Missing emails - Outlook on laptop & Apple Mail on mobile

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
bcpaul
Normal user
Normal user

Missing emails - Outlook on laptop & Apple Mail on mobile

Post by bcpaul » 2015-09-25 23:09

Been having this issue with a couple of users lately. Been fine before about 3 weeks ago.
NOTE: Hmailserver 5.6-B2145 on Windows 2012 Server w/mysql

Similarities:
  • user has Outlook on their laptop (one w/Win7 Outlook 2010, other with Macbook w/Outlook 2016)
    user has Apple mail on their iphone or ipad.
    user has same email account synced to both laptop and apple mail mobile device
    Both accounts are IMAP
If the user has their laptop OFF (or closed) and they check email with their mobile device, the email comes through to the mobile device. If they then open their laptop (outlook), these new emails DO NOT appear in their laptop. These missing emails are viewable if they login to their webmail (Roundcube), but they will never download/sync to their laptop.

If I do this vice-versa (iphone off, laptop on) and send an email to the laptop, then turn on the iphone then both devices have the email.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am not overly familiar with Apple products as I use android devices.

Thanks

mattg

Re: Missing emails - Outlook on laptop & Apple Mail on mobile

Post by mattg » 2015-09-27 10:57

I'd re-check the phone settings
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2015-09-27 11:29

Hi Paul
bcpaul wrote: If the user has their laptop OFF (or closed) and they check email with their mobile device, the email comes through to the mobile device. If they then open their laptop (outlook), these new emails DO NOT appear in their laptop. These missing emails are viewable if they login to their webmail (Roundcube), but they will never download/sync to their laptop.
Do you use POP3 for E-Mail Access?
POP3-Servers allways download the message on first contact and marks it as read.
If you have allready received the EMail with an EMail-Programm (like Outlook 2016) you cannot receive it anymore with some other EMail-Programm via POP3 (regardles if this is on Mac/Windows/Cellphone/Tablet/ect) This is not a bug, this is how POP3 works generally and will be the same Problem on every other EMail-Server-Software.

If you want shared access to your EMail-Accounts, just configure all your E-Mail Programs on (regardles if this is on
Windows, Mac, Phone, Apps, Webmail, MS-Outlook or what ever you use) with IMAP.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2015-09-27 13:29

Dravion wrote:If you want shared access to your EMail-Accounts, just configure all your E-Mail Programs on (regardles if this is on
Windows, Mac, Phone, Apps, Webmail, MS-Outlook or what ever you use) with IMAP.
I could be wrong but I recall OP stating both devices use IMAP...
bcpaul wrote:Similarities:
  • user has Outlook on their laptop (one w/Win7 Outlook 2010, other with Macbook w/Outlook 2016)
    user has Apple mail on their iphone or ipad.
    user has same email account synced to both laptop and apple mail mobile device
    Both accounts are IMAP
We really appreciate users helping other users, but as a minimum read (and understand) the question before offering advice or begin further diagnostics. It's difficult enough to debug problems 10.000 miles away across language barriers :wink:
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke