plantage admin + plantage réinstall + install impossible ...

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

plantage admin + plantage réinstall + install impossible ...

Post by sbouli » 2010-01-11 14:09

Bonjour,

Aujourd'hui après des mois de bon et loyaux services ma version hMailServer-5.1-B340 de l'admin refuse de se lancer .. : Administrator a rencontré un problème et doit être fermé...
Je me suis dis, bon, c'est le moment de mettre à jour, donc je télécharge la dernière version (toujours en mssql ce) hMailServer-5.3.1-B1748

Je lance l'install et là au moment du "database initialisation" crash de l'installateur.
Je me dis ... bien fait pour toi, fallait désinstaller l'ancienne version, donc je désinstall tout ce qui touche à hmailserver.
et je relance l'install (après un reboot) et ben non toujours pas d'install possible.

J'ai essayé de revenir à l'install précédente sans succès.
je pense que l'instance de mssql tourne mais rien dans les services. J'ai bien un process qui utilise le dll mais c'est le svhost ...

Au secours, je ne vois pas comment rétablir le service ...

Cordialement,

Stéphane

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: plantage admin + plantage réinstall + install impossible ...

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-01-11 21:03

Please use English on this forum.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-01-11 21:14

Agreed. While there may be people here who know French, most people doesn't. I sure don't. :)

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2010-01-12 15:10

Ok so in english now :)

After few month of good work, my admin version of hmailserver 5.1-B340 stopped working, each click on the icon get me a : "Administrator a rencontré un problème et doit être fermé ...".
So I thought, it's time for and update, so I downloaded version 5.3.1-B1748 (still using the integrated MSSQL)
But, during the install, when it arrive to "database initialisation" I get a installer crash ...
Then I thought that I had to uninstall the old version, so I uninstall everything with hmailServer name and restart the server. I relaunch the install of the last version but still get the error during the install, I tried with the old one, same problem.
I think it's coming from the MSSQL install, but how can I properly uninstall it ?
How can I reinstall the hmailserver ?

Thanks for your help.

Stéphane
PS : sorry if my english is not as good as my french ...

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-01-12 15:20

If you can't even start the software, trying to upgrade it will in most cases just fail. If you can't start Administrator, there must be something very basic wrong (database connectivity problem, permission issues or similar) with the installation. Trying to "fix" such an error by upgrading will fail.
Then I thought that I had to uninstall the old version, so I uninstall everything with hmailServer name and restart the server.
Did you remove the hMailServer directory from the server as well? (Typically C:\Program Files\hMailServer in an English Windows installation).

What error do you get now when you try to install?

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2010-01-12 15:31

Yes, I do understand now, that I should have tried to fix the bug BEFORE upgrading, that was a silly move.

I get an error in the installer, I did not erase any files on the hard disk, just launch the uninstaller.

I attach the screen shot of the error during the install.

Thanks

Stéphane
Attachments
screencapt.jpg
screen capture of the error

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2010-01-12 15:52

Would it be possible for you to remove the hMailServer directory before installing it again?
Of course, you will then lose any configuration and email data you have in the directory.

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2010-01-12 16:25

Hello,

Same error but this time it asked me if I want to use builtin database or not ...
I think the MSSQL compact edition is not properly removed ... but I don't get where it could be.

[EDIT] when I try to uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 ENU, the uninstaller is looking for a file : SSCERuntime-ENU.msi in the temp folder ... file that is not on the server ...

[EDIT2] I downloaded the file SSCERuntime-ENU.msi and used it to uninstall mssql, then uninstall hmailServer, erase the hmailserver folder and launch the install again, still the same error at the initializing hMailServer Database ...

Stéphane

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2010-01-12 19:13

VICTORY,

I had to uninstall / reinstall the framework 2.0 ... don't ask why but I had to ...
Then reboot/windows update/reboot
reinstall hmailserver and tada ... it's working.

I just restored my settings and it's looking good ...

Thanks

Stéphane