Directly deleting/replacing files from the user account data

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
mikew
New user
New user

Directly deleting/replacing files from the user account data

Post by mikew » 2009-02-11 10:09

Hi,

can hMailserver "tolerate" the situation when mail files referenced in the database are deleted or replaced by other files, without updating the database?

Background: We have the situation that viruses that were not detecteable when they got delivered are now sleeping in the IMAP folders of some users and just waiting to be activated. A scheduled virus scan over the hMailserver Data directory can reveal such time bombs. A very simple solution would be to replace the infected mail file by a message saying that the actual mail is in some kind of quarantine. Is this allowed without modifying the database? Any "unforseen consequences"?

To directly touch the database is something I am not really feeling comfortable with; that's why I try to avoid it.

I also looked for a way to use the COM API for my problem but there seems to be no API to relate the GUID file number {XXX-XXX....} the virus scanner provides in its report to the mail ID required by the Messages collection...

Of course, any suggestions for other solutions are always welcome!

Bye,

Mike
Last edited by mikew on 2009-02-11 10:54, edited 1 time in total.

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Directly deleting/replacing files from the user account data

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-02-11 10:22

hMail will send the recipient an email saying the file no longer exists.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ