SPAM Auto Reply

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
kdiamond
Normal user
Normal user

SPAM Auto Reply

Post by kdiamond » 2017-05-11 09:13

Hi.

I have Global Rule to Move all [SPAM] contained subjects to SPAM folder. It works for all accounts and domains using one single rule?

How would I auto reply to users that their email went to spam and the reasons for this?

Please note that Account Reply Rule still doesn't work for different outgoing IP addresses.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30773
https://github.com/hmailserver/hmailserver/issues/172

Thank you

Br,
Dali

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: SPAM Auto Reply

Post by SorenR » 2017-05-11 10:41

You don't ...

99.999% of all SPAM is unmonitored and if you respond, you contribute to the the general noise on the Internet.
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

kdiamond
Normal user
Normal user

Post by kdiamond » 2017-05-11 10:53

Yes, I know that.

I'm more concerned about other 1% of the clients that actually do end up in SPAM because of our strict rules. But I guess you are right. It's better to monitor SPAM folder for those.

Thank you

Br,
Dali

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2017-05-11 13:10

Its not worth trying to fight antispam systems and telling the user that their emails are ending up in spam folders. The reason is that its often not clear why their emails are in the spam box and even if it was its not necessarily possible to overcome/override it.

For example: Microsoft will put you in the spam box if you are a new domain or dont have a good enough 'reputation' of sending plenty of spam free emails (even though you may NEVER have sent a sing le one). And there is bugger all they can do about it.

Also, if it was possible to tell the sender that they have been put in spam and the reason for it, then the send MAY be able to tailor their emails to overcome this....and that includes the spammers who silently will be very glad you told them how to overcome your antispam filters.

The best way to handle this: Its your system - you look in your spam folders. (It's not the responsibility of the sender).

Lets get this world spam-free, people. :wink:
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2017-05-11 13:20

A proper trained system should produce very few FP's...

I had a look at my home system (5 users)

SPAM by SpamAssassin since May 2016: 4.108
SPAM by custom rules since May 2016: 78
SPAM by DNS Blacklists/SURBL (ONLY!) since May 2016: 130
False Positives since May 2016: 35 (some of them by bad rules unfortunately)

On my system SPAM is moved to users SPAM folder and also forwarded to a dedicated SPAM account.
I use Bayes with daily training so users can reclassify mail by moving it in or out of the SPAM folder within 3 days.

Roughly 25%-35% of all SPAM is received. Very high score SPAM and BOT generated SPAM/NOISE is rejected with code 554.

Most of my SPAM/NOISE fighting is done in EventHandlers.vbs :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.