Hmail, SquirrelMail, IIS new install

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
sheldon
New user
New user

Hmail, SquirrelMail, IIS new install

Post by sheldon » 2010-01-24 04:06

I have spent the better part of the day perusing this forum and there have been a number of references to someones simple instructions in getting Hmail, SquirrelMail and IIS working together. I formerly used Imail and it has a Webmail interface built in, so this is kind of new to me.

But I have PHP working on IIS. Hmail is working happily and as far as I can tell, SquirrelMail is set up they way it is supposed to. But no where can I find out how to get SQM to talk to HM!

What really surprises me is that with the number of people saying they use SQM, there is no install script for us newbies...

mattg

Re: Hmail, SquirrelMail, IIS new install

Post by mattg » 2010-01-24 05:02

There is a Squirrelmail setup script if you also have Perl installed.

Otherwise you need to manually configure Squirrelmail, in the Squirrelmail\config\config.php (which may not exist in a new install - you will need to copy the config_default.php and rename it).

remember to use username in the form user@domain.com unless you have set up a 'login_alias.pref' for your squirrelmail install.

This is not a Squirrelmail support forum though. hMailserver doesn't include a webmail client, as many users of hmailserver will not need one, or have a customised one written.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

sheldon
New user
New user

Post by sheldon » 2010-01-24 06:36

mattg wrote:Otherwise you need to manually configure Squirrelmail, in the Squirrelmail\config\config.php (which may not exist in a new install - you will need to copy the config_default.php and rename it).
Done as far as I know. I cannot find ANY reference to any specific Hmail functions, i.e. how does SQM know where to find Hmail databases and so on. What settings need to be changed from default so SQM finds the users and email in Hmail's databases.
mattg wrote:remember to use username in the form user@domain.com unless you have set up a 'login_alias.pref' for your squirrelmail install.
Common in multiple domain setups.
mattg wrote:This is not a Squirrelmail support forum though.
You must have a hot key set up for this line as you seem to use it way too much. It makes you come off as condescending and rude. I posted on this forum as Hmail is the primary application. SQM seems to be working and Hmail is working. But they do not "talk" to each other.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2010-01-24 07:05

sheldon wrote:It makes you come off as condescending and rude..
Good luck with your setup....

I was going to say that there are NO specific hmailserver functions within Squirrelmail. Squirrelmail connects to any standard IMAP or POP3 or SMTP server and hMailserver is one of those, but if you don't need my help then keep insulting me...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-01-24 11:15

Sheldon,

Next time you insult someone on here you will be removed from this forum. Matt is absolutely correct when he says this is not a support forum for squirrel mail and the fact he gave you any help at all is because of his good nature. If It were me I would have just told you we don't support SM here.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

dzekas
Senior user
Senior user

Post by dzekas » 2010-01-25 08:56

sheldon wrote:What settings need to be changed from default so SQM finds the users and email in Hmail's databases.
Portable webmail clients don't access mail store directly. They use IMAP and defaults usually work with IMAP server on localhost. In case of SquirrelMail you must change only SquirrelMail data and temp directory defaults that are set to FHS complaint locations in newer SquirrelMail versions.

In case of hMailServer email info is not needed, because login name is same as email. If you set default domain for hMailServer, SquirrelMail has domain setting and plugins that add domain to login name.

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2010-01-26 17:30

Hi,

Try to change localhost to 127.0.0.1 in the conf of SquirrelMail

it did it for me.

Stéphane

Kongzi
New user
New user

Post by Kongzi » 2011-02-07 20:11

http://yourserver/squirrelmail/src/configtest.php

This is your friend, it will display any obvious problems with your SM install, if this doesn't run, you have a more basic problem. If you want a nice command line setup, run /src/config.pl on your windows box, run through the config options there to save you editing the config.php by hand.

SM also has a hmailserver specific configuration to improve performance (once you get it working). This can also be found in in the config.pl setup or manually changed in the config file.