Server Inbox's

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
nelsonm
Normal user
Normal user

Server Inbox's

Post by nelsonm » 2009-03-02 19:09

Hi all,

I'm new to hMailServer.

It appears that Noticeware aka True North has closed its doors so i looked and found hMailServer. I any case, I installed and configured the server - very nice.

My questions are...

1. Do i assume that you can not look at any messages that are still on the server's inbox through the administrator interface?

2. How can i look at the messages left on the server's inbox?

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Server Inbox's

Post by martin » 2009-03-02 19:13

1) I don't know what you're assuming :). Either way, hMailServer Administrator doesn't offer any functionality for viewing mailboxes. It has been requested, but not implemented yet. There's no time plan.

2) Using an email client.

nelsonm
Normal user
Normal user

Post by nelsonm » 2009-03-02 22:47

By default, hMailServer uses an embedded version of MySQL but again, i assume, its not accessible. However, it should be possible if you decide to use a standalone version of MySQL with hMailServer by generating a web based query page or through the supplied MySQL database query program.

Update... I just realized that hMailServer does not store the messages in the database. Again i assume the database just stores the pointers to the messages stored in the data directory.

Thanks anyway - i assume! :wink:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2009-03-03 02:03

nelsonm wrote:By default, hMailServer uses an embedded version of MySQL but again, i assume, its not accessible
Incorrect assumption.
nelsonm wrote:I just realized that hMailServer does not store the messages in the database. Again i assume the database just stores the pointers to the messages stored in the data directory.
Correct assumption.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2009-03-03 12:56

I'm new to hMailServer. -----------Welcome. you are going to be happy with your choice!
It appears that Noticeware aka True North has closed its doors so i looked and found hMailServer. I any case, I installed and configured the server - very nice. ------------------------ Can you point me to this information as their web site appears to be fully functiional

My questions are...

1. Do i assume that you can not look at any messages that are still on the server's in box through the administrator interface? --------------Thats right as messages are held in many (up to 255) directories. (there are many good reasons for this, do a help file search and you will see) You can see all messages are eml files in these directories though.

2. How can i look at the messages left on the server's inbox? --------- Cant!!! Can see outgoing queue.

good luck.
Windows XP
hmailserver (latest beta allways) (except db versions)
test config, trying to convince the boss to use hmail!
ASSP - front end SPam killer

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-03-03 15:37

Files in the data directory are the files in the undelivered queue.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

nelsonm
Normal user
Normal user

Post by nelsonm » 2009-03-03 19:29

minsik,

Internet Anywhere Email server's site url's was:

1. http://www.tnsoft.com

2. http://www.noticeware.com

both take you to a redirected ad site. Is there another url you have that is still active?

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2009-03-04 12:46

Here is a snap of the noticeware.com site tonight. appears to be working from here ok.
(the tnsoft site is redirecting but the name has been changed a long time so thats not really a problem if they let it go).

I can see no other reports of Noticeware closing up shop or leaving the scene. based on what i have seen then i have to assume its still a working company.

Thanks for the info though. (ps still reccoment hmailserver for you as long as you can get over the Problem - real or imagined that there is no way to seee messages in a users inbox without actually using some sort of tool to logon with username and password!
nearly perfect in evey other way.
Attachments
MWSnap011 2009-03-04, 21_07_46 bb.jpg
Windows XP
hmailserver (latest beta allways) (except db versions)
test config, trying to convince the boss to use hmail!
ASSP - front end SPam killer

nelsonm
Normal user
Normal user

Post by nelsonm » 2009-03-04 18:12

minsik,

http://www.noticeware.com was not accessible yesterday from my location but is working today. The site today is not the same site i looked at last week. It appears to have been reworked and they are only selling their "NoticeWare™ Email Server" and not the "Internet Anywhere Mail Server" at the moment.

In any case, i'm glad i found hMailServer.

I have not been able to get any email response from noticeware tech. support for a long time, the product sucked up too much cpu time - about 98% - when processing incoming messages and would get backed up. The IA email server also had a problem with corrupt messages that would prevent messages from being downloaded to the client.

hMailServer appears to work very well so far on less cpu time with no message delivery problems.