Save messages from Anti Spam

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
targetit
New user
New user

Save messages from Anti Spam

Post by targetit » 2010-10-08 11:04

Hi,

I'm using the built in anti-spam...which has been working great, although it has actually rejected some legitimate emails using Spamcop.

Is there a way to create a Inbox/Spam folder for all accounts and instead of rejecting spam emails they would be put into the spam folder for the account the email was intended for?

Thanks

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Save messages from Anti Spam

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-10-08 11:55

That depends on if your users are using imap or not.

You can just mark email with [SPAM] in the subject and not reject it, then let your users setup mail filters on their clients just set your delete threshold to something high like 1000
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

prisma
Senior user
Senior user

Post by prisma » 2010-10-08 13:25

Right what ^doom^ said. Set threshold very high. If clients are using IMAP you could additional create a global rule to move junk to a junk-folder of every account. The problem is, the clients have to subscribe the folder themselves. If not, all junk "disappears" without being seen by the user (as long the user subscribes the folder).

targetit
New user
New user

Post by targetit » 2010-10-11 13:47

Hi,

I like the idea of the global rule, but I'm unsure if you mean create a rule on the client email program or a rule can be created within hMailServer. Also, what do you mean by subscribe to the folder, do you just mean they are showing this 'spam' folder in the clients email program and can access it?

Thanks

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2010-10-11 13:53

Hi,
Pretty sure he meant global rule (and/or per account rule if desired) in hmail admin so it's done server side but if set configure hmail to set email header you could do it client-side with rule as well. Pros/cons to each.

If you create server side rule odds are you'd set action to move message to Junk/Spam folder in the user's box rather than their inbox to reduce clutter yet give them a way to check for 'lost' emails in there just in case. Issue is email clients don't 'subscribe' or auto-add/view special IMAP server folders unless you add them manually in the email client. It just means they show up in your local folder list and/or get notified of changes.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

targetit
New user
New user

Post by targetit » 2010-10-11 13:58

Great help, thanks

Where do I start testing/creating a rule within hMail?

Thanks

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2010-10-11 14:03

In the GUI admin on Start menu or bin folder, or the web-based PHP admin too if you installed that.
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... ails_rules
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... s_examples
Among other pages in docs & examples in forums.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

targetit
New user
New user

Post by targetit » 2010-10-14 13:47

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help with this. I have a great anti-spam setup now:

Spam mark threshold - 3
Spam delete threshold - 1000
Use SPF - Score 3

DNS Blacklist - b.barracudacentral.org - score 5
SURBL - multi.surbl.org, zen.spamhaus.org, bl.spamcop.net. b.barracudacentral.org - all score 3

I've then setup a global rule so any emails with the word 'spam' in the subjet moves to an IMAP folder called 'spam' so emails are easier to deal with.

Thanks again.

PS Thinking of using ASSP instead as I know how powerful it is, although hMailServer's antispam is doing great so far!