Rogers Lying about blocking ports?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
aleks976
New user
New user

Rogers Lying about blocking ports?

Post by aleks976 » 2015-03-06 21:49

Hi all,
I live in Canada and a friend of mine recently had his email service stop being hosted. I now have to take the reigns and host a server for him, luckily I am good with computers and got most of it set up. I can recieve emails that are send to my address, but when I try and send any email, they do not go through. I unblocked the ports, tested with windows firewall on and off, etc. I suspected Rogers was blocking port 25 as I can telnet to mail.hmailserver.com on port 587 without problem, but not on other ports nor port 25. I called Rogers and went on live chat asking them to unblock port 25, they claimed they do not block ports. However I am pretty sure everything on my end is configured to allow mail to be sent, and they must be blocking me.

Rogers has a smtp server, but you have to supply authentication and when I did, it said you must be sending email from the account you supplied authentication.

Also, it is possible my server is trying to send the email to itself instead of my hotmail account?

aleks976
New user
New user

Re: Rogers Lying about blocking ports?

Post by aleks976 » 2015-03-06 21:55

~Update~
I dont mean to update 5 minutes later, but I just looked at the logs and saw this:

Creating Session 28
TCP - 192.168.1.1 connected to 192.168.1.121:587
TCP Connection started for seesion 27

SMTPD: Session 27 : Sent ~~~
SMTPD: Session 27 : Recieved ~~~

Nowhere do I see SMTPC...

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-03-06 22:19

Yes its possible you might be sending to yourself. Depends on how you have things set up.

Have you set up the correct relay details in MAIL DELIVERY RELAY? It sounds like to use your SMTP.ROGERS.CA mailserber ou must be sending as 'user@ROGERS.CA' (or similar). And consequently, if this is true, I cant see how you are going to retrieve email directly for either @ROGERS emails addresses (without using them as an external mail provider and POPing them), or as another domain name (eg user@yourhome.ca) because rogers will not let you send as @yourhome.ca).

i tnink port 25 needs to be open for you if the above is true and its not unknown for you to have to contact ISPs many times before you get a result.

Also how have you setup the issue of MX records and domain names?

Run a DIAGNOSTIC and post results here.
Last edited by jimimaseye on 2015-03-06 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

aleks976
New user
New user

Post by aleks976 » 2015-03-06 22:24

When I put in my SMTP Relay (smtp.broadband.rogers.com) I get an email back that the message was not send.

Test: Collect server details
hMailServer version: hMailServer 5.6.1-B2208
Database type: MSSQL Compact

Test: Test IPv6
IPv6 support is available in operating system.

Test: Test outbound port
SMTP relayer not in use. Attempting mail.hmailserver.com:25...
Trying to connect to host mail.hmailserver.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 46.163.109.39 on port 25.
ERROR: It was not possible to connect.

Test: Test backup directory
Backup directory G:\MailBackup is writable.

Test: Test MX records
Trying to resolve MX records for builtbyform.com...
Host name found: mail1.builtbyform.com

Test: Test local connect
Connecting to TCP/IP address in MX records for local domain domain builtbyform.com...
Trying to connect to host alder.nocdirect.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 69.73.154.77 on port 25.
ERROR: It was not possible to connect.
Trying to connect to host mail1.builtbyform.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 99.240.48.203 on port 25.
Received: 220 mail.mail1.builtbyform.com ESMTP.
Connected successfully.

Test: Test message file locations
Relative message paths are stored in the database for all messages.

Test: Test IP range configuration
No problems were found in the IP range configuration.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-03-06 22:27

You need a relay or port 25 open.
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

aleks976
New user
New user

Post by aleks976 » 2015-03-06 22:31

So how do I open port 25? I called them and they keep saying they don't block it.

If I use their relay I recieve a error back.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 15:27:25 -0500
Subject: Test

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

weirdo44@hotmail.com
Error Type: SMTP
Remote server (67.195.22.104) issued an error.
hMailServer sent: <Password removed>
Remote server replied: 553 From address not verified - see http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/o ... om-07.html

hMailServer

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-03-06 22:49

Its true Yahoo will not let you send from non @YAHOO/@YMAIL/@ROCKETMAIL email addresses.

You need an external server or get them to open port 25. (You sure you have no firewall or router blocking port 25)? Otherwise you're stuffed.

OR.....buy a BUSINESS class adsl connection and they should then open port 25.
5.7 on test.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-03-06 22:52

OR...

read this. does this help? : https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desk ... sions=true

ie, add your hoe email address that you wish to be sending out through yahoo in as an ACCOUNT in Yahoo.
5.7 on test.

SamyKalem
New user
New user

Post by SamyKalem » 2015-03-07 02:11

Hello fellow Canadian,

All ISP block port 25 for outgoing. They unblock for there own relays. For example, My main provider, Videotron, blocks outgoing on port 25. It's only open on there relais, relais.videotron.com. MY backup isp, bell, blocks port 25 in all cases but open's it to there relays, relais.bell.net for business clients. And same thing applies to rogers. You need to speak with a level 2 tech agent to actually tell you the truth.

Also try Mandrill for a smtp relay to circumvent the port 25 blocked port. it's free for up to 12000 email sent per month.

http://mandrill.com/pricing/
Samy Kalem
Email: email@samykalem.com
Office: 1-866-593-3010

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-03-07 11:20

SamyKalem wrote: All ISP block port 25 for outgoing.
A VERY wild remark that is simply not true. My ISP, for example, does not. (The maximum inconveniences I would hit is being listed on spamhaus PBL list as a home user that is not registered for sending from an MTA). But it doesnt stop me.
5.7 on test.

SamyKalem
New user
New user

Post by SamyKalem » 2015-03-07 11:37

A VERY wild remark that is simply not true. My ISP, for example, does not. (The maximum inconveniences I would hit is being listed on spamhaus PBL list as a home user that is not registered for sending from an MTA). But it doesnt stop me.

Re: Rogers Lyi
I'm sorry, I should of specified major canadian ISP. But I assure you, Bell, Rogers, Shaw, Videotron, Cogeco ... block it when its not for there relay.
Samy Kalem
Email: email@samykalem.com
Office: 1-866-593-3010

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening windows.

Snorkasaurus
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Snorkasaurus » 2015-03-11 18:53

Teksavvy does block port 25 on dynamic addresses, but not on static addresses (which cost $4 a month last time I checked). There was a time when Teksavvy was considered "The Cat's Ass" for Canadian geeks who want to do things like run mail servers, but frankly there are times it seems like they are starting to suffer from "Big Business Syndrome". They will however create rDNS entries for you for free by simple email request. They have monthly packages of 400GB per month or unlimited and they only count download traffic between 7am and 2am. I don't know if they are still offering it, but they have me at $5 a month for dry loop fees (even though I am in "BAND F" which is normally $16.25 a month).

I am not affiliated with Teksavvy in any way, I am just a customer who wants to run a mail server and went through the same ridiculous ordeal you are currently experiencing. The information provided above is genuinely not intended to be an advertisement but rather hopefully relevant to your search for an ISP that does not fight against legitimate email admins.

Good luck,
S.