emails backup

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
associates
Normal user
Normal user

emails backup

Post by associates » 2008-06-13 09:01

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind to help me out. I notice that the amount of emails sitting in IMAP folders are becoming very large. Hence, it's quite slow when trying to open the inbox to view incoming emails. I tried to remove/delete the unwanted ones but there are still many of them (about 1500) in some folders. What I'd like to do is to back up those folders and remove the folders (in order to increase the performance). I know that it can be done via outlook (outlook requires export for backup and import back for reading mails). However, over period of time, i may have to come back to those e-mails that're already backed up before without having to import those folders back into the mail-server so that they can be viewed/read. Is there any tools that i can use to do that?

Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I use Hmailserver 4.4 270 on XP Pro machine

Thank you in advance

mattg

Re: emails backup

Post by mattg » 2008-06-13 09:33

associates wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be kind to help me out. I notice that the amount of emails sitting in IMAP folders are becoming very large. Hence, it's quite slow when trying to open the inbox to view incoming emails. I tried to remove/delete the unwanted ones but there are still many of them (about 1500) in some folders. What I'd like to do is to back up those folders and remove the folders (in order to increase the performance). I know that it can be done via outlook (outlook requires export for backup and import back for reading mails). However, over period of time, i may have to come back to those e-mails that're already backed up before without having to import those folders back into the mail-server so that they can be viewed/read. Is there any tools that i can use to do that?

Your ideas would be greatly appreciated.
How about moving to another IMAP account on same computer? That way if you need to you can access e-mail, and normal performance will be improved.

I also use the archive feature in Outlook, but then access to the archived mail is limited.

HTH

Matt
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

at0mic
Normal user
Normal user

Re: emails backup

Post by at0mic » 2008-06-13 11:16

The thing with moving everyones old email to a backup is that each time somebody wants to look at an old email, they would have to ask you to restore it.

By default, Outlook has Personal Folders which are stored locally. I ask people to drag any email thats older than say 6 months or whatever from imap into a folder in their Personal Folders. This means they can still access their recent email through webmail when they're at home.

Of course, I've changed the location of Personal Folders to their network drive so it gets backed up each night.