Installation questions

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Grendel
New user
New user

Installation questions

Post by Grendel » 2008-02-05 21:41

My current email server is SME 7.3 (http://www.contribs.org) that also acts a the webserver for the domains that my wife and I have (pleasure only) and our home file server.

For several months now we have been having problems with the setup and with that and for a couple of other reasons I have been considering switching from SME to a Windows based Mail/Web/File server. Last night I got hMailServer off its face and onto its knees and serving mail from a spare test server I have. No offence ment to hMailServer, at 10:30 PM that was an accomplishment for me.

I have several questions regarding hMS and hope that this is the correct forum to ask them.

1) My prefered configuration of the sever will have a 80gig drive for C:\ with the OS installed there. D:\ will consist of mirrored 500gig drives. All webserving, email and file storage will be done from there. Is this a working configuration? Is it a wise one?

2) Order of installation. OS (Windows 2003 R2) and updates,ClamWin, IIS, hMailServer, PHP, SquirrelMail?

3) What are the size limitations of the builtin MSQL? My current IMAP account on SME 7.3 runs about 1.2-1.4gigs in size. My wifes current POP3 mail account runs about 5gigs, I'll be happy if I can ever convince her that the delete key exists for a reason.

Thanks for your time

Grendel

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Post by danny6167 » 2008-02-07 19:16

1. You can change the path where hmail stores the messages in hmail.ini (or something :S ). Recomend you do this before transfering any email to this system. Can be enoying otherwise.

2. Yes, Although id would preferr to use apache and not IIS (it never liked me)

3. Not sure what the size limitations are of mysql but you can always install MySQL if needed.

3.1 What delete key? :P (i archive)

Slug

Re: Installation questions

Post by Slug » 2008-02-08 07:03

2) Order of installation. OS (Windows 2003 R2) and updates,ClamWin, IIS, hMailServer, PHP, SquirrelMail?
Use clamwin only if the mailserver is not heavily used, or use this.

http://w32.clamav.net/

There is a thread about installing it here on the forum.
3) What are the size limitations of the builtin MSQL? My current IMAP account on SME 7.3 runs about 1.2-1.4gigs in size. My wifes current POP3 mail account runs about 5gigs, I'll be happy if I can ever convince her that the delete key exists for a reason.
Dont worry about the internal DB you want have a problem with it "running out of space"

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2008-02-08 13:51

danny6167 wrote:1. You can change the path where hmail stores the messages in hmail.ini (or something :S ). Recomend you do this before transfering any email to this system. Can be enoying otherwise.

2. Yes, Although id would preferr to use apache and not IIS (it never liked me)

3. Not sure what the size limitations are of mysql but you can always install MySQL if needed.

3.1 What delete key? :P (i archive)
What Danny says here is that you can use the Community or Enterprise versions of MySQL if you have concerns about the runtime version included with hMS.
There are mentions of carrier grade sized hMS installations in this forum, so from that perspective; "size is no problem", even though your wife may claim differently.... (sorry - bad joke :-) )
With regards to choice of webserver. Anything that will support your webapplication (IMAP, POP3 and SMTP) and optionally DCOM for advanced use will support hMS.
Regarding the disk mapping, it will be fine. The tricky part is having the "data" directory on a different drive. I think the best man to answer this question is Martin.
I am however looking into ntfslink for the process of working with symbolic links in Windows the same ways it works witn Unix.