massive email purge from one account

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

massive email purge from one account

Post by sbouli » 2014-11-21 12:39

Hi,

I received 55 000 emails by error and need to erase them from my account ... no way to deal with that with thunderbird ...
I tried through roundcube without success (it's going by the trash ... so 1 move then delete ...)

is there a script way to erase those email directly from the server ? (I tried to find the .eml files but got stuck by windows right access even with the admin account ....) ...

Thanks for any advices !

hmailserver 5.4-B2014040801
with mysql / DB version 5400

Stéphane

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Re: massive email purge from one account

Post by percepts » 2014-11-21 13:58

if you know how to write script then you could do it that way but it would be very slow to run.

does that account have any good mail in it ? If not then just delete the account and then recreate it.

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2014-11-21 15:12

hi,

no I cannot erase that account, it's mine, I am using it via IMAP so it got all my emails ...

Stéphane

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2014-11-21 15:33

as a temporary measure in roundcube you could delete your trash folder and set roundcube server settings to delete mail if it can't move to trash. That should speed things up. You might have to modify roundcube config file so that trash isn't a special folder and then you can delete it.

OR

try another mail client such as windows live mail (free).

mattg

Post by mattg » 2014-11-21 16:33

sbouli wrote:no way to deal with that with thunderbird ...
Why not?

highlight the first one, scroll down highlight the last one while holding shift key, press delete key
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2014-11-21 16:40

it's taking hours just to openup ...
I created a filter in thunderbird to erase those emails (seems to sent to the trash too or I get the roundcube ones in the trash ...)
and I still get some arriving in the inbox but I am almost sure that the main sender process has been shutdown yesterday and I got rules on the hmailserver too to erase those email (with the from as a qualifier) ...
I will stick with thunderbird ... seem slow but more secure ;)

Thanks for your help ...

Stéphane