Out Of Office

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
BIGPROFITT
New user
New user

Out Of Office

Post by BIGPROFITT » 2016-07-21 01:53

I need to know if there is an easy way to allow users to create and manage their own Out Of Office messages.

If not, how does someone submit a request for such a new feature?

Thank you

Russell

mattg

Re: Out Of Office

Post by mattg » 2016-07-21 03:22

This script >> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28942

or the PHPwebadmin
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

BIGPROFITT
New user
New user

Post by BIGPROFITT » 2016-07-21 03:54

Surely the guys behind this program could incorporate this functionality into the program itself.

The old program I used had this built in and that was built almost 20 years ago.

How does someone submit a feature request?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-07-21 11:17

viewforum.php?f=2

The intention of the Administration GUI is that ONLY administrators need it.
The supplied PHPWebAdmin does what you need and more (if you have a web site hosting PHP on the same server that hMailserver is installed)

Roundcube webmail have an extension that allows you to set 'vacation messages'

and Jim's script does it all from email being sent to the server.
You have options.

I'm unsure how anyone could 'incorporate this functionality into the program itself' without changing the concept that only administrators should log into the admin console.
I'm also not sure that I would want that functionality built into the program to slow me and others who won't use the functionality down.

Yes Exchange does this - but only when Outlook is used as the mail client, and really that is outlook doing this, but only when the server is an Exchange server.

hMailserver is NOT Exchange, and is not intended to be a replacement for Exchange. Exchange is non-standards compliant Groupware. hMailserver is an excellent Mail transfer Agent, and is extremely scalable from a single domain with a few accounts, to tens of thousands of domains, hundreds of thousands of accounts and a throughput of millions of messages per day (on purpose built hardware)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2016-07-21 15:11

BIGPROFITT wrote:Surely the guys behind this program could incorporate this functionality into the program itself.
The 'program' you refer to is an administration program and primarily is needed on the server only (or a machine used by the *administrator* of the server if remote connection is required). The USER doesnt need any software at all provided by hMailserver and uses their own choice of mail software. What you are suggesting is that to be able to to do their own Out Of Office messages through "hMailserver functionality in the program" itself would suggest they then need to install a program on to their own devices in addition to their own mail client. HMailserver is a SERVER service and not a client-side program.

As Matt says, Outlook Clients (provided for Exchange servers) provides the function only with Exchange Servers (other clients cannot set the message with Exchange, and other MTAs cant set it it with Outlook Clients). Its true you didnt mention exactly what software you were using for 20 years that "had this built in" but for sure it would also require an extra client-side install of software. Obviously, many clients already have the feature/ability to do send auto-reply messages at client side independent of the server but that requires the client machine to be turned on and connected. (Maybe this is what you were doing)? HMS provides PHPWebAdmin for use in the the users choice of browser if you implement it (along with the script I provided).

Im with Matt and dont understand what you expect to see beyond that that has already been provided. How do you expect *it* to look/appear/function?
HMS 5.6.6 B2383 on Win Server 2008 R2 Foundation, + 5.6.7-B2415 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

MrGadget
Normal user
Normal user

Post by MrGadget » 2016-07-26 15:31

It sounds like the larger request would be for a web UI that users could log into from anywhere (or at least from the LAN) to manage their own accounts to a limited degree:
  • Change password
  • Set vacation on/off
  • Manage account level rules
  • See messages held in a SPAM folder

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-07-26 15:36

mattg wrote:The supplied PHPWebAdmin does what you need and more
Not the spam folder, but then there is no such thing unless you create it

MrGadget
Normal user
Normal user

Post by MrGadget » 2016-07-27 01:22

mattg wrote:The supplied PHPWebAdmin does what you need and more
No PHP here so I've never used it. I didn't know it was usable by regular account people...thought it was for the mail server admin only.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-07-27 01:28

There are a few people who have posted a ASP equivalent over the years, unsure how well they copy what the PHPWebAdmin does...

PHPWebAdmin can be accessed by any email address and password, and the level of user detailed in the admin GUI will dictate what level of access each user has. Roundcube have developed some add-ins if you use that webmail that replicate much of this stuff, although without PHP you won't have RoundCube either.

PHPWebAdmin gets updated with each hMailserver release.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-07-27 01:34

MrGadget wrote:It sounds like the larger request would be for a web UI ...
Without PHP, how do you envisage this working?

What if the server doesn't have a web server installed, should this be an Apache Tomcat like instance perhaps? That would seem a waste of resources for those of us that already run a web server?
Are there many webservers that don't run PHP?
ASP only works in IIS, so again that is limiting, as not all users will want IIS (many prefer Apache even on Windows)

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2016-07-27 02:21

I think ASP will run on Windows Apache but I could be wrong. After all, all these web scripting languages are just callable from the webserver, process the html file with its embedded asp or php or whatever scripting language and pass the output back to the webserver to serve up with http.

There is very little if any reason for a webserver not to be able to call any external language. The server just passes the html file to the scripting engine and receieves the output back after the scripting language has done its stuff.

a couple of the the ASP Webadmin scripts are as follows but they may or may not work since I don't think they have been updated.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21125&p=151116&hil ... in#p151116

and

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20186&p=150485&hil ... in#p150485

the second one is probably all you need for user only access. For administrator access the first one but that is less likely to work as it is more likely to have been affected hmailserver updates.

You would need to test them thoroughly if you can't implement PHP.

You may be able to run both PHP and ASP on same webserver. You would just need to configure webserver to use the right scripting engine based on the html file extension (ASP or PHP or other). For those that don't know, as far as apache is concerned, an html file can have any file extension you like but by convention it has the file extension of the scripting language it has embedded in it and you just tell apache which extension uses which scripting engine(if any). File extension htm or html is usually reserved for plain html but you can put php in a .htm file and tell apache to send all .htm files to the PHP scripting engine. It ain't rocket science as they say.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-07-27 03:48

percepts wrote:You may be able to run both PHP and ASP on same webserver.
yes you can, I do
(and .pl = perl type web pages)

MrGadget
Normal user
Normal user

Post by MrGadget » 2016-07-27 04:38

PHPWebAdmin is a bit easier in IIS 8.5 Win Server 2012 R2

PHP 7.0.7 x64 (Installed via Web Platform Installer)
C:\Program Files\PHP\v7.0\php.ini
Near the end add this under [ExtensionList]:
extension=php_com_dotnet.dll
Don't bother looking for register_globals - it was deprecated and is gone now.

IIS 8.5
Create a new website the normal way, pointing to the PHPWebAdmin folder...give Network Service full rights to that folder.
No need to mess with DCOM config...Network Service is already wired up and IUSER isn't applicable.

PHPWebAdmin
In the PHPWebAdmin folder:
  • Change the version number in line 6 from "5" to "7" in \include\initialization_test.php if you have PHP 7.x installed.
    • if ((int) $version[0] != 7)
  • Copy config-dist.php to config.php and change the URL in line 24 as appropriate...include the trailing slash.
Restart IIS and open the website in a browser. As @mattg said, email address and password gets you in. Administrator and the admin pass gets full control. For others, Administration Level setting determines what they can see / modify.

BIGPROFITT
New user
New user

Post by BIGPROFITT » 2016-08-16 14:53

There would no "client side" software necessary.
That is an assumption.

The way it would work it...

The person would send a message to outofoffice@domain.com to initiate the request.
The mail server would send a message to the user with the information set and a message to reply to that message to turn on out of office.
The user would simply reply to this message.
The user would then get a message from the mail server stating the out of office message had been turned on.

To turn off the out of office message the user would send a message to outofoffice@domain.com.
The user would receive a message stating the out of office message was turned off.

Pretty simple honestly.

It would also allow the user to turn the out of office message off when they want and not have to necessarily schedule things.

Thoughts?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2016-08-16 14:58

Isn't that what jimimaseye's script does >> viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28942 ??

What have I missed?