A little help needed please.

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
percepts
Senior user
Senior user

A little help needed please.

Post by percepts » 2009-10-20 16:57

I've got through the install but am a little confused on MX records.
In my usual mail client I have to specify an smtp server name and a pop server name. So where do I create these in hmailserver settings. It's not clear to me whether I can call my mail server mail.mydomain.com or have to call it something else in my mx record setup. So where and what do I call my mailserver? I would like to call both my smtp and pop server names mail.mydomain.com. Can I do that?

Thanks.

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Re: A little help needed please.

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-20 17:07

elo,
It's not clear to me whether I can call my mail server mail.mydomain.com or have to call it something else in my mx record setup
MX wants to be the same.
I would like to call both my smtp and pop server names mail.mydomain.com. Can I do that?
Yep ... no worries.

If you run your own DNS server have a read of http://www.iisanswers.com/dns_for_iis.htm ... if you do tht you'll need your glue records updating ... most likely though your ISP manages your DNS so login to your ISP management page and add an A record for mail.yourdomain.com and its public IP address and then add an MX record of mail.yourdomain.com and you should be good to go.

Cheers

S.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-20 19:12

in hmailserrver what do I put in smtp host ? is it mail.mydomain.com?

sheffters wrote:elo,
It's not clear to me whether I can call my mail server mail.mydomain.com or have to call it something else in my mx record setup
MX wants to be the same.
I would like to call both my smtp and pop server names mail.mydomain.com. Can I do that?
Yep ... no worries.

If you run your own DNS server have a read of http://www.iisanswers.com/dns_for_iis.htm ... if you do tht you'll need your glue records updating ... most likely though your ISP manages your DNS so login to your ISP management page and add an A record for mail.yourdomain.com and its public IP address and then add an MX record of mail.yourdomain.com and you should be good to go.

Cheers

S.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-10-20 19:18

Have you checked this?
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... x_problems

It explains how to set up MX records. In the MX record, you should put a host name which resolves to the TCP/IP address where hMailServer is running. That may be mail.mydomain.com, if that host matches the IP address of your server.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-20 20:15

This is all very new to me but I think I have done everything OK. I just setup my home pc as a web server today and dns records are working for that as apache is serving up new pages from my machine so some dns information has propogated. But when I try to fetch email from hmailserver address to my server doesn't resolve. I ran nslookup and it is still pointing to domain registrar MX records even though I have setup my own MX record and an a record for it.

I'll check tomorrow as it could just be that dns hasn't propogated unless you have other suggestions.
martin wrote:Have you checked this?
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... x_problems

It explains how to set up MX records. In the MX record, you should put a host name which resolves to the TCP/IP address where hMailServer is running. That may be mail.mydomain.com, if that host matches the IP address of your server.

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-20 20:37

you'll need your glue records updating
or external people won't resolve against your dns server. (same prob for your web server too)
dns information has propogated
probably locally ... I know people keep harping on about 24/48 hours for dns to propogate properly ... but in reality its never taken that long for me and I do lots of domain changes and the like ... so more than likely its not going to go external if it hasn't fairly quickly.

Use http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/ to see how its being seen on the interwebs ... it doesnt cache and quieries right though the dns system ... any changes I've ever made are seen on there instantly (or post your domain name - easier and no risk imho as its all public info anyway, although some people like to hide them).

You'll need to contact your registrar to add your dns ip's to the registry so the interweb knows to use your server and not a.n.other.

Are you sure you want to run a mail server at home? ... most people will probably block your mails unless your on a static ip (if you are theres no reason why you can't, just most people don't have static at home).

S.

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-20 22:40

Progress :)
Not sure why because I made many changes but it was probably becuase I hadn't configured ports properly.
Anyhow I now have problem that one on-route server is rejecting mail becuase:

"Remote server replied: 550 Sender verify failed"

So it doesn't like me. How do I get around that?

I have a static IP and I tested my apache webserver page from my mobile phone which can access my web page so that seems to work fine via the dns. Squish and intodns look OK except for glue?

Why do I need glue records? Isn't that for the dns owner to sort out?

the domain I'm playing with is websitedesignerdevon.co.uk which I'm just using as a learning exercise for this. I'm fed up with web hosts support levels and making sweeping changes which require a lot of work at my end so I've decided to try and run my own server from home and email is part of that.

sheffters wrote:
you'll need your glue records updating
or external people won't resolve against your dns server. (same prob for your web server too)
dns information has propogated
probably locally ... I know people keep harping on about 24/48 hours for dns to propogate properly ... but in reality its never taken that long for me and I do lots of domain changes and the like ... so more than likely its not going to go external if it hasn't fairly quickly.

Use http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/ to see how its being seen on the interwebs ... it doesnt cache and quieries right though the dns system ... any changes I've ever made are seen on there instantly (or post your domain name - easier and no risk imho as its all public info anyway, although some people like to hide them).

You'll need to contact your registrar to add your dns ip's to the registry so the interweb knows to use your server and not a.n.other.

Are you sure you want to run a mail server at home? ... most people will probably block your mails unless your on a static ip (if you are theres no reason why you can't, just most people don't have static at home).

S.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-20 22:52

the rDNS on your IP is set to port-233.xxx.th.newnet.co.uk it should be set to your domain name. Have you setup SPF?
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-20 23:20

I haven't setup SPF. That's something else I guess I will need. Haven't a clue how to go about that yet.
How do I set the rDNS ?

^DooM^ wrote:the rDNS on your IP is set to port-233.xxx.th.newnet.co.uk it should be set to your domain name. Have you setup SPF?

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-20 23:30

Contact your ISP and ask them to change it. If that domain is only temporary though you may want to change it to your permanent domain instead as it takes upto 72 hours to make the change (only works on static ip)

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-20 23:45

Would life be easier if I bought Simple DNS Plus" so that I had total control over the DNS. The only thing that concerns me about doing that is that I may use significant amounts of bandwidth and resource just running a DNS for a handful of domains. Something else to learn about. I'll be moving soon so don't really want to get a full setup before that as I will probably move ISP too and have to go through the whole process again.

^DooM^ wrote:Contact your ISP and ask them to change it. If that domain is only temporary though you may want to change it to your permanent domain instead as it takes upto 72 hours to make the change (only works on static ip)

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-20 23:57

Upto you, you would have to notify your ISP either way if you want to run your own DNS server or not. The joys of being a server admin :)

roi
Normal user
Normal user

Post by roi » 2009-10-21 11:01

If you are new to mail servrs, I would suggest that you take it easy on adding more variables to the equation that would make your learning curve even more steep. Your own DNS can come later.

That said, having your own DNS is a natural when you have a mail server because you will probably end up hosting more and more domains for email addresses.

As DooM said... the joys of being a server admin...! I know what you are going through... the frustrations, the questions and that elevated feeling you get when you get to get things working like a charm. I still go through these feelings even after so many years.

Best wishes on your new adventure...
hMS: 5.2.1-B361 | DB: Internal MySQL from hMS 4.4 | OS: W2K3 1Gb VM

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-21 22:27

Thanks all. With your help and advice I'm 98% there. hmail seems to be working OK now and I can send and receive messages OK. Just have one domain being problematic but I don't think that is anything to do with hmailserver.
rDNS PTR record is now setup.

One further question which is slightly off at a tangent and that is can anyone give me pointers on how to make php mail() function use hmail as smtp server. Have looked at PHP docs but it is not clear to me where the link to the server is being defined in php.ini. Or what actually links the mail() function to the hmail service.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-21 22:47

It is in the PHP.ini

Code: Select all

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = 127.0.0.1
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
sendmail_from = mail@yourdomain.com

percepts
Senior user
Senior user

Post by percepts » 2009-10-21 23:06

Thanks,
It wasn't working because it needs the hostname rather than the IP number. I have several domains and it needs the domain host name so SMTP mydomain.com worked.

Looks like I've already had some attempted hack attacks since putting my site up :shock: only to be expected I suppose.

Anyhow all seems to be working OK for now so thanks again...