Hmail AntiSpam vs Spamassassin vs ASSAP

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
mustang
New user
New user

Hmail AntiSpam vs Spamassassin vs ASSAP

Post by mustang » 2010-08-13 10:55

Dear All,

Im investigating wich anti spam solution i have to install

- Default Hmail antispam: Easy to install and doenst take much resources
- Spamassassin: Hard to install, Heavy and need some serious monitoring
- ASSAP: not familiar with that yet

My question to you is what did you choose.

Rainer
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Hmail AntiSpam vs Spamassassin vs ASSAP

Post by Rainer » 2010-08-13 11:54

Hello Mustang, we are using only the HMS-Antispam and GeoLite Country to block some unwanted conuntries and we have really no spam!

Kind regards :)
Rainer Noa

Bill48105
Developer
Developer

Post by Bill48105 » 2010-08-18 00:27

Hey Mustang,
I use ASSP & Spamassassin myself. Most of hmail's anti-spam features are moot if you use ASSP since it sits in front of the mail server as a proxy so all connections appear as your IP which pretty much makes all connection-based tests useless (greylisting, DNS blacklists etc).

For most I'd say the antispam options in hmail are likely plenty, especially if you get some good DNS blacklists in & scoring right. Spamassassin can be a bear to install & get working and is a decent amount of work maintaining. (Mostly updating & tweaking rules/scoring to work how you want). ASSP isn't too hard to install but has SOOO MANY options (SA has plenty itself) that it can be a chore to get working right, especially since you need to think hard about the proxy aspect in particular since you pretty much need to think of ASSP as another mail server relaying to hmail & setup accordingly.
Bill
hMailServer build LIVE on my servers: 5.4-B2014050402
#hmailserver on FreeNode IRC https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#hmailserver
*** ABSENT FROM hMail! Those in IRC know how to find me if urgent. ***

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2010-08-18 11:37

Rainer wrote:Hello Mustang, we are using only the HMS-Antispam and GeoLite Country to block some unwanted conuntries and we have really no spam!

Kind regards :)
Hello
Can you explain how to use the geolite country plugin?

thank you
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP
admin (at) spadhausen . com