webmail client can't send mail - help with hmailserver log?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

webmail client can't send mail - help with hmailserver log?

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2010-03-18 19:52

Hmailserver 5.3.2, build 1769 using Squirrelmail 1.4.20 as webmail client

Need help figuring out the log for an imap account. The 'trimmed down' log is 124 pages so I can't paste the whole thing and a short cut isn't likely to help, but here's the summary.

I have a complaint from a user saying she cannot send an email from her webmail and if I check the hmailserver log (the error log shows nothing), the only thing that seems unusual to me is:

1) there are no SMTP sessions logged for her or errors related to smtp that I can see--if she is trying to send, it doesn't appear to be recording it under 'SMTP'. Is there anything that could happen that would prevent an attempted send from being recorded? Or is there a different error I can look for?

2) the relevent imap session, which lasts from 17:21-17:24, is HUGE -- if I trim it down to only include her own sessions for that time period, it is still over 100 pages long. She connects to the session multiple times during this short period without actually logging in/out of her web account (probably about 13 times). Is that normal?

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Re: webmail client can't send mail - help with hmailserver log?

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-18 20:02

entropicsinkhole wrote:Hmailserver 5.3.2, build 1769 using Squirrelmail 1.4.20 as webmail client

Need help figuring out the log for an imap account. The 'trimmed down' log is 124 pages so I can't paste the whole thing and a short cut isn't likely to help, but here's the summary.

I have a complaint from a user saying she cannot send an email from her webmail and if I check the hmailserver log (the error log shows nothing), the only thing that seems unusual to me is:

1) there are no SMTP sessions logged for her or errors related to smtp that I can see--if she is trying to send, it doesn't appear to be recording it under 'SMTP'. Is there anything that could happen that would prevent an attempted send from being recorded? Or is there a different error I can look for?
How big is that message?
Are you sure that user hasn't exceeded email quota?
entropicsinkhole wrote: 2) the relevent imap session, which lasts from 17:21-17:24, is HUGE -- if I trim it down to only include her own sessions for that time period, it is still over 100 pages long. She connects to the session multiple times during this short period without actually logging in/out of her web account (probably about 13 times). Is that normal?
It is normal for php webmail. connections are not persistent. Any page load creates new login/logout sequence.

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2010-03-18 20:33

How big is that message?
About 3kb, if I judge by the one she successfully sent through her ISP email account. It's basically a resume, so not very big. We do have a message size limit (20GB) through our spam filter, assp, but that would have been logged by assp.
Are you sure that user hasn't exceeded email quota?
We don't have a mail quota for users. Her mail box size is well below our average user's mailbox. (I did double-check to make sure someone else didn't turn it on without me)

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-18 20:39

entropicsinkhole wrote:
How big is that message?
About 3kb, if I judge by the one she successfully sent through her ISP email account. It's basically a resume, so not very big. We do have a message size limit (20GB) through our spam filter, assp, but that would have been logged by assp.
Can you send emails with attachments in webmail?

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2010-03-18 20:47

Yes. As long as they are not .zip, .exe, and other risky types. She tells me she was not trying to send an attachment.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-18 21:57

entropicsinkhole wrote:
Yes. As long as they are not .zip, .exe, and other risky types. She tells me she was not trying to send an attachment.
Resume is attachment. OpenOffice and Microsoft Office 2007 documents are zips.

What error message is displayed, when she tries to send email and fails.

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2010-03-18 22:15

Resume is attachment. OpenOffice and Microsoft Office 2007 documents are zips
She already told me she did not send it as an attachment, but within the body text itself. OpenOffice and Microsoft Office 2007 documents are not zips by default and she would have no reason to zip them even if she knew how (trust me, she doesn't :p). If it was blocked by attachment, my assp logs would record it anyway, since I block attachments using assp.
No error message. It just never appears in her Sent box.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-19 09:09

entropicsinkhole wrote:
Resume is attachment. OpenOffice and Microsoft Office 2007 documents are zips
She already told me she did not send it as an attachment, but within the body text itself. OpenOffice and Microsoft Office 2007 documents are not zips by default and she would have no reason to zip them even if she knew how (trust me, she doesn't :p). If it was blocked by attachment, my assp logs would record it anyway, since I block attachments using assp.
No error message. It just never appears in her Sent box.
When message is sent and email is composed in new window, SquirrelMail displays "Your mail has been sent.". Some SquirrelMail version lost same sent confirmation message in configurations that compose emails in main frameset. User can turn off use of Sent folder and the fact that message is not in Sent folder does not mean anything.

When SquirrelMail sends email, it checks for errors. If error happens, error message is displayed. Again. What kind of error happens when user sends email? Blank page, zero sized reply, redirection invalid host/page or timeout are errors too.

It does not look like your problem is related to hmailserver.

User does not have to zip .docx or .odt files. They are already zipped. Change .docx extension to .zip and open file in your favorite archiver. If software uses file header to check file type, it might think that these files are zip archives.

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2010-03-19 14:46

When message is sent and email is composed in new window, SquirrelMail displays "Your mail has been sent."
Our version of squirrelmail does not use the sent confirmation plugin, as this interferes with another plugin (quicksave). Therefore, there is no sent confirmation message.
Some SquirrelMail version lost same sent confirmation message in configurations that compose emails in main frameset.

By 'main frameset', do you mean that when the compose window doesn't open it's open separate window?
User can turn off use of Sent folder and the fact that message is not in Sent folder does not mean anything.

Gotchya.
When SquirrelMail sends email, it checks for errors. If error happens, error message is displayed. Again. What kind of error happens when user sends email? Blank page, zero sized reply, redirection invalid host/page or timeout are errors too.
There are no error messages. She says it just took a really long time to send, but it APPEARED to send (ie. the compose window disappeared and she returned to the main inbox screen), but the recipient never received it. When I checked the hmailserver logs, I see her logged onto imap sessions during that time, but no smtp activity. Likewise, my assp logs show no activity from her.
I'm inclined to agree, but she tells me this has happened before, so I'm trying to rule it out 100%. Is there anything I'm not looking for in the logs that I need to be looking at to rule hmailserver out completely? ie. if there are no SMTP sessions during this time, does this indicate that whatever she was doing on her computer never reached the server and therefore has nothing to do with hmailserver?
User does not have to zip .docx or .odt files. They are already zipped. Change .docx extension to .zip and open file in your favorite archiver. If software uses file header to check file type, it might think that these files are zip archives.
Doesn't matter anyway. She didn't send an attachment, just body text.

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-03-19 15:39

entropicsinkhole wrote:
When message is sent and email is composed in new window, SquirrelMail displays "Your mail has been sent."
Our version of squirrelmail does not use the sent confirmation plugin, as this interferes with another plugin (quicksave). Therefore, there is no sent confirmation message.
It is not plugin. When user sends email, he or she gets confirmation. It is small text notice, which says "Your mail has been sent." Message is displayed on top of compose window.
entropicsinkhole wrote:
I'm inclined to agree, but she tells me this has happened before, so I'm trying to rule it out 100%. Is there anything I'm not looking for in the logs that I need to be looking at to rule hmailserver out completely? ie. if there are no SMTP sessions during this time, does this indicate that whatever she was doing on her computer never reached the server and therefore has nothing to do with hmailserver?
1. User sends email in SquirrelMail compose window. It is submitted to configured SMTP server or sendmail utility. If some users can send email, SquirrelMail sendmail/smtp configuration is not broken. SquirrelMail detects SMTP errors and only sendmail errors might go unnoticed, if you have broken sendmail binary, which returns invalid status codes.

2. Copy of email is saved in Sent folder (optionally). If user's preferences are set to save messages and they are not saved, then there is something wrong with that account.

If bigger emails fail, you might hit PHP memory limits. If attachments fail, you configured attachment directory in SquirrelMail incorrectly.

3. If you have some proxy (ASSP) between SquirrelMail and SMTP server, this proxy processes submitted message and sends it to email server. Check proxy logs or rule out proxy and make SquirrelMail talk to SMTP server directly.

4. hMailServer receives email, logs it (optionally) and sends to email recipient.

Check user's SquirrelMail folder preferences and make sure that they are set to save emails.

Double check your apache and PHP error logs. On SquirrelMail mailing list you already said that there are no errors (favicon.ico issue is not PHP error), but spellchecker scripts produced errors every time you called them. These errors are somewhere in your logs, if you haven't reconfigured your PHP setup and haven't disabled error logging. If you log PHP errors, only PHP memory limit error might go unnoticed and then user should complain about blank pages or zero sized replies.

Enable SMTP logging in hMailServer and check if you can log other email submissions.

Try to reproduce user's problem. If you can't do that, you won't be able to debug it. "can't send email" is not useful error message

entropicsinkhole
Normal user
Normal user

Post by entropicsinkhole » 2010-03-19 18:28

I was able to get the password off the user, so now I am able to test her account myself. She sends fine (right now) and the emails appear in the Sent box afterward. I cannot duplicate the problem and without errors I can't pinpoint anything. By the sounds of it, I need to move the problem to the squirrelmail forum, assuming I can find a way to duplicate the problem or find a useful error related to it.

However, Just to be complete and in case it's somehow useful to anyone, I'll answer to dzekas' comments:
When user sends email, he or she gets confirmation.

I see where I was making my mistake -- my own mail is not set to open Compose 'in a new window', so the sent message doesn't show up when *I* send. However, for the user in question, I finally got her to log in for me and she DOES have had option checked off and DOES receive the send confirmation. And now she's saying she DID receive a Sent message.
If bigger emails fail, you might hit PHP memory limits. If attachments fail, you configured attachment directory in SquirrelMail incorrectly.
The email in question was very small, text about a paragraph long. She was inquiring about a job position, not sending a resume or any other attachment.
3. If you have some proxy (ASSP) between SquirrelMail and SMTP server, this proxy processes submitted message and sends it to email server. Check proxy logs or rule out proxy and make SquirrelMail talk to SMTP server directly.

assp recorded no messages from this user account at that time.
4. hMailServer receives email, logs it (optionally) and sends to email recipient.
Neither the recipient (also a local domain account) nor the sender appear in the logs as sending/receiving the problem message.
Check user's SquirrelMail folder preferences and make sure that they are set to save emails.
Yep, they are. Yep it works (normally)
Double check your apache and PHP error logs....

Yeah, no errors (other than favicon.ico) in the apache error.log. I DO have php error_reporting on (set to value 6143), but no logs. The squirrelmail configtest is all clear of errors at the moment.
Enable SMTP logging in hMailServer and check if you can log other email submissions.
I have everything enabled in my logs, including SMTP
Try to reproduce user's problem. If you can't do that, you won't be able to debug it. "can't send email" is not useful error message
Agreed. Thanks for your help!