SPAM

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Infodine
New user
New user

SPAM

Post by Infodine » 2008-01-30 17:43

Hello,

I was quite happy with HMAILSERVER and the SPAM protection but
yesterday and today there has been an extra ordinary amount getting through. Has anyone else noticed? I usually get a couple emails but yesterday and today it was 6 - 8 times as many??

Anyone?

I have not changed anything, using zen.spamhaus.org and bl.spamcop.net....
multi.surbl.org.

I'm also getting a lot of , for example:

Dns query failure. treating as temporary failure. Query: seagate.com, Type:15 DnsQuery return value: 14

The return value of 14 seems to be new in the last couple days....

Any ideas?

Warren

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2008-01-30 23:34

Sometimes spam increases, sometimes it decreases. It could be that your email addresses were put on some spammers list which increased the amount of spam.

Are you using grey listing?
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... reylisting

Infodine
New user
New user

Greylisting

Post by Infodine » 2008-01-31 01:56

Hi,

No I'm not using Grey listing. Just wondering why I'm getting the DNS errors too... return code of 14 something to be concerned about?

W

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Re: SPAM and DNS lock

Post by sbouli » 2008-04-08 13:12

Hi, I am also having this problem, sometime, the serveur stop sending emails (the not sent list is growing) and I found a lot of entry in the log with
"DnsQuery return value: 14", the only match à found on this is : http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1450690.php

I am using one of the DNS server of the hosting company, and again, juste rebooting the server (pop) is correcting (for a while) the problem.

Any clues ?

Stéphane

phil54
Normal user
Normal user

Re: SPAM

Post by phil54 » 2008-04-08 13:52

Is it worth using greylisting? I havent got it setup at the moment, if i did would i see a decrease in spam being rejected on the server?

redrummy
Senior user
Senior user

Re: SPAM

Post by redrummy » 2008-04-08 18:17

sbouli,
What version of Windows? If rebooting temporarily fixes the problem you should review your Windows event logs to check if something wrong with Windows is causing the problem.

phil54,
Greylisting stops a lot of spam, but also requires a little babysitting. Before you enable it, review the threads about it and be prepared with the greylist whitelist (and whitelist script), and php greylist manager. The whitelist script will give you a head-start on hosts that don't play well with greylisting, and the php manager will help you monitor other hosts that you may need to add manually. Check it often after enabling greylisting to monitor its behavior.

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Re: DNS BUG

Post by sbouli » 2008-04-10 19:13

the server is a windows 2003 (with only hmailserver, his mysql server and awstat). I had to stop using ClamWin as the mails were way to much delayed.

And no ... nothing in the windows logs ... really ...

That return 14 must be informative, because it's the only time it append when I got this, I need to reboot. But the "frequence" of it is about once a month ...

For the moment I am wondering if I should put a system on the log file to check for the specific alert (return 14) to send an alert email (throw another smtp serveur) .....

Thanks for your help ...

Stéphane

PS : I am using the thread because the error is the same but the main subject "SPAM" is not correct ... I am wondering if I shouldn't open a new discussion ??