Using gmail to filter spam

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
simondsmason
Normal user
Normal user

Using gmail to filter spam

Post by simondsmason » 2008-11-10 05:12

I stumbled across this thread: http://mboffin.com/post.aspx?id=1636 about using gmail to filter spam by forwarding messages to it and then forwarding them back. I tried it out and so far it is performing really well. It is doing much better than hmail spam protection and spamassassin. Obviously this is not really scaleable because you would need to set up a separate google email account for each hmail account. But I had one account that was getting pounded with spam so it is working well for this one.
Simon DS Mason

jofafrazze
New user
New user

Re: Using gmail to filter spam

Post by jofafrazze » 2008-11-12 00:48

Great idea! I've set up my private account like that now, hope the spam amount will drop from the current approx. 30 a day. Thanks!

black zero
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Using gmail to filter spam

Post by black zero » 2008-11-12 02:05

It's a brilliant and cunning idea. But there's a problem with bandwith....

My connection is but a measly 128 kbps, and it serves 35 users ar once. Adding extra steps for filtering spam like this would exhaust my bandwith, especially when someone sends attachments to my domain. I wouldn't use it for now.

If Gmail were located at Indonesia.... it would've been so different....

*points at my 2mbps IIX connection*