A few questions about migrating to hMailServer

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Sune
Normal user
Normal user

A few questions about migrating to hMailServer

Post by Sune » 2005-09-21 21:01

I'm currently using MDaemon which has all the features i need, but after i found this project it seems much more interesting - less features, but it seems to have all that i need. I have a few questions though, which i hope someone will be able to answer :)

1) How does the spamfilter work - is it based on SpamAssasin with Bayesian learning included? Spam filtering is very important for my choice, and i would like a server with the features included instead of setting up extra software for this.

2) What happends to mails concidered as spam?
I know that virus mails can be deleted or have the attachements deleted, but is there any feature of keeping virus/spam mails on the server (perhaps auto deleted after XX days), in case an important mail gets filtered?

3) Is there any way of specifying on a per domain basis, whether or not such features as IMAP, spam an virus filter should be enabled?

4) Is there any kind of white list that overrules the filters, rules etc.?

5) Is pop before smtp suppoted, or how is it avoided that people are sending spam through the smtp server?

6) Is there any way of temporarily disabling an account or temporarily setting it up for forward instead of an ordinary account?

7) is max message size on domain the same as the max total size of mailboxes on the domains?

Some of the features i'm asking for might not exist, but are there any plans of implementating any of them?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but i hope someone has the time and will be willing to answer them - thank you :)
I look forward to your replies.

--
Regards,
Sune

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-09-21 21:32

1) No, the spamfilter is not included. hMailServer currently includes support for DNS black lists, SPF and a few other minor.

2) Today it's deleted, I know there's a feature request that there should be an header added to the message instead. This way you can decide more whatself what shouldh happen.

3) No.

4) See 1. It's up to the spam protection to do this.

5) No. SMTP Authentication is used. I think this is preferred over POP-before-SMTP.

6) You can temporarly disable an account. You can create an alias that forwards message. There's no great combination between those tow.

7) The max message size is the maximum message size of messages. I.e. how big a single message may be.

Easiest way is to look through this section:
http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

It's you users that vote what features should be implemented. I merely follow the votes..

cmurphy54
Senior user
Senior user

Re: A few questions about migrating to hMailServer

Post by cmurphy54 » 2005-09-21 21:47

4) I believe there is a feature request for this one too.

6) you can create a rule to forward the incoming mail which is kind of a combination of the two

Sune
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Sune » 2005-09-21 23:47

Thank you both for your replies.

1) Sad to hear that, so i would need to set up a third party spamassasin filter to receive the e-mail and pass it on to hmailserver?

7) So there's no way of saying domain X may max use Y disk space? like if i host mail for a customer with 100 mb storage.

Seems like a very smart way to do with the voting :)
However, if i for instance look on the SpamAssasin integration topic, it only shows one vote which is the one i made?

Do you personally expect to integrate SpamAssasin (no promise of course)?

cmurphy54
Senior user
Senior user

Post by cmurphy54 » 2005-09-22 00:30

1) Many people here use SpamAssassin and many use ASSP. Both can be integrated, but ASSP is definitely easier.

Look in the How To's area as there are how to's for both.

7) There is a feature request for this functionality as well.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-09-22 07:57

Sune:
I think some people may actually prefer to have it outside the installation. The installation would be at least twice as big if spamassassin was integrated. Besides, some people may prefer other spam protection than spamassassin.

Personally, I don't really like the idéa of having it integrated (because of the above reasons). Perhaps the optimal solution would be to create a small zip that contains everything you need and is easy to use.

iprat
Normal user
Normal user

Post by iprat » 2005-09-22 11:58

martin wrote:Perhaps the optimal solution would be to create a small zip that contains everything you need and is easy to use.
I couldn't be more agree with you.

The only thing that stopped me to install ASSP is that when I read the "How-to's" I found that I had to get two or more packs, and I had not time to read the how-to twice. I always prefer to read how-to's twice or more to get sure I don't miss anything.

A single zipped file with all the components to install ASSP in col·laboration with hMailserver would be perfect. It will be no problem for anybody wanting to get an antispam tool with hMailserver to install a zipped pack that easies the ASSP installation.

Best regards,

Ignasi Prat

Sune
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Sune » 2005-09-22 14:52

True, that sounds a nice alternative - it'll satisfy almost everybody i guess.