General questions for SMTP gateway for Exchange 2003

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
jdowns
New user
New user

General questions for SMTP gateway for Exchange 2003

Post by jdowns » 2008-11-24 18:06

Hello,

I stumbled upon hMailServer today and it looks pretty impressive for what I want to do. Here's the scenario: we are running an Exchange 2003 server currently. I would like to install hMailServer on another computer and have it act as an SMTP gateway - feeding mail directly to Exchange and sending mail from Exchange.

Internet -> hMailServer -> Exchange

Local user -> Exchange -> hMailserver

I have a couple questions.

1.) It looks like all I need to do is setup Routes in hMailServer to do this (and no local mailboxes), correct? What about using hMail to send e-mails out?
2.) Can I specify at the hMailServer which accounts are valid and which are not (similar to relay_recipients in postfix) or have it poll Active Directory?
3.) I'm looking at running Anti-Spam-SMTP-Proxy on hMailServer. Would I be able to have ASSP scan all e-mails before they reach the Exchange server even though there are no local mailboxes?

If anyone has done this before or has any additional comments or suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for reading - I'm excited to install!

porcupine
Normal user
Normal user

Re: General questions for SMTP gateway for Exchange 2003

Post by porcupine » 2008-11-25 15:15

1, http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=
scroll down to my response

2, You could in the SMTP Route but a lot of duplication and extra administration. hMail as a SMTP gateway should route all incoming messages to Exchange, and Exchange should use hMail as a Smart Host, ie users only deal with Exchange, the world deals with hMail.

3, not available unless you use v5 which not at a stable release yet. Personnally we are very happy with DNSBL and Grey Listing, enough to keep >95% of spam out.

jdowns
New user
New user

Post by jdowns » 2008-11-25 16:11

Thanks for your response, porcupine. Sad to hear about ASSP: I'm running Postfix with MailScanner and SpamAssassin and we're still getting a load of spam. It could be a misconfiguration on my side, though.

If I may ask, why in version 5?

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-11-25 16:39

I think porcupine's reply on nr 3 is wrong. I don't see why that wouldn't work with hMailServer 4. (I haven't used ASSP much though)

porcupine
Normal user
Normal user

Post by porcupine » 2008-11-25 17:36

sorry, I misread 3. Whenever I see ASSP I think of Spam Assassin... v5 now has built-in support for SA. Which, with the aid of hMail's DNSBL and Grey Listing I have avoided using and hope to do so for many years to come.

Our backup MX rejects around 99.5% of incoming emails (10,000 per day), which of course is running hMail as well. Why so high, well, backup MX's are a bigger target for spammers. We rarely get a complaint about the level of spam that does get through to the primary and also rarely get a complaint that an 'expected' email is missing - if there is its almost entirely to do with Grey Listing and big server farms such as Hotmail and Google and we add their IP's to the whitelist as we go.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-11-25 17:42

> v5 now has built-in support for SA.

It's possible to use SA in hMailServer 4 as well, using a script. Sure, it's more simple to set it up in v5 though.

jdowns
New user
New user

Post by jdowns » 2008-11-26 00:07

Thanks for the help - I will go ahead and try to set this up and let you know how it goes.