Cannot receive email from google.

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
andhikacandra
New user
New user

Cannot receive email from google.

Post by andhikacandra » 2007-11-21 12:48

I add a domain in hmailserver as an IP 125.xxx.xxx.xxx
Then i add account me@125.xxx.xxx.xxx

In SMTP setting, host name = 125.xxx.xxx.xxx
I can send an email from mail client Thunderbird for example, using hmailserver account me@125.xxx.xxx.xxx to my gmail account..

But i cannot receive email from my gmail account, why?

In gmail account, i send to: me@125.xxx.xxx.xxx (hmailserver account)
But the email didnt received by hmailserver
Thx..
AndhikaCandra--

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2007-11-21 16:41

You should really be using a domain name.

http://dnsreport.com

andhikacandra
New user
New user

Post by andhikacandra » 2007-11-22 03:31

In http://dnsreport.com, i can get domain name??
Where i can get free domain name?
AndhikaCandra--

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2007-11-22 10:02

No dnsreport will tell you what is wrong with using an IP address as a domain name. If you want a domain name you could use dyndns.org. or no-ip.com or just buy one. they aren't expensive.

andhikacandra
New user
New user

Post by andhikacandra » 2007-12-08 07:01

i have an account in dyndns.org, and then i set the domain i had in dyndns, but i still cant get email from google.. why?
Other settings that i have to do in hMailServer?

minsik
Normal user
Normal user

Post by minsik » 2007-12-08 07:57

in hmailserver utilities (near the bottom of the options there is an mx-resolve test. try this with your email address that should exist.
Does your test resolve to your PC ip address as mine does?
Thats a test to see if hmailserver was to attempt to send email how it would get there! ie if i use the max@xxx-no-ip.org how wil it get there. Based on a dns lookup of the domain it should find a way to connect to that. If it cant then it doesnt exist or have a correct dns mx mappings.

I use no-ip.org for a dns allocation and had to insert an mx record that points to my ip address. Otherwise how in the world will anyone in the world know how to connect to your email server?

just like a book. to find the chapter on bubbles go to the chapter index and look for bubbles, then i know where to go to. If no index pointing to bubbles then where do i start looking and its no bubbles for me!

simply put, a dns mx listing shows the world how to get to the email server. or how to resolve the email server address.

from your com[puter command window use "nslookup yourdomain" and it should resolve to a simple report that shows the ip of your server. If not then DNS lookup is the problem.

remember dns updates to dyndns can take 72 hrs to properagte to all dns severs in the world.

for free dns domain names (mostly all subdomains. like something.dyndns.net or somthing.no-ip.org do a google search on free dns names.

did you read the documentation either online or download it. See it for some realy good basic information and help.

I copy some here to help you.

Nslookup is a command line program that basically queries DNS-servers for information. You can do all kinds of DNS lookups using nslookup. The text below shows how to do MX lookups. Start the command prompt.

Type nslookup -type=mx yourdomainname.com and press Enter.
(Example: nslookup -type=mx hmailserver.com)

The response should look like this:
C:\Documents and Settings\your-username>nslookup -type=mx yourdomainname.com
Server: your-isp-dns-host
Address: your-isp-dns-ip

Non-authoritative answer:
yourdomainname.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mail.yourdomainname.com
(the line above is your MX exchanger)

yourdomainname.com nameserver = your-dns-host-name
yourdomainname.com nameserver = your-dns-host-name
mail.yourdomainname.com internet address = your-mail-server-ip
ns2.yourdns.com internet address = your-dns-ip
ns1.yourdns.com internet address = your-dns-ip

If the response does not include an MX record, then you have not defined any MX record for the domain.