what to fill in

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
pino
New user
New user

what to fill in

Post by pino » 2005-03-03 17:32

hi, can anyone tell me what to fill in the "hostname box" in the smtp settings. i am running xp pro, with the latest version of hMailserver. on mysql, apache and php

layer
Normal user
Normal user

Re: what to fill in

Post by layer » 2005-03-03 17:51

pino wrote:hi, can anyone tell me what to fill in the "hostname box" in the smtp settings. i am running xp pro, with the latest version of hMailserver. on mysql, apache and php
put your hostmane (like xxxx.com or yyy.org or sssss.net etc)

:)

Caesartje
New user
New user

hae pino

Post by Caesartje » 2005-03-03 20:02

Hi,

can you please be more specific in what version of hmailserver you're running, and give a description of the exact problem you're experiencing?

Greetz, Caesartje.

//note: I know this guy, he called me earlier today with a problem
concerning the sending of mail to external accounts. I checked basic
settings with him including hostname (AND told him to enter his domain
name), but found no obvious problems, it gave a SMTP error, appearing
to mean it couldn't resolve the proper MX record. DNS is working fine
on his system tough.

Bram
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Bram » 2005-03-03 20:03

Fill in your a domain name pointing at your servers IP

for example : mail.yourdomain.ext
hmailserver 4.3 (242 Live)
hmailserver 5.0 (605 Test)
Windows 2003
MSSQL
ASSP 1.3.2
ClamAV (SOSDG)
http://www.realdesign.nl

pino
New user
New user

Post by pino » 2005-03-04 10:43

having done this, the is problem is still there, i still cann't send email to outside res. i put my domain in hmailserver. btw do i have to do this in outlook also? what should i put in the " icoming email(pop3)" box.
tanx

alexdehaini
New user
New user

Post by alexdehaini » 2005-03-05 01:37

You have to give us alot of info so that we can be able to help. I have had problems with hmailserver, however - taking time to explain the issues and posting the log files can help. What version of hmailserver are you running?

You put the hostname that you've configured for your email server in the smtp box, usually it's your Mail Exchanger record (MX) in your dns settings. For instance, mail.yourdomain.com can be in that box and this should be the same thing in your dns settings, also - you have to configure apache correctly, read about virtual hosting in Apache, it will help, if you have any other issues, post it and we will help.

pino
New user
New user

Post by pino » 2005-03-07 20:39

hi, here goes. i am working on a windows xp sp2 machine, with the latest version of hmailserver. on a single computer, with an ADSL internet connection, i also have a domain. just a domainname. no dns server or what so ever. btw when configuring outlook at the startup screen, what kind of server type should i choose, is it "POP3"?

thanx in advance

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-03-07 20:50

Then I guess you haven't set up MX recrds for your domain?

You should chose POP3 or IMAP depending on your requirements. I'm sure there's information in your email client on how the both protocol works. Basically, when you're using POP3, the email messages are stored in the email client. When you're using IMAP, the email messages are stored on the server.

pino
New user
New user

Post by pino » 2005-03-07 20:51

this is the error i get when sending email, for example to an hotmail account.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:48:29 +0100
Subject: test

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
Error Type: SMTP
Error Description: No mail server
Additional information: No mail servers exists for the address.

MailDaemon
hMailServer

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-03-08 21:08

Do you get that regardless of which address you are trying to send to?
Do you get that message every time?

alexdehaini
New user
New user

Post by alexdehaini » 2005-03-13 13:49

Listen - when you register your domain - your domain provider usually gives you a username and password to manage that domain, things you can manage include Billing address, contact address, A records, dns servers etc.

You have to configure your DNS MX record to point to the public IP of your computer or your ISP has to do some NATTING such that they can map the MX record IP on your DNS to the computer you installed hmailserver to. This will enable you to send and receive mails, they will have to open SMTP, IMAP, POP ports on that IP if you intend to use those services.

Martin explained to you what those protocols do.

alexdehaini
New user
New user

Post by alexdehaini » 2005-03-13 13:58

You said something about there is no dns whatsoever, that's impossible - dns are the primary sources responsible for sending mails over the internet expect your ISP is doing some dynamic dns which I don't understand.

What is the domain in question? so I can check the MX record for it.