Use intermediate email server between internet and hMailserver ?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Jey
New user
New user

Use intermediate email server between internet and hMailserver ?

Post by Jey » 2016-07-28 14:18

Hello,

I use hMailServer since 2004/2005 on private aDSL connexion with fixed IP.
I will move. In my next house I can't have fixed IP. IP change every 24 hours.

Sometimes, thos aDSL connection have problem durint few hours.

I want to know if I can use intermediate email server with "catch all" (to keep temporarily emails), until hMailServer is back to fetch all mails, and deliver in all valid alias (I have 1 accounter and ~200 alias).

How to?

Thanks a lot,
Jey

jimimaseye

Re: Use intermediate email server between internet and hMailserver ?

Post by jimimaseye » 2016-07-28 14:26

With a Dynamic (domestic) IP address you will have problems getting your mail delivered directly anyway. In this case you will need to use you ISP's (or mail host) smtp relay for sending emails out.

Best option: hire an email host to be the first MX for your mail and then you can 'collect' the email via External Downloads. (google 'email host' for providers). viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29032

What is the domain you are operating - is it a personal/private domain? If so, you should therefore have access to maintain the MX DNS records for your domain to point to what email host you choose.

(If your domain is a public email service such as Yahoo or gmail then your options are a lot easier)

Other options: Some would suggest you can hire a Virtual Server service (from Amazon, for example) and then host your own server with Hmailserver on it.
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-28 14:44

Best solution is to get a static IP if you possibly can so you don't need a third party solution.

dynamic IP numbers are a pain. You will need to use a third party provider who can handle them. A couple of inexpensive ones are:

http://www.noip.com/managed-mail#self-hosted

OR

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/mai ... orwarding/
http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/services/mailservices/

you will need the smtp service as well becasue with dynamic IP you can't have an RDNS PTR record which points to a dynamic IP and if you don't an RDNS PTR record a lot mailservers will treat your outgoing mail as spam. So you need to use both their incoming and outgoing services.

read the pages carefully to understand exactly what you need for dynamic IP and if/how they handle aliases.

Jey
New user
New user

Post by Jey » 2016-07-28 15:13

Thanks percepts, but I don't need information for dynamyc hostname.
I just want to use a dedicated mail server (I already have in my webhosting) to receive all email for a specific domain, before my hMailServer (don't used for send email) retrieve emails from the temporary server.
I wan't to know if hMailServer can retrieve email from a intermediate server.

jimimaseye, I don't use hMailServer to send email, I always use my provider's SMTP.
I just want receive emails.

Yes, my domain is personnal (mydomain.com).

Ok, so I need to use "external downloads" in hMailServer to fetch all emails temporarely stored in my intermediate mail server?

Thanks.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-28 15:29

yes you can.

in your hmail email account settings you have a tab for "external accounts". That allows you to download from your external smtp host to your local hmailserver account.

Jey
New user
New user

Post by Jey » 2016-07-28 18:50

Mmmm...

I can't configure a external account for a LOCAL account.

Because, like I excplained in the first post, I use ~200 alias for one account.
emails are never sended to the main account, just to the alias.

It's possible to use a "external account" for a domain, to distribute emails to each ALIAS, and reject email if alias doesn't exist.

Please, excuse my english...
thanks.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2016-07-28 18:54

It works like this (and I assume you are aware of this): your inbound emails (all addressed to your 200 aliases) will be received and held by an external email host.

You then set ONE account on your HMS to collect all emails (using the External Downloads) and ensure you tick 'Deliver To Recipients in Mime Headers' on the external download settings.

This one collection will then collect all emails and distribute them out accordingly.

Who/what external email host are you going to use for the initial email server (receiving your mail)?
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

Jey
New user
New user

Post by Jey » 2016-07-28 18:56

Ah!
thanks a lot, I will test :)