Server restart..

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
arkois
New user
New user

Server restart..

Post by arkois » 2005-02-25 14:30

Some times when Windows restarts..
I need to start hMailServer service manualy..

What can I do ?

olger901
Normal user
Normal user

Post by olger901 » 2005-02-25 14:38

1 Are you sure the service is set to start automatically at start-up?

2 Could you please post your log here, that might give us an idea of what the error could be in case it doesn't start.

TheAngryPenguin
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Server restart..

Post by TheAngryPenguin » 2005-02-25 16:07

arkois wrote:Some times when Windows restarts..
I need to start hMailServer service manualy..

What can I do ?
Reinstall. All hMS-related services are set to start automatically by default. If you didn't manually alter these settings in the Services Control Panel, something obviously got out of whack. If you don't need/want to upgrade, simply reinstall the same build on top of itself and your problem should be solved -- otherwise, upgrade to the current version.

BTW, you didn't mention which OS you're running. I think we're all assuming that it's an NT-based OS (NT4, 2K, XP, 2K3). If this is not the case, let us know.

Oh, and make sure nothing else is trying to use port 3307/tcp -- this will cause hMS' DB to fail at startup. I've noticed lately that a default Skype install will bind itself to some strange ports. If/when hMS fails to start the next time, do a netstat -an to see if anything else is listening on that port.

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2005-02-25 16:23

I doubt re-installing will solve it?

I would check if the hMailServer is dependent on the database server in the control panel / administrative tools / services.

If not, hMailServer might start before the database server has started. If that happens, hMailServer will not be able to connect to the database and hence not start.

ric melia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by ric melia » 2005-02-28 11:27

i've had this problem too and the error in the logfile is (from memory) "could not connect to mysql db" - it only happens occasionally so is probably a case of the mail service trying to start before the db service..

so what martin said about the hMailServer service being dependent on the DB service is probably right. - thanks Martin

i'll have a look at that setting when I get home

GlenC
Senior user
Senior user

Post by GlenC » 2005-03-01 01:50

I'm not having this problem but, out of curiosity I looked under services and I don't have any program dependancies for hmail or mysql. How does one go about adding that? I can't seem to find a way to do it but it sounds like a good thing to do.

EDIT: Never mind, search is such a wonderful thing. (When I remember to use it) :oops:
http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... pendencies