Two SMTP Ports? (Newbie warning)

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
yoj0
New user
New user

Two SMTP Ports? (Newbie warning)

Post by yoj0 » 2009-10-08 13:29

Hello

Im kinda a newbie at hMailServer since i newly took over after a guy at this place and haven't been using it before. And now i have some questions about adding a second smtp too the server. Since before we have been using port 25 but have to allow port 465 too as alot of ISP here has blocked port 25. Our server got an static IP and isn't behind any router, the server is version 5.1.1-B341.

I was wondering what more i have too do after adding the port at Advanced+TCP/IP-ports to make the server use 465 aswell as 25(if this is possible) or if im finished. And what kind of risks do it bring to open more ports that i should be aware of?

Thank you for answers, or links to similar posts i missed! ^^

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Two SMTP Ports? (Newbie warning)

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-08 13:32

You may need to restart the hMail service from services.msc before the port is forked. Opening up a second port is only useful for users sending email to your server. Emails server explicitly talk on port 25 to talk to each other so if that port is blocked by your ISP then you will need to use your ISP's mail servers to relay email.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

yoj0
New user
New user

Post by yoj0 » 2009-10-08 13:57

Our client have problem connecting and get the message that says "Your ISP have blocked port 25, you must use your ISP's SMTP server as the outgoing server". Though when i talked with the clients ISP they said that our clients had to use our SMTP as outgoing server. I don't think the ISP this company uses has blocked port 25, but some of our clients ISP have. But i can get around it by relaying through our ISP's mail server?

This is why i thought we should open another port! :P But as i said, im not really good at theese things.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-08 14:56

Ok slightly confused here :D

Who are you in relation to this client that is having problems connecting to port 25?

yoj0
New user
New user

Post by yoj0 » 2009-10-08 15:13

Haha sorry for confusing you! :P

We keep an email server at our business and we have clients who use it through either our webmail or programs like outlook. Now some of our clients ("thoose who use Outlook") have trouble connecting to our server and got the "Your ISP have blocked port 25, you must use your ISP's SMTP server as the outgoing server" while trying to send emails. So i have been reading around a little and seen that alot of our clients ISP's have blocked port 25 and that seem to trouble the connection between our clients and our server.

So i thought it would maybe help if we could open another port for SMTP at our server so the clients who's port 25 is blocked by their ISP could connect through the other port(465). And as i said before, i haven't been working at all with this sort of stuff before, so i may just be plain stupid right now! :P

Hope this help you understand it a little better.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-10-08 15:20

Right, now I understand and yes what you are doing is what I would have suggested. I do the same for one of my clients. It does annoy me that ISP's do this it doesn't really hurt the spammers and customers are not getting what they pay for. Open a second port to your SMTP server so they can send email is a good idea. You just have o make sure your users know which port to setup SMTP communication for.

yoj0
New user
New user

Post by yoj0 » 2009-10-08 15:26

Ok, thank you for the help! :) Oh, one last question, will the users who still can use the port(25) have to do any changes? Or will the old configuration still work for them?

sheffters
Senior user
Senior user

Post by sheffters » 2009-10-08 15:31

the old config will work for them still .. in effect you allowing mails on 2 ports .. so those without the problem wont have to do anything .. the ones with the problem will have to update there mail clients to use the new port.

Cheers

S.