MySQL Database Configuration, localhost or database server?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.

Dedicated MySQL Install on Local Mail Server? Or use Main MySQL Server?

Dedicated MySQL Install on Mail Server
No votes
Use the Dedicated Database Server on the network that holds all databases
100%

Total votes: 3

link470
New user
New user

MySQL Database Configuration, localhost or database server?

Post by link470 » 2010-01-03 14:00

Hello everyone! I've been researching mail servers for awhile now and I believe I've decided on hMailServer with RoundCube.

I'm just about to get started on the installation, and I've prepped a new server that will be doing nothing but dedicated email. I have 3 main servers on my network here. A powerful web server hosting all my current websites. A database server hosting MySQL and nothing but MySQL, that's it's only task, a dedicated database server. The websites that are dynamic from the web server use the dedicated database server over the local network. Appears to work great. Now I'm configuring a mail server here with hMailServer and RoundCube on the dedicated mail server.

My question to you guys is, in your opinion, should I use the existing database server [that also hosts the databases for all my dynamic websites hosted on the webserver] for the hMailServer database? Or should I install a second copy of MySQL on the mail server and only have one database installed on it for email? The reason I ask is I'm not entirely sure what to expect here for loads etc., so questions run through my head like; does the hMailServer database fill up fast, what all is stored in there, is it just links to where files/emails/attachments are on the mail server? If hMailServer will be doing a lot of storing of data in the database, I think I'll go with a second copy of MySQL on the local mail server. But I thought I'd ask you guys first :D

Thanks for your opinions in advance!! Looking forward to installing.

I'll add my question as a poll too so I can see your answers overall.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: MySQL Database Configuration, localhost or database server?

Post by ^DooM^ » 2010-01-03 17:31

no need for two database servers. use the one over the network. i do that myself and have been doing so for many years and it also runs all my domains. if it's going to be a busy mailserver make sure your SQL server is configured for lots of concurrent connections.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Re: MySQL Database Configuration, localhost or database server?

Post by sheffters » 2010-01-04 03:20

Go for the network one ... no need to make backups twice as difficult.
is it just links to where files/emails/attachments are on the mail server
yes, and some metadata and bits n bobs ... but it won't get huge (i.e. doesnt store the actual emails or attachments).

S.