DNS blacklist and SURBL "Score" setting

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
rstarkov
New user
New user

DNS blacklist and SURBL "Score" setting

Post by rstarkov » 2014-01-09 16:23

The DNS blacklist and SURBL features in hMailServer both have a "Score" setting that isn't documented on the relevant pages, e.g. here.

Since there's both a "Score" and a "Rejection message", I'm confused: will hMailServer reject messages that match the blacklist, or simply bump the spam score accordingly and then use the score thresholds to mark as spam / delete?

mattg

Re: DNS blacklist and SURBL "Score" setting

Post by mattg » 2014-01-09 17:19

rstarkov wrote:simply bump the spam score accordingly and then use the score thresholds to mark as spam / delete?
This one
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

rstarkov
New user
New user

Post by rstarkov » 2014-01-09 17:55

Thanks! I'm glad it does that.

It looks like the "Rejection message" is used in the "X-hMailServer-Reason" header to explain the score.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2014-01-10 00:26

The message shown in the 'X-Hmailserver-reason' header is the LAST rejection message.

e.g. if a message fails 3 tests before it is classified as SPAM, then the 'X-hmailserver-reason' will be the 'rejection message' from the third test.
If it takes 5 tests before a message is classified as SPAM, then the fifth test's rejection message is used for this header.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

rstarkov
New user
New user

Post by rstarkov » 2014-01-10 15:34

mattg wrote:The message shown in the 'X-Hmailserver-reason' header is the LAST rejection message.
Actually it appears that in my build, all the rejection messages are shown:

Code: Select all

X-hMailServer-Spam: YES
X-hMailServer-Reason-1: Blocked by SPF () - (Score: 3)
X-hMailServer-Reason-2: Rejected by SURBL. - (Score: 3)
X-hMailServer-Reason-Score: 6
Which is a good thing, of course.