smtp authentification

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

smtp authentification

Post by sbouli » 2007-11-29 14:01

Hi,

I just moved from IMAIL to hMailServer (9 domains, 101 emails account, 115 aliases, 53 distribution list), everything worked almost fine (few bugs in the export script with alias with a lot of addressee and a few list with spaces before some address) except for the CLAMWIN antivirus wich took 100% of CPU and hold the mails for al least 15 minutes before delivering. I turned it of and tada cpu around 0% ...

The other bad thing is the authentification for the SMTP. We were using it with IMAIL so everybody had it set in there client. But for no reason it's not working with hMailServer, I had to set up a ip group for each ip of the company ... It's a pain ...

I don't see what I can be doing wrong ....

Whatsoever, I love that soft !! very good work, I expect to have my boss to give a donation very soon ;)

Stéphane

danny6167
Senior user
Senior user

Re: smtp authentification

Post by danny6167 » 2007-11-30 20:52

[quote="sbouli"..........except for the CLAMWIN antivirus wich took 100% of CPU and hold the mails for al least 15 minutes before delivering. I turned it of and tada cpu around 0% ...[/quote]

Dont use clam win use the win32 clam AV. do a search of this forum you will find it. ;)

Do the clients have the full address set in the user name or just the first part?
Turn on smtp log try to connect and post the log here.
[Destiny = Desternation] [Desternation = Last Stop] [Last Stop = Death]
So you destiny doesn't really matter, its what you do before you get there.

sbouli
Normal user
Normal user

Post by sbouli » 2008-04-10 19:19

I forgot to get back to you. I found the problem, this was a router bug. I asked the hosting company to upgrate the OS of our CISCO PIX

I found out because of this : http://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewto ... hunderbird

Thanks for your help.

Stéphane

Rainer
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Rainer » 2008-04-11 09:46

sbouli wrote:Hi,

I just moved from IMAIL to hMailServer (9 domains, 101 emails account, 115 aliases, 53 distribution list), everything worked almost fine (few bugs in the export script with alias with a lot of addressee and a few list with spaces before some address) except for the CLAMWIN antivirus wich took 100% of CPU and hold the mails for al least 15 minutes before delivering. I turned it of and tada cpu around 0% ...

The other bad thing is the authentification for the SMTP. We were using it with IMAIL so everybody had it set in there client. But for no reason it's not working with hMailServer, I had to set up a ip group for each ip of the company ... It's a pain ...

I don't see what I can be doing wrong ....

Whatsoever, I love that soft !! very good work, I expect to have my boss to give a donation very soon ;)

Stéphane
Hello Stéphane, welcome to the IMail-Quitter-Club :)

Decrease the max number of command threads. In my case 20 is OK and the queue is alway emtpty.
Rainer Noa

LostMatt
New user
New user

Post by LostMatt » 2008-04-11 16:54

I figured I would just post here instead of creating a new thread for a similar issue.

My clients outside of the office are having trouble sending mail using my server's SMTP address. In order for them to send out messages they have to configure Outlook/OE to use the ISP's SMTP server that they are currently connected to. This is not acceptable because they travel from place to place and it is very frustrating to have to change their SMTP server each time they connect to a different ISP.

How can I configure hMailserver to fit my scenario?

Is stunnel going to be my solution?

Rainer
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Rainer » 2008-04-11 18:10

HI, did you use the full email-adress for username?
IMail needed only tje prefix of the email-adress.
For example, email adress is: Bill@Gates.com
Bill is for IMail enough.
For hMailServer You must enter: Bill@Gates.com

Kind regards :)
Rainer Noa

LostMatt
New user
New user

Post by LostMatt » 2008-04-11 20:51

Yes I am using the full e-mail address for the username.

Just to clarify that the people that have issues sending mail are the ones located outside of the office where hmailserver is hosted.

If they use their ISP's SMTP server it works fine (Ex: smtp.east.cox.net, outgoing.verizon.net, etc). What I want is to be able to have them be able to use smtp.myhostnamehere.com everywhere they go so they do not have to change their settings in Outlook/Outlook Express each time they move to another location.

redrummy
Senior user
Senior user

Post by redrummy » 2008-04-12 00:23

Your answer is probably here:
http://www.hmailserver.com/documentatio ... leshooting

If not, post the log file section for a client session that fails to send through the server and/or the complete error message reported by the client.

Slug

Post by Slug » 2008-04-12 14:38

LostMatt wrote: Just to clarify that the people that have issues sending mail are the ones located outside of the office where hmailserver is hosted.

If they use their ISP's SMTP server it works fine (Ex: smtp.east.cox.net, outgoing.verizon.net, etc). What I want is to be able to have them be able to use smtp.myhostnamehere.com everywhere they go so they do not have to change their settings in Outlook/Outlook Express each time they move to another location.
If the above problem is ALLWAYS the case then you might have port 25 blocked if it is only sometimes then is most likely the isp the external people are using has port 25 blocked. eg here where I am, currently using Unwired (ISP) they block out going 25, at home I use Bigpond cable (ISP) they don't block port 25 and so I have no issues sending mail to work.

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers

LostMatt
New user
New user

Post by LostMatt » 2008-04-14 22:31

Ok so what are my options for the people that are out roaming from ISP to ISP?

I understand that SSL may be my only option as that will defer outgoing e-mail to another port other than 25. I am aware that hmailserver does not natively support SSL at this time (am I right?) so I guess I am just out of luck until then.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2008-04-15 01:43

LostMatt wrote:Ok so what are my options for the people that are out roaming from ISP to ISP?
Host a web mail solution.
Host your own dial-in service.
VPN back to work (rarely do ISPs block VPN ports)
RDP back to work
VNC back to work
use SSL as you suggest, but there is also a chance that standard SSL ports may be blocked too.

Matt
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Slug

Post by Slug » 2008-04-15 06:10

(V5 will support SSL)

In the mean time you could try the above suggestions or perhaps open an other port of your choosing and have the smtp server listen in on that as well as 25.

Michael
Missing Hmailserver ... Now running Debian servers