do loopback

That would be where your router sends requests out to the internet, and connections for your own public IP address are then looped back to you.

You can work around this by using a DNS server on your LAN that has a zone established for your domain and redirects requests intended for your no-IP address instead to a local machine (the one with hMailserver).

On a single machine the hosts file would do that, but the entry would need to be changed/removed when you leave the LAN

Across a LAN, using a DNS for the LAN is probably next best option (to using a router with loopback), then when you are connected to the LAN the LAN DNS will be used, and when elsewhere other DNS will be used.

All a DNS does is act as the 'phonebook'. It doesn't actually connect you, it just tells you where to go.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2019-03-27 01:33

mattg wrote:
2019-03-26 23:19
ryanjenson90 wrote:
2019-03-26 19:58
same issue
Please start a new thread as per forum rules
Don't worry matt, our friend Ryan Jenson from INDIA (very Indian name) will no doubt be banned on his next post. My forum spam sniffer is twitching and the ban hammer hanging on a very loose and unstable nail.

Virinum
New user
New user

Post by Virinum » 2019-03-27 10:00

Maybe an update could help. According to https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Gera ... -p/1045322 (German) an update helped to get NAT Loopback.

Or just get a better router. E.g. Fritzbox. According to my experience speedports only cause problems.

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-04-02 08:37

Thanks to all for suggestions..I just managed to fix the problem.. I added mx record on our no-ip.net for that hostname, and after that i could connect locally/ and externally using same mail client setting for incoming/outgouing mail server.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2019-04-02 11:27

Just wondering how then your laptop worked from outside the network...

hreich
New user
New user

Post by hreich » 2019-04-09 09:10

Ok..last gathered info about our problem..
After adding mx record on our no-ip host domain, things didn't fix..
Only way i manged to get it working was to make two bat files that modify hosts file:

First bat file would add entry into hosts file (in system32\drivers\etc folder) - entry like this --> 192.168.1.80 xyz.no-ip.net. That bat would be used when user is in local network, sothat mail client is pointing to local ip adress where hmail server is installed.

Second bat would remove that entry - and thats used when user laptop is on external network.