IMAP: compatibility with Exchange?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
manfred
New user
New user

IMAP: compatibility with Exchange?

Post by manfred » 2018-12-19 01:21

Hello all,

sounds like a strange headline. I need to explain.

Next year we will get new ERP system same which contains a slim CRM also, with 'Outlook integration'.
this ERP gets hold of the emails of the workstation simply by an IMAP client which connects to an Exchange Server. Thus, you can see all your own mails within the ERP, and those you like, you can copy into the CRM.
OK.
We do not have an exchange server, and in fact we don't need it. We have a local hmailserver since maybe four years on a w7 machine, and it works perfectly for us. Never any crash, never any update installed.
So I told the ERP guys: I do not want to do buy EXCHANGE+ a server hardware just for your CRM. IMAP is IMAP, it should work with every mail server??!!

They said: "no Sir.... we have the experience that IMAP can be really tricky, and there might be differences which might make the system not work without MS Exchange. So we decided, that we support Exchange only, because otherwise we would have to support hundreds of different emailserver softwares of all the customers....!"
OK... those guys are in the business since 30 years... They should know what they say.

I personally have no clue about IMAP details and if there are options. I checked the configuration pages of hmailserver and did not find a lot to configure (just the settings which are described in the documentation as well).

and here finally comes my strange question: Does hmailserver use 'exactly the same' IMAP protocol as Exchange (what ever that is), and if we don't know and want to try anyway, are there some hidden tweaks available if it fails?
THANKS!!

jimimaseye

Re: IMAP: compatibility with Exchange?

Post by jimimaseye » 2018-12-19 01:39

manfred wrote:
2018-12-19 01:21

and here finally comes my strange question: Does hmailserver use 'exactly the same' IMAP protocol as Exchange (what ever that is),
Simple answer: no. Exchange is not imap although initially it has similar features by the way it syncs inbound email from a server. It really depends on whether you need the specific differences that exchange offers. This may help: https://www.business.org/it/operating-s ... s-compare/

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mattg

Post by mattg » 2018-12-19 04:29

manfred wrote:
2018-12-19 01:21
They said: "no Sir.... we have the experience that IMAP can be really tricky, and there might be differences which might make the system not work without MS Exchange. So we decided, that we support Exchange only, because otherwise we would have to support hundreds of different emailserver softwares of all the customers....!"
OK... those guys are in the business since 30 years... They should know what they say.
That's funny

What Exchange doesn't do is meet the IMAP standards detailed in RFCs.
And what most other MTAs including hmailserver do is meet those RFCs

Can you even buy Exchange as a software anymore?
I though that MS were only selling their online exchange server, Office365

Once upon a time you buy SBS Server which included exchange, or exchange as software for a server platform...

What Exchange does is use Activesync more than it uses IMAP
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2018-12-19 04:50

Exchange does support IMAP but not verry well.
64-Bit builds of hMailserver

hMailServer-5.6.+ (HCD) https://github.com/hMailServer-ComDevs/hmailserver
hMailServer-5.6.+ (LTS) https://github.com/Dravion/hMailServer/releases

manfred
New user
New user

Post by manfred » 2018-12-20 13:59

Hello all,
thanks for comments!
OK, first I will ask the ERP guys if they stick to IMAP standard or if they use other Exchange-specifiy things too. If they maybe even don't know, it seems that nothing remains than try and error.
YES, Exchange Server is still available as a piece of software, V. 2019 coming soon.