ASSP vs. SA, which do you like?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
rsfeller
Senior user
Senior user

ASSP vs. SA, which do you like?

Post by rsfeller » 2008-05-17 03:57

Hopefully this isn't a controversial topic! I did some searching and didn't come up with any comparison oppinions. I have read the HOW TO for each and SA reads a bit easier to tweak, but I could be wrong.

I guess this question is directed for those who have tried both.

Questions:

Does anyone have more success then the other?
Is one a bit easier or less buggy to install and or operate?

I have the latest version of hmailserver, PHP, mySQL, Perl on an IIS 5.0 system. 1ghz P3 with 1gig ram.

I would rate my skill level at medium with installs.

Thanks.

rodolfor
Senior user
Senior user

Re: ASSP vs. SA, which do you like?

Post by rodolfor » 2008-05-17 08:23

I tried both.
I removed both and now I use only antispam features inside hmailserver.
ASSP ans SA introduces a new level of (unnecessary) complexity.
Seeing the how to section reveal the needs of continuous manual work to integrate and update the differents products.
99% of spam is blocket by hamilserver itself.
Hmailserver [lastversion] + MSSQL

rsfeller
Senior user
Senior user

Post by rsfeller » 2008-05-17 08:26

great info. I spent about an hour researching the two and you are right the complexity is rediculous. I started this whole project becuase our old MS Exchange server crashed 3 times in 5 years and was unrecoverable each time, I don't want to spend two days reconfig'ing hmailserver.

If it's getting 90% with the built in, I'll be more then happy. Our Outlook client will catch the rest...

...now if I can just get RoundCube to work (hahahahahah!)...back to squirrelmail...

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2008-05-17 09:24

From experience, my company uses crap email software (not hmail) and we were buckling at the knees from the weight of spam.

I put in assp (not easy to implement but follow the basic guides and learn learn) After a brief test few days (last year about october) or 1 week we went live, since then we are sooooo happy. 50-70 email users 1 domain. We cc all spam to an email account, review it as needed (in the early days) now we hardly look at any spam. We delete it after a peeriod just in case there is any missclassification, its there as a backup only.
stats are about 60-78% all email blocked! rest is good stuff. Mainly emails coming in with not correct email destination address or faked helos, faked domains etc, I do believe that hmailserver correctly setup would get rid of most. However the bayesian library we have built up requires nearly zero attention and it works just great for us.

So follow the rules, set it up according to the guides. let it learn for a while collecting good and bad. you review the good and bad and correctly classify the emails. training the dog! good dog, bad dog! etc. adding rules, lists of users etc.

There is an excellent forum and help but like here, rtfm. rtff rtfe (read the flaming manual, read the flaming forums, read the flaming everything) and you will get it working for you.

Our email software is so bad if we remove assp then its like a honey pot and in 5 days would be unworkable again.

It all runs on a 1.4gig 512meg pc windows xp. (however i would like to upgrade that so that i can run the newer 2 version of assp which has ocr recognition built in for graphic file blocking etc.

ASSP - front end SPam killer
Windows XP
hmailserver (latest beta allways) (except db versions)
test config, trying to convince the boss to use hmail!
ASSP - front end SPam killer

Shiloh
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Shiloh » 2008-05-26 03:14

I have tried both SA and ASSP. I like SA better. With either solution, I would recommend setting up dedicated hardware just for running the filtering software. If you run either one (ASSP or SA) on the same machine as hMailServer, then there will be competition for server resources. If you run SA, use SpamD. Don't launch the entire spamassassin script once per email. Use SpamD to run it once and keep it loaded in memory, and then connect to it using spamc or my custom COM object.

We do high volume filtering using a cluster of machines running SA on FreeBSD and then we connect to the SA cluster using a custom COM object and VBS script in a cluster of hMailServer 4.x machines. More details here:
http://www.howiblockspam.com/index.php? ... icle&sid=2

Version 5.0 of hMailServer can connect directly to a SA host without the need for my COM object.

When I tried ASSP, I found that it did not scale well. I liked the features, and ASSP worked well in really low volume tests, but it's single threaded style was all wrong for high volume real world spam filtering. So I would not personally recommend ASSP for anybody that has a high volume email hosting environment. And I would even hesitate recommending it to low volume users, simply because low volume users could unexpectedly grow in volume.

gsmaclean
Normal user
Normal user

Post by gsmaclean » 2008-05-28 22:07

I've used both, and agree partly with Shiloh. While I prefer (and use) ASSP, and feel that it filters better and is more configurable, it is very complex to configure and learn. The main failing of ASSP is that it is single threaded, and it is very easy to cripple a server with any kind of decent load when running ASSP. Apparently the next version of ASSP is going to be a multi-threaded rewrite, and I will reserve my judgement for its volume capabilities until it comes out.