error in sending email

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
associates
Normal user
Normal user

error in sending email

Post by associates » 2008-04-22 04:33

Hi,

I've been receiving the following error message from the server

Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
550 Delivery is not allowed to this address

From the message, i could guess that this is to do with the fact that my account doesn't exist on the server. However, i could receive incoming emails this morning from other people. Additionally, i could also send email out to people in our domain with no problem. The problem occurs only if i try to send to other domain or external email address.

The other wierd thing is that it's only me that has had this difficulty while most of my colleagues can send & receive emails from external address as well as within the same domain.

What could possibly go wrong?

I'm using Hmailserver 4.4 B270 and squirrelmail

Thank you in advance

mattg

Re: error in sending email

Post by mattg » 2008-04-22 04:36

Is everyone else using squirrelmail, or are they connecting via other IMAP or POP3 clients?

Are you sure that this error occurs for EVERY mail you send external, or just one/some?
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

associates
Normal user
Normal user

Post by associates » 2008-04-22 05:26

Thank you MattG for your reply.

Yes, i have tried the ones that i know of and none of them did get sent. However, i think it might be to do with squirrelmail. It's been working well until yesterday i went to upgrade my squirrelmail to the latest version and since then, i got this problem.

I might have to post this issue to the squirrelmail forum.

Thank you for your help

redrummy
Senior user
Senior user

Post by redrummy » 2008-04-22 07:33

Additionally, i could also send email out to people in our domain with no problem. The problem occurs only if i try to send to other domain or external email address.
This alone sounds like a problem with your IP Ranges. Have you modified them recently?
It's been working well until yesterday i went to upgrade my squirrelmail to the latest version and since then, i got this problem.
If this is related only to mail sent from SquirrelMail then you probably turned off SMTP authentication during the SM upgrade. In that case...

conf.pl > Server Settings > SMTP Settings > SMTP Authentication > login
OR
config.php > $smtp_auth_mech = 'login';

...should fix the problem.

associates
Normal user
Normal user

Post by associates » 2008-04-22 09:21

Thank you Redrummy for your reply.

Yes, it fixes the problem. I had it set to "None" for $smtp_auth_mech in the conf.pl but as soon as i changed it to "login", it works.

Thank you very much.