issue with smtp relayer

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
associates
Normal user
Normal user

issue with smtp relayer

Post by associates » 2011-12-15 06:05

Hi,

I wonder if I can get some help here. This may sound silly but I am just curious. I am hosting my own website as well as mail server.

In my outlook 2010, I added two accounts with one email account for hmailserver server and the other for my home's Internet Service Provider called "ISPexample".

They both work really well at home (using ISP1 - Internet service provider) as well as at work (using ISP2 - Internet Service Provider) on Outlook.

Just recently one of my work colleagues came to me with his iPad2 asking me to add his work email account to his iPad2. At work, we run hMailServer 5.3-B1617 as our IMAP mail server. That works fine. But when I added his IMAP personal email account from ISP3 (different from ISP1 and ISP2) with ISP3's incoming server settings (e.g. smtp.isp3.com) and outgoing server settings (e.g. smtp.isp3.com), it did not work with an error message saying "doesn't allow relaying". However, it worked as soon as I removed the outgoing server from smtp.isp3.com to ourcompanydomain.com.au. This indicates our hMailServer won't allow anyone to use it as smtp relayer which is good. But just curious why it works with outlook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

mattg

Re: issue with smtp relayer

Post by mattg » 2011-12-15 07:02

Doesn't outlook pick which SMTP server it will use depending on which account is used as the from? I don't think there is any relaying...

You can set multiple SMTP servers on an iPad, but by default it only uses one. Check Network >> Mail settings on the iPad.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

associates
Normal user
Normal user

Post by associates » 2011-12-16 00:17

Thanks Mattg for your reply.

Yes, that's right. that's what I did. I set multiple SMTP server on the iPad but then I turned on more than one SMTP server thinking the iPad would be smart to pick which SMTP server is available at present. But unfortunately, that's not the case as it did not work. It worked straight away after I turned off one and leave the other one on.

However, regarding the outlook, yes you're right that when you said Outlook picks which SMTP server it will use depending on which account is used as the from. But I am a little confused because in both incoming server and outgoing server, I put in the same domain. For example, Milanda has a work email account. When she sets up her both incoming server and outgoing server, she uses ourcompany.com.au. At home, she uses AAPT as her ISP. She also set up her AAPT email account in Outlook. So she has two accounts on her Outlook. She said she had no problem, at home, sending and receiving emails when using work account as the from.

One thing I am not sure of is whether her home ISP does allow relaying.

Thank you

mattg

Post by mattg » 2011-12-16 01:05

It could also be related to the wifi network at work, and what is allowed from wifi to LAN (LAN isolation) or whether or not loopback is allowed... Perhaps the local IP address of your work hmailserver may allow this when at work rather than the FQDN.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation