Upgrading to Latest Versions, Gotchas to look for?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
cncJasonB
New user
New user

Upgrading to Latest Versions, Gotchas to look for?

Post by cncJasonB » 2011-12-16 00:28

We have been running hMailServer v5.1.2-B346 happily for a long time, but in the process of working with the COM API a little more I'm beginning to feel like I need to upgrade to 5.3.3 in order to make sure that some strange behavior is related to my code and not differences between the documentation available on this site and our older version of the server.

The documentation doesn't mention upgrades other than in reference to the MySQL database when going from an older version of 4.

The quick start and troubleshooting guides don't mention anything specific to upgrading a currently running server. Everything is configured correctly now and I need to confirm that it will continue to run smoothly after I'm done!

Are there any steps that I need to take to ensure that all of my configuration data remains solid?
Do I need to uninstall the old version or just install the new one over it?
Should I back up my customized EventHandlers.vbs file or anything else before I begin this process?
Any other gotchas that I need to be aware of before working with this production server?

Thank you for reading this, any feedback is appreciated.

mattg

Re: Upgrading to Latest Versions, Gotchas to look for?

Post by mattg » 2011-12-16 02:10

Backup backup and backup
Test restore the backup if possible to a another machine.

upgrade is install over the top.

COM API didn't change substantially after 5.1 so event handlers should be OK (but you should test if possible)

In saying that, there should be no issues, only improvements.

I'd recommend going to 5.4 Beta. Many of us have been on it for over a year in production
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

rolaids0
Normal user
Normal user

Post by rolaids0 » 2011-12-16 04:02

IOCP issues in 5.3.3, best bet is to go 5.3.4 or the still developed 5.4 beta. There is also a thread for experimental builds that some of us are using (somethings fixed, some new items.)

cncJasonB
New user
New user

Post by cncJasonB » 2011-12-16 17:09

Thank you for your replies, Matt and Rolaids. I will report back my progress here.