stop relay attempts

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
associates
Normal user
Normal user

stop relay attempts

Post by associates » 2012-11-02 00:58

Hi,

I was wondering if I can get some help here.

What happens is from my ASSP log file, I see there has been a number of Relay Attempts by the same IP Address. On my mail server, I have hMailServer 5.3-B1617 up and running without any problems. I also have ASSP (Spam filter) up and running as well.

What I have done so far to stop these relay attempts is I added the IP addresses to the IP Blocking on my ASSP. But I'm just wondering if there is anything I can set on my hMailServer configuration to prevent this relay attempt.

This is how my hMailServer is configured:
Under Settings -> Protocol -> SMTP, in general:
Connections = 0
Delivery of e-mail = 4
Minutes between every retry = 60

SMTP Relayer
Remote host name = <blank>
Remote TCP/IP port = 25
Server requires authentication <uncheck>
Use SSL <uncheck>

Also, I have enabled Auto-ban with:
Max invalid logon attempts = 3
Minutes before reset = 5
Minutes to auto-ban = 60

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

mattg

Re: stop relay attempts

Post by mattg » 2012-11-02 01:14

was hMailserver allowing the connections?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

associates
Normal user
Normal user

Post by associates » 2012-11-02 01:50

Thank Mattg for your reply.

I went to check into hMailServer log file to do a search for the IP address in the last three log files but returned nothing.

Hmmm... Does it mean these IP addresses have been blocked by ASSP in the forefront?

Thank you

mattg

Post by mattg » 2012-11-02 02:18

depends on what you log, but yes probably that's correct

Although I'm not really certain how ASSP works with hMailserver. Does ASSP sit in front, and then all connections to hMailserver come from ASSP? or does all connections come through hMailserver and then hMailserver checks with ASSP for a SPAM score?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

associates
Normal user
Normal user

Post by associates » 2012-11-02 02:55

Hi Mattg,

Good point. I need to check what I actually set to log.

Although I'm not really certain how ASSP works with hMailserver. Does ASSP sit in front, and then all connections to hMailserver come from ASSP? or does all connections come through hMailserver and then hMailserver checks with ASSP for a SPAM score?

Right, my setup is this. My ASSP sits in front - filtering what's and what's not spam before they get into my INBOX. So I would say all the connections to hMailServer come from ASSP.

Thank you