Clean install, service running, no database?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
simonjshaw
New user
New user

Clean install, service running, no database?

Post by simonjshaw » 2018-07-01 11:55

I have installed Hmailserver 5.6.7 on Windows Server 2012 R2 std.
The installation went through smoothly - I selected the SQLCE database (although I understand MS does not support it.)
The service starts, but I cannot run the admin program and there is no database in the database folder.
The ini file shows:
[Directories]
ProgramFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer
DatabaseFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Database
DataFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Data
LogFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs
TempFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Temp
EventFolder=C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Events
[GUILanguages]
ValidLanguages=english,swedish
[Security]
AdministratorPassword=#blahblahhash#

The logs folder is empty.
I cannot see anything in the event logs referring to hmailserver.

Thinking it was a database issue, I removed it, removed program folder, rebooted and tried again selecting other database.
Same thing - no error message, service running, but no Admin program which exits as soon as started. No logs.

What might be going wrong?

jimimaseye

Re: Clean install, service running, no database?

Post by jimimaseye » 2018-07-01 21:46

The problem is probably this:
on Windows Server 2012 R2 std.
The installation went through smoothly - I selected the SQLCE database (although I understand MS does not support it.)
It doesn't work. Use and external database. (Do a complete uninstall before trying again)

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

simonjshaw
New user
New user

Post by simonjshaw » 2018-07-02 11:16

Thanks for that, jimimaseye, and I should really have mentioned that I had already considered that, so I tried the MySQL option, and the installer also exited - without setting up a database. Also tried it without AV, firewall etc. Always the same.
(Actually SQLCE works fine on 2012R2 (e.g. on another server I have) - it is just that MS doesn't _support_ it on that platform.)
So... there is something weird about this particular machine it would seem. Mystified!
Any debugging tricks within the installer to log at what point and why db setup fails?
I'd really like a second hmailserver installation to act as a failover.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2018-07-02 11:25

There shouldnt be any problem.

Try again:

Uninstall (using program uninstall)
Then ensure you manually delete the Hmailserver Program folder and all sub directories.

then retry a refresh install but dont choose internal (others have proven that it simpy doesnt work on Server 2012)
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829