Help creating a rule for persistent autoreply

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Help creating a rule for persistent autoreply

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2013-04-23 16:17

Hmailserver version 5.4 B1931

So I created a rule so that sends an autoresponse to anyone who sends to that address (it's a 'we received your email and will respond...' type message). Problem: it responds to other autoreplies and creates a mail loop. This is my setup:

Conditions:
From Wildcard *@*.*
From Not Contains ithelpdesk@domainname.com (this was one particular autoreply that got stuck in a loop)

Actions:
Stop Rule Processing

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Help creating a rule for persistent autoreply

Post by percepts » 2013-04-23 19:45

whats the point of sending an auto reply from a mail server, it just wastes bandwidth, resources and peoples time. And it's always false unless you say 'our mailserver has received your mail but we can't guarantee that the intended recipient has seen it because they may not have'

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2013-04-23 20:04

whats the point of sending an auto reply from a mail server
This is the request the manager of that area made. It is for a general mail account that is used to receive resumes. Think of it as an assurance to senders that their email has made it past our spam filter, rather than the fact it has been read. It will *save* them time because the sender will be assured the email arrived instead of pestering the department with phone calls. And if a single mail address sending out autoreplies creates bandwidth problems on our network, then we have bigger issues to deal with.

So, moving on, any suggestions out there? Thx

AdrianK_IT
Normal user
Normal user

Post by AdrianK_IT » 2013-04-23 21:53

If your outgoing auto-reply email had a differnt 'reply-to' address, any auto-replies to it should go to that address, which you can set a prior condition to ignore. Wouldn't that do it?
aka itproxy | Asus T100TA | Win 8.1 32-bit | Apache 2.4 | hMail 5.6 | AfterLogic 5.0 | MySQL 5.5 | PHP 5.4 | FileZilla 0.9 | BIND 9.11 | TightVNC 2.7 | FreeSSH 1.2 | BitviseSSH 6.0 | Comodo 7.0

mattg

Post by mattg » 2013-04-24 01:13

Why don't you use auto-reply rather than rules.

Auto-reply will only send a single reply to each sender until the hMailserver is restarted (this detail is cached)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2013-04-24 14:35

mattg wrote:Why don't you use auto-reply rather than rules.
This is what I originally used, but if the same sender sends multiple resumes, each in a separate a email (which is the norm), they'll only get one autoreply and think the other emails they sent didn't reach the destination.
itproxy wrote:If your outgoing auto-reply email had a differnt 'reply-to' address, any auto-replies to it should go to that address, which you can set a prior condition to ignore. Wouldn't that do it?
This is an interesting idea. I'll check into whether it can work that way.

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2013-04-24 15:35

You'd need to use rule or script to get around the once per sender per boot that hmail does now. Just understand you risk getting blacklisted for spamming back scatter & spewing crap uncontrollably. It'd be trivial for me add an ini to disable hmail tracking who they've been sent to before and pretty simple to have hmail count & limit max per address and/or expire them but been reluctant because it's a good thing that hmail does not send responses over & over & over & over.. Btw this has been gone over a few times with people who wanted the same thing & one option is to script stop/start of hmail to clear them. Not pretty but hey neither is sending unlimited rsvp's blindly either. ;)
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2013-04-24 16:39

Bill48105 wrote:one option is to script stop/start of hmail to clear them
Yeah, I think I'll probably go this route. Seems simpler. Thx all

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2013-04-24 17:03

If sender wants notification of receipt they have the option to request a receipt notification when they send the email. Good practice to assume they don't if they haven't asked for one and those that do can be replied to by your receiving mail client when it closes the email.
i.e. normal rules of etiquette for sending and receiving email have already been provided for in email clients for those that wish to use it. Server really doesn't need to do it.

But if you really want to ignore standard practice then just add a receipt request to mail as it arrives(if it hasn't already got one) at server and email client user at your end just has to click "now" when receipt is asked for as they close the email

line to add to header is:

Disposition-Notification-To: <user@theirdomain.com>

all you need to do is plugin the from email address as it arrives at your server.
The person opening the email will get a receipt request when they close it and they can just click now.
Unless of course you don't even bother to read the emails in which case.....

And besides, just because you send one doesn't meen the applicant won't phone anyway to judge your interest in their resume...

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2013-04-24 17:35

infact

Return-Receipt-To: <user@sender.com>

means requested delivery receipt (according to microsoft)

and

Disposition-Notification-To: <user@sender.com>

means requested read receipt (according to microsoft)

not entirely sure what the difference is in your email client. Whether hmailserver or exchange process them differently or just let them directly through to email client I don't know.

If in doubt use Disposition-Notification-To: <user@sender.com> because that works in my very old version of eudora which doesn't have option for Return-Receipt-To: <user@sender.com>. i.e. former is likely to work better for older email clients.