SPAM settings question

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
pearsondan99
New user
New user

SPAM settings question

Post by pearsondan99 » 2009-11-16 05:34

Hi,

I m trying to crack down on the amount of spam entering my environment I ve implemented spam settings fairly tightly but have two questions that concern me;

- SPAM delete threshold - assume this means if it matches this spam score the message will be automatically deleted - I m nervous about tightening this one in case emails go missing without notifiying the end user - is there any way round this?

notification when spam is received - Maybe I m missing something but hmailserver doesnt seem to have a quarantine for spam which has a self release mechanism - is this correct (it ether sends them to the user or deletes them?)

Many thanks in advance

mattg

Re: SPAM settings question

Post by mattg » 2009-11-16 05:55

yep you have it about correct.

I use the notification part to change the subject of the message, and then use a rule to forward all messages with that exact wording in the text, directly to an account named spam@mydomain.com and then delete message. Make sure that you exclude all messages being delivered to spam@mydomain.com from the forward or you will create a loop.

You could do this without decreasing the delete threshold score, you could even increase the delete threshold...

I also use 'greylisting' with incredible effect. Almost zero SPAM.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

pearsondan99
New user
New user

Post by pearsondan99 » 2009-11-16 06:25

thanks for the swift response Mattg

so to clarify in your example if the spam filter picks up the message as being spam based on the configured rules using the {spam} tag in the subject line it forwards it to a catch all email address (such as spam@domain.com) ?

in your case if a user has identified a missing email you go into the spam@domain.com mailbox and forward it to them or after a period of time auto delete it...

mattg

Post by mattg » 2009-11-16 06:36

yep.

I check the spam account every week or three and just delete them, normally.

The only missing mail I have ever been asked about is some newsletters, whose senders do not try again for greylisting. I just add theses sender to the greylisting - whitelist and all goes well.

If you go with my rule and don't delete the message as last step, the users will still receive the message and just a copy will be sent to the SPAM account. Do that for a while to test if you like...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-11-16 11:51

That is what I do. I never globally delete email I just mark it as spam that way my end users can either setup a filter in their mail client to delete them or have me move it to a spam IMAP folder (if they are using IMAP) or have the server delete it at the door with an account rule.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

westdam
Senior user
Senior user

Post by westdam » 2009-11-16 15:00

or you can just have a spam treeshold very high.. so if, for example,
spf fail, dnsbl match, mx check failed this is 99.9% spam..