robocopy for backup purposes

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
prisma
Senior user
Senior user

robocopy for backup purposes

Post by prisma » 2012-09-25 21:06

Robocopy was already discussed for creating hot standby servers in combination with mySql replication. So I assume that it is somehow possible to use robocopy also for backup purposes.
But I want to ask this explicit:

Is it possible to backup the database file of a mssql ce installation also? Wouldn't the OLE db provider crash if robocopy is copying and accessing the file? Is robocopy only possible for the data directory?

Has anybody experiences with this?

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Re: robocopy for backup purposes

Post by Bill48105 » 2012-09-25 22:37

I use robocopy on a schedule myself BUT i use mysql & do a sqldump. You are right, not sure how it'd be handled if you try copying the mssql ce file while it was in use.. Odds are your best bet is to do db/settongs only backup using hmail's built-in backup then robocopy to copy entire hmail tree EXCET the db.. I think it'd skip that to avoid in-use issues. (There is a chance you might not get in-use errors but not sure I'd trust the copy enough for backup purposes..)
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Re: robocopy for backup purposes

Post by prisma » 2012-09-26 09:42

Thanx Bill,

brilliant idea to use the built-in backup for database... some things are simply simple :)