strange trouble with another mta

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
westdam
Senior user
Senior user

strange trouble with another mta

Post by westdam » 2009-12-10 11:15

Hi guys.
i'm trying to send a mail from my personal server to another one ( the national health service so a bigger corporation ).

I've got a bounce :
Error Type: SMTP
Remote server (89.97.126.45) issued an error.
hMailServer sent:
Remote server replied: 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

My mailserver is : hmailserver 3.1 1680. It's fully configured, and i've got all the antispam feature installed and configured.
I've got SPF record on mine domain ( and it's working and its ok ). My mailserver is not listed on the most popular dnsbl, i'm using greylisting,checking incoming mail on various dnsbl and surbl. PTR is configured "correctly "

The unique feature still missing is the DKIM signing and cannot enable ( due to godaddy's dns pannel editor with a 255 chars limits so cant add dkim sign) . Also the IP address of the server is a static IP address but is recognized as dynamic address due to italian poor infrastructure. ( most of the static ip address are recognized as dynamic ip but they're assigned statically.. ) . Infact the PTR is auto-generated by isp and cannot be changed.

what i'm missing? some one can help me?
i'm not a novice, in the past this issue was removed creating the spf record.
I think it's all related to the IP Address. Most of the italian little NSP having this kind of trouble recently..

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: strange trouble with another mta

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-12-10 11:40

What have you set in server greeting (HELO) if it doesn't match PTR it could be classed as spam.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-12-10 15:00

the hostname specified in the hmailserver administrator is the same of the PTR record assigned by isp ( generic123.isp.it for example ), so I presume is right..

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-12-10 15:14

oohh damn..
dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net

i'm listed here. of course not only my IP. all the Netblock!!
I'm on the 2nd biggest italian provider. They've blocked all the netblock.
Probabily someone on his home-dialup have sent some spam in the past.. But i'm not a spammer, and I do not send spam!

unfortunately unless my server is in italy i cannot solve easily this situation.. :(

thanks anyway!

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-12-10 15:58

Most likely an infected machine / proxy + ISP lists your whole block as home use and dynamic rather than business use which lowers reputation significantly to major mail providers.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ