slow opening inbox

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
plobby
Normal user
Normal user

slow opening inbox

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 07:22

I searched and could not find anything related to this although I wasn't sure how to word it at the same time.

My issue is that it takes 10-12 seconds to move to my inbox folder of about 500 messages, I am not sure how much all the messages total too though. For all the messages I have between all my folders it is about 240mb's. I have another folder that has about 600 messages in it and it takes maybe 1-2 seconds to open up. I currently have 25 messages per page at a time.

Also I am not sure which database this correlates too. My setup is as follows

Apache + MySQL + PHP + Hmailserver 5.0 326 Beta (same as the stable one released?) + Horde

Server 2003
Dual Xeons @ 2.0ghz
1.25gb ram (utilizing about 750mb's at the moment)
Raid 5 w/ 6 18.2gb 10k scsi's w/ one as a hot spare.

I am not sure if this has to do with hordes or hmailservers database but it can get rather irritating waiting that long to open your inbox. Now when I open an individual message in my inbox or any other folder, it only takes a second or two to do so.

Any ideas/suggestions?

mattg

Re: slow opening inbox

Post by mattg » 2009-02-04 07:38

Enable IMAP logging, open the folders again and report your logs here.

IMAP logging is VERY verbose, and so it should give heaps of time stamped logs...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 07:52

Wow...you weren't kidding about that.

http://www.compsnet.com/download/imaplog.txt

You can view the log there...

I first clicked on my inbox - then I clicked to go to the second page of 25 messages - then I clicked on my other folder named 'marquette' that has about 600 messages but opens in 1-2 seconds.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2009-02-04 08:16

You'll have to wait for Martin for certainty, but I reckon that HORDE is asking for lots of searches every second or so. I don't know HORDE, but does it have a purge feature. I'd guess that a purge function isn't optimal.

Have you tried opening the same folders on say Outlook express or Thunderbird?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 08:49

I will set up my account in outlook express tomorrow sometime and let you know how it goes.

The purge feature in horde...what would that exactly do?

Thanks

mattg

Post by mattg » 2009-02-04 09:53

plobby wrote:The purge feature in horde...what would that exactly do?
Delete mail rather then mark mail as deleted

If mail is marked for deletion, it still exists.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-04 11:25

Is that log session from *one* opening of the inbox? Horde sends hordes (umm..) of commands during that session. Many more than is normally seen during a simple log on.

The log indicates that a lot of searches are being made for keywords which you appear to have defined somewhere. Have you configured Horde to do some kind of highligthing of messages containing certain strings or something similar to that?

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 14:39

That is strictly ME opening the inbox > going to the next page > going to a folder named marquette.

Besides flagging a message important (only the marquette folder) I haven't done anything to the folders...or sorting it by data received?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-04 15:00

If you open the log yourself and search for "SEARCH UNDELETED FROM", you will see that your client searches for a lot of different things. Maybe if you look yourself what it searches for you may see a pattern. Never used Horde myself and don't know why it does these searches. But I doubt it does it unless configured to or unless something is wrong..

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 21:05

Besides seeing it name a few folders I have and some email addresses I have never seen before (as in they have never made it to my spam folder or inbox...I see absolutely no patterns in there. :?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-04 21:15

My recommendation is that you contact the Horde support and ask them why Horde issues searches like that. I did a quick (maybe slightly incorrect) count and found 40 occurrences of the search command in the log. Now say that every search takes 0.3-0.4 seconds, then you'll have to wait ~15 seconds. :-\

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 21:22

I just tried outlook express using IMAP and it flies opening my inbox, it downloaded the ~500 messages in a matter of a few seconds.

Just good to know its not hmailserver :) Thanks for the help!

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-04 21:27

Well, it could still be hMailServer. For example, it could be that hMailServer responds in an incorrect way to some command which confuses Horde to do stupid things.

But I don't see why Horde would start to search for what appears to be random strings regardless of what hMailServer do.. Only a Horde-developer (or someone with insight in Horde) can explain that. I've never seen anything similar in SquirrelMail which I use most of the time.

The only thing I can think of which would do that is if you have configured Horde to highlight email messages from specific persons or email messages with specific subjects. Or if you have enabled some kind of anti spam functionality in Horde. (I have no clue whether such functionality exists in Horde)

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 21:36

I may be moving back to squirrelmail if I cannot get this fixed -- the login process for Horde takes a very long time as well. With squirrelmail I have never had any of these issues.

The only 'spam' feature I have enabled in horde is being able to report emails to ASSP. Where you click on a link and it will either report the email as spam or not spam.

Actually...Now that you mention it - I think I may know what it is. My filters -- I have it automatically moving messages to specific folders if it matches certain criteria. Let me see if I disable that if it will work.

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-04 21:38

That did it -- I accidentally had my filters set to scan all messages (i was trying to sort out some email a while back). And I had forgotten to change it back to strictly scanning only unread messages - I just did and now it only takes 1-3 seconds to open my inbox.

Thanks for the help!

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-04 21:42

Haha, okay. :)

1-3 seconds sounds more normal. If you sort the inbox on one of the columns, hMailServer will need some time to deliver the sorted list to Horde. For example, if you sort on the Subject field, hMailServer will have to read the header of all 500 message files from disk, MIME-decode the subject, sort the list and then deliver the first 25 or so to Horde. This can take a few seconds.

plobby
Normal user
Normal user

Post by plobby » 2009-02-05 02:47

Is there any way of sorting messages where it doesn't have to sort through them? Like a default way they are sorted to begin with (date/number received?)

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-02-05 10:47

Maybe date will be it faster, depends on if Horde sorts it on the MIME Date header of the message or the internal date (the date when hMailServer received the message). It's only faster if the internal date is used.