hMailServer, no-ip.com, MXGuardDog from localhost with 3 top level domains

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
mainetenants
New user
New user

hMailServer, no-ip.com, MXGuardDog from localhost with 3 top level domains

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-13 23:24

I am setting up a home-based public web and private mail server for 3 top level domains:

mainetenants.org
mainejustice.org
peacivist.org

They are currently hosted by LunarPages but I am in the process of closing my hosting account once I get my localhost properly configured.

I am setting up public web and private mail servers on my localhost to handle mail for all mentioned domains for both incoming and outgoing SMTP, POP3 and/or IMAP from external and internal addresses.

My internet service is hosted by Time Warner with a dynamic IP address and "extreme" speeds (5Mb up, 20Mb down).

My ports 80, 443 and 25 are open for both incoming and outgoing connections.

I have purchased my own DOCSIS cable modem and router from Netgear. The Netgear router has a built-in "Use DynDNS Service" which is successfully directed to my No-IP.com account.

My current NS records point to LunarPages servers at: ns1.lunariffic.com and ns2.lunariffic.com.

I want to use MXGuarddog spam filter services with my localhost (127.0.0.1) mail server and no-ip.com dyndns servers.

I am using hMailServer for my local mail server on an Ampps stack of apache, mysql, and php on a Windows7 x64 Ultimate dual processor machine with 1.5Tb storage on SCSI devices.

I have installed hMailServer properly, and followed a great tutorial to configure the necessary settings posted by Tal which can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=17636

I ran my diagnostics which came back with all green lights and no errors for my mainejustice.org server.

I added my other domains and accounts but am confused about where to identify the "mail.domain.org" name for each domain, mail server and database.

Ultimately, I want to run "mail.mainejustice.org", "mail.mainetenants.org" and "mail.peacivist.org" servers simultaneously using hMailServer.

I named the mysql db as "mail_mainejustice_org" which hMailServer is using and connected to under the "Status"/"Server" information... the server address is "localhost".

My primary concern is how to use MXGuardDog spam filter services with my dyndns and localhost setup with hMailServer, if that's even possible.

If that's not possible, i will simply delete the MXGuardDog account and configure tighter spam filters on my localhost servers.

So, my primary question is:

Which service should handle my MX records? No-IP.com or MXGuardDog?

I will have follow up questions once I get this primary question answered.

Thank you for your help.

jimimaseye

Re: hMailServer, no-ip.com, MXGuardDog from localhost with 3 top level domains

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-14 00:33

Mxguarddog. If in doubt contact their support for details and instructions.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-06-14 02:49

mainetenants wrote:I added my other domains and accounts but am confused about where to identify the "mail.domain.org" name for each domain, mail server and database.
You just need to point the mx records for each to your hMailserver IP address.

You should have one (any one) as the local host name in SMTP settings
mainetenants wrote:Ultimately, I want to run "mail.mainejustice.org", "mail.mainetenants.org" and "mail.peacivist.org" servers simultaneously using hMailServer.
Yes most of us have multiple domains on our hmailserver.
mainetenants wrote:I named the mysql db as "mail_mainejustice_org" ...
WHY??
Not that it matters.

My database is called 'hmailserver'
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-14 03:14

thank you mattg for your response.

I'm trying not to get confused with this project but I am new to hosting my own mail server on localhost and will need a little bit of hand-holding and detailed explanations although I am very technically savvy generally.

In my hMailServer Administrator, Settings, Protocols, SMTP, Delivery of e-mail is showing "mail.mainejustice.org" as the local host name. (SMTP Relayer is not configured.)

Why did I name mysql db as "mail_mainejustice_org"?

Because i thought i needed to store each domain's settings/data in a separate mysql db instead of a catchall db like "hmailserver" ...

Is there a preferred naming method to setup the mysql db for hMailServer ?

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-06-14 03:29

mainetenants wrote:In my hMailServer Administrator, Settings, Protocols, SMTP, Delivery of e-mail is showing "mail.mainejustice.org" as the local host name. (SMTP Relayer is not configured.)
correct
mainetenants wrote:Is there a preferred naming method to setup the mysql db for hMailServer ?
No
there is only ONE database per hMailserver instance, and only one hMailserver instance per machine able to be created.

It matters little, leave it as is if you like, but 'hMailserver' works equally fine.

The idea is that if you have a website that uses a MySQL database, like say a WordPress site, then you can have MySQL Databases like 'hMailserver', 'WP_domian1', 'WP_domain2' etc
My MySql instance has about 12 to 15 databases, of which one is my hMailserver database. It is by far the largest of my MySQL database.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-14 21:26

ok. thank you for the quick responses.

I will be running 3 Joomla top level sites (plus subdomains) each utilizing the hMailServer db from localhost.

I ran diagnostics on my hMailServer again and got errors for "Test MX records" and "Test local connect", both giving the error "MX records for [local] domain mainejustice.org could not be resolved."

I also did an mx record search with mxtoolbox.com and got a bunch of errors :(

If someone can walk me through my various system settings and my various external services I would be willing to start a teamviewer session or share my screen on skype to get these errors resolved.

I really messed up my settings and don't know how to fix them ... :(

I've attached a full page screenshot from the mxtoolbox test...
screen-capture - mainejustice.org Domain _ - https_mxtoolbox.com - 14 - 06 - 2015 - 18 - 04 - 13.png

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-14 22:06

when i do a search on my other 2 domains (mainetenants.org & peacivist.org) on mxtoolbox.com I get these errors:

Unable to resolve "mainetenants.org" to an IP address.

Unable to resolve "peacivist.org" to an IP address.

I know the resolution will involve checking several different sources of information, such as my router and ISP, my webhost LunarPages, my local host file, my php.ini and my.ini settings, MXGuardDog settings, No-IP.com settings, and hMailServer settings ...

for this reason I am very willing to have a live chat and screen sharing session with someone who can help me navigate these various services and resources and help me understand what I'm doing and what I need to do to fix the errors ...

i never realized setting up an email server is so complicated ... :shock:

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 01:17

I just performed a tracert on my 3 domains to see where they are resolving to, if at all ... this is what I got for results ...

C:\Users\MAINEJUSTICE>tracert www.mainetenants.org
Unable to resolve target system name www.mainetenants.org.

C:\Users\MAINEJUSTICE>tracert www.mainejustice.org

Tracing route to www.mainejustice.org [198.105.254.228]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 114 ms 85 ms 102 ms cpe-76-179-240-1.maine.res.rr.com [76.179.240.1]
3 43 ms 30 ms 32 ms tge0-0-1.hlwlme0801h.northeast.rr.com [24.31.156.77]
4 35 ms 87 ms 107 ms agg22.ptldmehx02r.northeast.rr.com [24.58.40.26]
5 36 ms 28 ms 51 ms be25.albynyyf01r.northeast.rr.com [24.58.32.64]
6 46 ms 95 ms 135 ms bu-ether16.nycmny837aw-bcr00.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.74]
7 162 ms 78 ms 54 ms 0.ae1.pr1.nyc20.tbone.rr.com [107.14.17.218]
8 141 ms 147 ms 166 ms v702.core1.nyc4.he.net [209.51.175.37]
9 71 ms 54 ms 168 ms 100ge11-1.core1.ash1.he.net [184.105.223.165]
10 165 ms 130 ms 145 ms 100ge11-1.core1.lax1.he.net [184.105.80.202]
11 144 ms 172 ms 100 ms 100ge11-1.core1.lax2.he.net [72.52.92.122]
12 122 ms 126 ms 150 ms 64.62.133.170
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * ^C
C:\Users\MAINEJUSTICE>tracert www.peacivist.org
Unable to resolve target system name www.peacivist.org.

###

It appears the trace times out on its way to my LunarPages server in California ... 64.62.133.179 belongs to Hurricane Electric Internet in California so I believe I may have broken my settings on my LP account while I was messing with MX and DNS records ...

I will be forever grateful to anyone who can help solve this riddle with/for me ... :wink:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-06-15 01:36

mainetenants wrote:I've attached a full page screenshot from the mxtoolbox test... [/attachment]
Doesn't look like you have ANY Mx records for this domain

helping with this stuff is normally beyond the level of help offered here.
You should contact someone local to you with the required technical knowledge level >> bottom of this page https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... quirements
AND PAY THEM to assist you.

If you want to have go at this yourself, that's fine, but you will need to research what MX records are and what they do. Based on the last couple of posts I'm not sure that you currently have the required knowledge to run a mail server.

tracert normally don't try to find mx records unless you specify the mail sub-domain

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 01:57

i know i really messed things up but I am aware of what MX records are and what they do ... i just had too many external services involved which complicated matters ...

I just deleted all accounts at MXGuardDog and reset my MX records on my LP DNS Manager, as shown in the screenshots below:
screen-capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___traian.lunari - 14 - 06 - 2015 - 11 - 23 - 19.png
screen-capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___traian.lunari - 14 - 06 - 2015 - 16 - 49 - 19.png
screen-capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___traian.lunari - 14 - 06 - 2015 - 07 - 53 - 19.png

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 02:20

i also turned off the DynDNS service on my router and set the DNS servers to be set automatically by my ISP...

I know my MX records are correct at my webhost (LunarPages) but I wonder if it takes time to propagate those changes through the networks involved ...

Essentially, I have reset all my settings eliminating MXGuardDog and No-IP.com redirects.

I will wait to see if those changes propagate correctly and if not I will call LP tomorrow to see what I did wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions for me in the meantime I would be willing to try anything at this point ... I will post updates as I get more info

Thank you.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 02:27

no, i'm not going to pay someone to assist me when there is a world of knowledgeable people who would be more than happy to help for free just for the challenge of it... and i thought perhaps someone in this forum would like to take on that challenge with me ...

I may not know as much as you do, mattg, but I just started this adventure into hosting my own mail server 1 month ago so i would appreciate your patience and understanding ... i'm sure you didnt know what you were doing when you first started either and needed people to be patient with you... but I do have 30 years experience with computers, hardware, software, technical troubleshooting and network administration so please don't presume too much about my lack of email server knowledge ... it is certainly something i am learning, hopefully with the patient help of this forum and its users and moderators

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-06-15 04:44

mainetenants wrote:no, i'm not going to pay someone to assist me when there is a world of knowledgeable people who would be more than happy to help for free just for the challenge of it... and i thought perhaps someone in this forum would like to take on that challenge with me ...

I may not know as much as you do, mattg, but I just started this adventure into hosting my own mail server 1 month ago so i would appreciate your patience and understanding ... i'm sure you didnt know what you were doing when you first started either and needed people to be patient with you... but I do have 30 years experience with computers, hardware, software, technical troubleshooting and network administration so please don't presume too much about my lack of email server knowledge ... it is certainly something i am learning, hopefully with the patient help of this forum and its users and moderators
Yes, we all start somewhere.
I think I have been pretty patient with you to date.

Lets see what tomorrow brings after you reset your mx addresses and remove dyndns from the loop.
(One of the things that your image above shows is TTL time is outside of bounds - you should look at that too. The three new screen shots look OK to me, but I can't get this info from my ISP's DNS server)

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-15 10:22

ROUTER ---> update no-ip.com with your host "maine.no-ip.com" (or whatever your no-ip account host name is) automatically whenever the ip changes. If you are not on a STATIC address then you WILL need this.

Are you on a static IP address?
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 17:23

jimimaseye ~ no, i have a dynamic IP address with Time Warner. I do have a dynamic update client (DUC) from No-IP.com on my computers and will reincorporate them into my system design once LP and i figure out how I broke my MX records and lost access to my domains ...

I sent LP a support ticket this morning, about an hour ago, and will await their response before I do anything else with my domains and mail server...

I have essentially removed all 3rd party services, # my hosts file entries, set my DNS to be assigned automatically by my ISP, and reset my NS/MX/A/CNAME records to point to LP until i get access again ...

what a mess i made :D

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-15 17:40

Save yourself some time. You NEED (without question) the dyndns setup.

Now, I can tell you that the builtin Netgear dynamic dns update function works very well (thereby removing the need for a windows update client).

Do this now (even though you ar waiting from LP):

In your router set the DDNS to update whatever your dynamic dns account is (didnt you say the netgear has NO-IP included? I know that 'dyndns.com (or Dyn.com as it is now), which is what the netgears used to incorporate no longer offer free accounts). Anyway, assuming this, setup a NO-IP.COM account and enter the update details in the router.

Now, change the MX records in the DNS setup pages for LP (as you showed earlier) to point to this no-ip host.

eg (assume your host is "yourhost.no-ip.com")

You can simply modify your mail.xxxx.org entries that you currently have and enter 'yourhost.no-ip.com' as the *content* instead of the hardcoded ip address you currently have showing.

ALTERNATIVELY, of course, change the MX records as follows:

Code: Select all

MX    PEACIVIST.ORG             to    yourhost.no-ip.com
MX    MAINETENANTS.ORG          to    yourhost.no-ip.com
MX    RENTALS.MAINTENANTS.ORG   to    yourhost.no-ip.com
etc

and then delete all the mail.xxxx.org entries (as they are no longer being referred to).

My recommendation is to do this NOW. Because you WILL need the dyndns setup because your ip address will change at anytime and if yo have to wait 24 hours or more every time you update your records in the LP dns management then you will be working on this for days! However, as you are still waiting, you might as well get that bit done now so you will never have to wait again. (Plus, having a dynamic dns 'hostname' to refer to is extremely handy for giving you remote access to your systems from anywhere you want. Its a must!) :wink:
5.7 on test.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 18:01

thank you jimimaseye! i will do that while i wait ...

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 18:09

once I got my system up and running with my localhost i was planning to transfer all of my domains to No-IP.com for them to manage my DNS...

perhaps I should do this immediately to regain access (and reset the IP addresses) to my domains ??

if i'm waiting for LP to figure out how i broke my domains would it be easier and faster to just go ahead and purchase my managed DNS account with No-IP.com and have my domains transferred to their servers now ?

Your feedback is appreciated!

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-15 18:55

*I* dont know who or what is handling you DNS account. Clearly you have purchased some domain names and I would have thought that whoever you have purchsed them from would also offer DNS management. Personally I would go with them to start with (but I cant say anymore because I dont know your situation). The LP setup looks right. (Do no-ip allow you to manage non-'no-ip' domains?)

You dont need anything fancy: just a domain name and a way to set DNS address against the domain hostnames required.

Anywat, if you have money, willing to pay, and thinnk no-ip do a better job then go for it. Or maybe for the sake of a phone call to LP they may also solve the DNS proliferation issue (something you have overlooked. Naybe you have to click a 'submit' or 'upload' button or something tha you didnt spot).

Whilst Im at it, I have to ask... are you sure that your ADSL line has port 25 open?? (It is a high chance that it isnt if yo have dynamic ip). And without port 25 your mail setup is dead in the water without an external email host.
5.7 on test.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 19:32

I've been with LP since 2008 and relied on them to manage all my servers and services until I recently discovered their refusal to maintain current versions of critical software on their shared servers or providing an alternative path for up-to-date software which directly paralyzes my LP-hosted websites preventing my visitors and members from uploading and processing videos via ffmpeg through Joomla/JomSocial via cron jobs... and I don't have $149 per MONTH for their "enterprise" VPN server ... for this reason, and a bunch of other reasons, I started learning how to host my own websites and email server which has exposed me to information I never had to learn before because LP managed everything for me ...

LP's basic services cost me over $100 per year for basic tech support and webhosting no matter if i host my own servers or not so I decided to transfer my domains to no-ip at $25 per year for DynDNS service since I want to manage my own servers from home and prevent them from being controlled by people who only want my $$$$$ ...

i have reactivated my DynDNS service on my router and pointed it to mainetenants.ddns.net with the proper login info...

i reconfigured the dyndns accounts at No-IP for each domain and set the MX record for each account as mail.mainetenants.org.
FireShot Capture - No-IP Members Portal_ Managed DNS _ _ - https___www.noip.com_members_dns_host.php.png
yes, my port 25 is open and confirmed just now with a port check tool
screen-capture - Open Port Check To_ - http___www.portchecktool.com_ - 15 - 06 - 2015 - 38 - 31 - 13.png

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 19:43

by the way, my purchase of my domain in 2008 from LP was my first exposure to html or web design and I am completely self-taught in that area ... so for me to make it this far with no formal education is pretty cool ... if i can find written instructions, i can learn anything :) and with a little help from my forum friends :)

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 20:16

ok. so i've changed the MX records in LP DNS Manager as you suggested, jim ...

now i wait for propagation ... as patiently as possible :)
FireShot Capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___traian.lunariffic.com_20082_yiilpcp_index.php.png

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-15 21:05

Looks good. I take it your SMTP Welcome Message is "mail.mainejustice.org" ? And that your current IP address is [76.179.242.42]? So what/who is 216.97.233.46 (that you had previously set as you mail server)?

Cant see any reason why things shouldnt be working for you now (except for whatever delay those DNS changes take to propogate.). Personally I have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for DNS change propogation (despite *them* always warning it cold take 24 hours). Do you have your router set to use your ISP default DNS?
5.7 on test.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 21:43

the IP address 216.97.233.46 belongs to LP's servers in Anaheim CA.

I refreshed my ticket with LP telling them I made changes to my DNS settings and I'm waiting for them to propagate and for them to provide me with any diagnostic info they may have in the meantime ...

yes, i have set my router to accept the ISP default DNS
screen-capture - NETGEAR Router WNR1000v3_ - http___www.routerlogi - 15 - 06 - 2015 - 36 - 38 - 15.png

thank you for your continued input, jim ... i can feel success on the horizon :)

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 21:51

should i also change the A record for mail.maintenants.org to the IP address of mainetenants.ddns.net ? in the screenshot above it is still pointing to LP's mail server at 216.97.233.46 ... 216.97.233.44 is my LP shared web server ...

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-15 21:54

LP just responded to my ticket:
Hello.
Thank you for your replies.
Please note that the NS records for a domain and the nameservers used by a domain are not the same thing. The NS records point to the authoritative nameservers for a domain.
Please do not confuse the two.
Additionally, if you want to resolve just certain DNS records (such as the A records of your domains' respective mail. subdomains) dynamically then the best approach for you to do that would be to set up NS records for the following subdomains :
mail.mainejustice.org
mail.mainetenants.org
mail.peacivist.org
as follows :
mail.mainejustice.org. 86400 IN NS ns1.no-ip.com.
mail.mainejustice.org. 86400 IN NS ns2.no-ip.com.
mail.mainejustice.org. 86400 IN NS ns3.no-ip.com.
mail.mainejustice.org. 86400 IN NS ns4.no-ip.com.
mail.mainejustice.org. 86400 IN NS ns5.no-ip.com.
mail.mainetenants.org. 86400 IN NS ns1.no-ip.com.
mail.mainetenants.org. 86400 IN NS ns2.no-ip.com.
mail.mainetenants.org. 86400 IN NS ns3.no-ip.com.
mail.mainetenants.org. 86400 IN NS ns4.no-ip.com.
mail.mainetenants.org. 86400 IN NS ns5.no-ip.com.
mail.peacivist.org. 86400 IN NS ns1.no-ip.com.
mail.peacivist.org. 86400 IN NS ns2.no-ip.com.
mail.peacivist.org. 86400 IN NS ns3.no-ip.com.
mail.peacivist.org. 86400 IN NS ns4.no-ip.com.
mail.peacivist.org. 86400 IN NS ns5.no-ip.com.
This is called Nameserver delegation and is something you can do using the the DNS Manager from your control panel :
http://screencast.com/t/uQ8JQGcu
However, instead of doing this, you actually changed the nameservers (not the NS records) for all three of the following domains
mainejustice.org
mainetenants.org
peacivist.org
to
ns1.no-ip.com
and
ns2.no-ip.com
Consequently, these domains are not resolving at all.
Please change the nameservers for mainejustice.org, mainetenants.org and peacivist.org back to :
ns1.lunariffic.com
and
ns2.lunariffic.com
and set the NS records for their respective mail. subdomains as shown above.
As mentioned in previous replies, you can change the nameservers used by domains registered with Lunarpages from : http://manage.opensrs.net .
After logging in please go to:
https://manage.opensrs.net/index.cgi?ac ... ameservers
click 'Manage Name Servers' and set the nameservers advised (ns1.lunariffic.com and ns2.lunariffic.com).
Kindly allow 48 hours for the nameserver change to take effect and let us know if there is anything else we may look into or provide information regarding. We look forward to your reply and update.
Please note, however, that you'll have some setting up to do over at no-ip.com's end as well, which we can't help with.
I will try to implement these changes and will report back asap.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-15 23:49

I have to be honest I am now completely lost. Too much talk of LP or NO-IP or DDNS or DYNDNS and mail.mainetenents.ddns.net or mail.mainetenants.org etc.

My view

Router updates a dynamic account hostname eg "mail.mainetenents.ddns.net"
and
LP dns panel points MX record mainetenents.org to "mail.mainetenents.ddns.net"
LP points panel MX record PEACIVIST.ORG to "mail.mainetenents.ddns.net"
etc

Who/where is your Webserver hosted? Is it on the same server as your hmailserver?

If so then you need
LP dns panel points A record mainetenents.org to "mail.mainetenents.ddns.net"
LP points panel A record PEACIVIST.ORG to "mail.mainetenents.ddns.net"
etc

as well.

Anyway, hope it turns good after whatever changes you have to make from their reply. (I got lost reading it, to be honest).
5.7 on test.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-16 00:12

my websites are back up and online and email servers with LP are delivering my mail.

jim, I appreciate why you are lost ~ that's exactly how I felt when I first posted this thread ...

Ultimately, I want to remove LP from the entire equation and transfer my DNS management to No-IP while I host and serve my own websites/email on my home computer.

So when I'm done I will only deal with No-IP for my DNS and domain registrations and MXGuardDog for spam filter services for my localhost hMailServer application.

I just ran a diagnostics with hMailServer on all domains and came back with all GREEN lights on mainejustice and peacivist, but i'm still getting MX errors for mainetenants.

This is the current setup in LP's DNS manager for my domains...
FireShot Capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___traian.lunariffic.com_20082_yiilpcp_index.php.png
FireShot Capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___pcv.traian.lunariffic.com_20082_yiilpcp_index.php.png
FireShot Capture - Lunarpages Control Panel_ - https___mtjl.traian.lunariffic.com_20082_yiilpcp_index.php.png

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-06-16 08:47

mainetenants wrote:Ultimately, I want to remove LP from the entire equation and transfer my DNS management to No-IP while I host and serve my own websites/email on my home computer.
But you don't have a static IP address, and therefore not a business class internet connection?

Do you have good bandwidth?
How much would a static IP cost you?

Back to your issue...
Why all of the NS entries for mail.domain.com?

Look at this for a great example of what is needed >> http://www.intodns.com/hmailserver.com

1 by A record for www.domain.com
1 by MX record for mail.domain.com
3 NS servers as supplied by ISP / hoster

There may well be SPF and DKIM records which don't show in that tool, but that's about all

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-16 09:14

no i don't have a static IP address nor a "business class" internet connection and I don't have the $$ to buy either.

Time Warner is charging $23+ per month for a static IP address... and LP is charging $149 per MONTH for an "enterprise" VPN which allows me to install software and tweak my server, etc ... but I can do all that with dyndns and my own home server for almost free ...

Yes, i have excellent bandwidth and speeds (5Mb Up/30Mb Down) with my own DOCSIS cable modem and router ...

My system configuration is still being tweaked as I learn how to implement MXGuardDog with No-IP.com.

Regarding the NS entries, I simply followed LP's instructions for setting up my NS and MX records to get my sites back online.

I am still learning how to use hMailServer and will be tweaking the settings as I learn more ...

I am excited to report that my hMailServer diagnostics has returned all GREEN lights for all 3 of my domains and is showing 25 messages processed since coming back online! w00t w00t !

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-16 09:29

i ran a test at intoDNS and got the following report on mainejustice.org:
FireShot Capture - intoDNS_ mainejustice.org - check DNS _ - http___www.intodns.com_mainejustice.org.png
this is what i got for mainetenants.org:
FireShot Capture - intoDNS_ mainetenants.org - check DNS _ - http___www.intodns.com_mainetenants.org.png
and this is what i got for peacivist.org:
FireShot Capture - intoDNS_ peacivist.org - check DNS server_ - http___www.intodns.com_peacivist.org.png

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-06-16 09:56

mainetenants wrote:Yes, i have excellent bandwidth and speeds (5Mb Up/30Mb Down) with my own DOCSIS cable modem and router ...
Those DNS reports look pretty good, except that you are using LP's name servers

They may just allow you to continue to do that (because they sold you the domains initially), but if they don't set the the DNS records up on the no-ip NS
Otherwise looks pretty good.

(I'm not sure that 30/5 at best on cable is fast enough to be uploading / downloading video though, but I guess your web site users will let you know)

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-22 13:35

I made some major configuration changes since my last post.

I have removed No-IP and MXGuardDog and set up an account with Freedns.afraid.org and have successfully configured hmailserver for both internal and external messages.

Now that my mail server is running properly I will be contacting MXGuardDog for instructions to integrate their services on my localhost.

I will report back with their response.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me get this far on my own!

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-06-22 20:03

Thanks for the update. Out of interest, how do you update your dynamic dns with afraid.org? is it at router level or do you need to run a windows script?
5.7 on test.

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-06-23 04:12

Afraid.org provides a list of free open source update clients for various operating systems which were written specifically for freedns.afraid.org services. I am using FreeDnSUpdate.exe on my windows7x64 pc.

I disabled DynDnS on my router because it only allowed me to use No-IP, DynDNS or Netgear dyndns services.

I am totally impressed with the immediate propagation of my NS and MX records after making the change to freedns.afraid.org ... their system made all the proper record entries for me and gave me exact instructions to change my records on my registrar (LunarPages)... all of those changes were propagated immediately and work fantastic!

not to mention freedns.afraid.org is completely free with commercial upgrade options ... they blow No-IP out of the market for services and pricing!

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-07-07 05:45

Ok everyone! I have successfully configured hMailServer on localhost with dynamic DNS and MXGuardDog spam filter services.

As I said in my previous post, http://freedns.afraid.org offers free dynDNS services which I have established for all three of my domains.
screen-capture-freedns-afraid-org.png
I terminated all my hosting accounts with LunarPages and transferred all my domain registrations and name servers to http://www.arvixe.com for a much better yearly registration rate for each domain.

Since I am using Time Warner ISP services, I added their SMTP server as a relay server in hMailServer under hMailServer > Settings > Protocols > SMTP > Delivery of e-mail > SMTP Relayer > Remote host name/TCP/IP port and checking "server requires authentication" and entering my TW user name/password. No security is enabled for the SMTP Relayer.

via

mail.twc.com on port 587

AFTER you confirm your hMailServer is successfully receiving and sending mail, go to http://www.mxguarddog.com and create an individual account for EACH DOMAIN you want to use their spam filter services with. You should receive an email to verify your MXGuardDog services. Once you verify and log into each MXG account, add every email address you want filtered to your MXG account BEFORE you change your MX records with your dyndns provider.

Once your email addresses are established for EACH DOMAIN at MXG, go to your dyndns provider (freedns.afraid.org) to change and/or add your MX records according to the following addressing schema: [replace domain.com with your domain name] (the #'s 10, 20, 30 indicate priority for each server)

10:domain.com.c2.mx1.ik2.com
20:domain.com.c2.mx2.ik2.io
30:domain.com.c2.mx3.ik2.eu
Be sure to add

postmaster@domain.com
to your "Accounts" under each domain on hMailServer because MXG automatically creates a "postmaster" account for each domain registered.

If you have several domains that you are going to register with MXG, you need to create an individual MXG account for each domain and then log into the account you want to be your 'primary' account, and choose "Domain Management" on the left margin which will allow you to add your other domains with MXG into that primary account for simpler domain management. You will need to enter the password for the "postmaster" account to add each domain to the primary MXG account.

MXG spam filter services are "free" by virtue of their "token" payment system instead of 'cash' money. A token can be earned for each text link you post on your websites for MXG services. One token per email address is required to use MXG services after a 30 day free trial. If you want to 'purchase' their tokens instead of using weblinks, they have established a 'cash' cost of 25 cents ($0.25 USD) per token ... Pretty sweet deal for the services they provide!

That's it!

Send yourself a test message via hMailServer on your localhost to confirm MXG is filtering your messages which are sent through dyndns via Time Warner smtp relay server ... pretty cool !! 8)

To check MXG is working, I look at the full headers after I receive my test message by looking at "Properties" of the message in my Microsoft Outlook client ...

Return-Path: SRS0=Q3dy=HP=gmail.com=twisted.wisdum@ik2.com
Delivered-To: gina@mainejustice.org
Received: from s480f.ik2.com (s480f.ik2.com [64.38.239.86])
	by mail.mainetenants.org with ESMTP
	; Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:39:18 -0400
Received: from s480k.ik2.com ([192.168.48.81] helo=s480g.ik2.com)
	by s480f.ik2.com with esmtps (TLSv1:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:256)
	(envelope-from <twisted.wisdum@gmail.com>)
	id 1ZCImr-0007GH-B6
	for gina@mainejustice.org; Tue, 07 Jul 2015 02:39:09 +0000
Received: from 209.85.220.173 by s480g.ik2.com (IK2 SMTP Server); Tue, 7 Jul 2015 02:39:05 +0000
Received: by qkeo142 with SMTP id o142so131181521qke.1
        for <gina@mainejustice.org>; Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
        h=from:to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version:content-type
         :thread-index:content-language;
        bh=CY7Q6OEOlpZs6TpGD335xcxq8t9QAEmuWE9PnkfMuCE=;
        b=hOqVjhP1h0mdTnI+VuisVvov6Q/NxKIINBC+Fcl5Ey1LWNnM8fN58WG8xOTOqYpY6B
         jYjrpcM0nHpFNqf1GE/I3/HEMn+Di02frTlfAQt+SwkxD7IWEDBHlKNWCNmhk+R3aBDC
         lWtu4xzE76JGAGWNY7HZUna+NfAXrZ8zF0qpux6KOYKmbQHhRRYWm62A4o4ccmkpcvAf
         AShaV8MP/Y/fo8KpJpB29UwU0wCKkf0IEc3/2QxWNQ2rdWh4pQsh6LJZOUj/CUToUpn4
         3PFKJkmKBM6e3KcdRv+de8f/5jBD21MsZ0S0ZlLbrNua+gVYu0cpuJw5x8N95fz4YIBn
         8ZdA==
X-Received: by 10.140.82.180 with SMTP id h49mr3196310qgd.29.1436236747055;
        Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:39:07 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from JUSTICE (cpe-76-179-242-42.maine.res.rr.com. [76.179.242.42])
        by mx.google.com with ESMTPSA id 10sm10480588qgl.9.2015.07.06.19.39.04
        (version=TLSv1 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA bits=128/128);
        Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:39:06 -0700 (PDT)
To: <gina@mainejustice.org>,
	<gina@mainetenants.org>,
	"GinA" <peacivist@peacivist.org>
Subject: Testing MXGuardDog services
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:39:00 -0400
Message-ID: <01b501d0b85e$16a20d60$43e62820$@gmail.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01B6_01D0B83C.8F90E290"
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0
Thread-Index: AdC4Xgz9glAoMQYrR+OcXieZZU0XuQ==
Content-Language: en-us
X-SF-RX-Return-Path: <twisted.wisdum@gmail.com>
X-SF-HELO-Domain: mail-qk0-f173.google.com
X-SF-Originating-IP: 209.85.220.173
X-SF-SRS: Sender address rewritten from <twisted.wisdum@gmail.com> to <SRS0=Q3dy=HP=gmail.com=twisted.wisdum@ik2.com>

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-07-07 06:18

I just sent myself a message from one of my gmail accounts which was sent successfully to my hMailServer with my setup via MXGuardDog...

Return-Path: SRS0=8mqT=HP=gmail.com=mainejusticeleague@ik2.com
Delivered-To: gina@mainejustice.org
Received: from s480f.ik2.com (s480f.ik2.com [64.38.239.86])
	by mail.mainetenants.org with ESMTP
	; Tue, 7 Jul 2015 00:15:18 -0400
Received: from s480k.ik2.com ([192.168.48.81] helo=s480g.ik2.com)
	by s480f.ik2.com with esmtps (TLSv1:DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:256)
	(envelope-from <mainejusticeleague@gmail.com>)
	id 1ZCKHi-0001Xt-9g
	for gina@mainejustice.org; Tue, 07 Jul 2015 04:15:06 +0000
Received: from 209.85.214.175 by s480g.ik2.com (IK2 SMTP Server); Tue, 7 Jul 2015 04:15:02 +0000
Received: by obbgp5 with SMTP id gp5so8663289obb.0
        for <gina@mainejustice.org>; Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
        h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type;
        bh=ppdLGvuWdsuTHulxHt9MmCbtIC3kH0mtArgfmIEEvfs=;
        b=rsNy8zCTxZ0/vZQCVZBPci8j7krNL/JCLVz+uW6ds3OEZHQzBimOW4NGydiH1HYkjX
         znfPCKlfWlxGQ6hVJ3OOGSPmGCq1cBbAuktUneLUd/FDLt7b0/uYII89YGPJWasHApEi
         qBSsJpxWbrdEdNO4cJL3FG8gpqAMwaEPcl27PdrbSR2iSXfZ2V5cxtft3/3casqtw54g
         c8seJO3MITtmlaTZkgkgwU30hUu+ZKMDT9TphVii6peY4vTuI4nXSch+pm1bTq38QiWV
         r26Bws8a3iVbNDXA15YnA1MOm5SrLG5M6URi5BrwZinHKH0ntFkexRl8/liqb8oaWblT
         ic8w==
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Received: by 10.182.143.5 with SMTP id sa5mr1990574obb.62.1436242504337;
 Mon, 06 Jul 2015 21:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.202.197.15 with HTTP; Mon, 6 Jul 2015 21:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 00:15:04 -0400
Message-ID: <CAEnGUVHGC=j+QXdNhgw3TkD3Xm4Qp4od=Ky8go2qTFHm4m=UJw@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: testing mxg
From: Maine Justice League <mainejusticeleague@gmail.com>
To: just Gina <peacivist@peacivist.org>, Maine Justice League <gina@mainejustice.org>, 
	gina@mainetenants.org
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=e89a8ff25464484f98051a41449d
X-SF-RX-Return-Path: <mainejusticeleague@gmail.com>
X-SF-HELO-Domain: mail-ob0-f175.google.com
X-SF-Originating-IP: 209.85.214.175
X-SF-SRS: Sender address rewritten from <mainejusticeleague@gmail.com> to <SRS0=8mqT=HP=gmail.com=mainejusticeleague@ik2.com>

mainetenants
New user
New user

Post by mainetenants » 2015-07-07 08:37

Test: Collect server details
hMailServer version: hMailServer 5.6.3-B2249
Database type: MySQL

Test: Test IPv6
IPv6 support is available in operating system.

Test: Test outbound port
SMTP relayer is in use.
Trying to connect to host mail.twc.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 107.14.73.68 on port 587.
Received: 220 Welcome to Road Runner. WARNING: *** FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY! ***.
Connected successfully.

Test: Test backup directory
Backup directory F:\server\hMailServer\Backup is writable.

Test: Test MX records
Trying to resolve MX records for mainejustice.org...
Host name found: mainejustice.org.c2.mx1.ik2.com
Host name found: mainejustice.org.c2.mx2.ik2.io
Host name found: mainejustice.org.c2.mx3.ik2.eu

Test: Test local connect
Connecting to TCP/IP address in MX records for local domain domain mainejustice.org...
Trying to connect to host mainejustice.org.c2.mx1.ik2.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 64.38.239.85 on port 25.
Received: 220 s480g.ik2.com --- IK2 SMTP Server.
Connected successfully.

Test: Test message file locations
Relative message paths are stored in the database for all messages.

Test: Test IP range configuration
No problems were found in the IP range configuration.