Whitelist and Greylist

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
codamedia
Normal user
Normal user

Whitelist and Greylist

Post by codamedia » 2007-08-01 01:36

I tried a search but could not find a thread on this. If a thread already exists - please point me that way and I will apologize for re asking the question.

I have 2 questions, both regarding the new Whitelist in 4.4 and Greylisting. I have been testing greylisting and love it, but of course - others hate the delay :) (they would prefer 1000 spams per day than a short delay on first delivery)

1: Can greylisting be enabled/disabled per user, rather than per domain?
2: In 4.4, if an address is added to the new WHITELIST - does that then bypass greylisting as well or just the other spam tests?

Thanks

^DooM^
Site Admin

Re: Whitelist and Greylist

Post by ^DooM^ » 2007-08-01 02:11

codamedia wrote:1: Can greylisting be enabled/disabled per user, rather than per domain?
No this is not currently possible as greylisting occurs before the sending server has chance to say who the email is for and therefore wouldn't know to let it through.
codamedia wrote:2: In 4.4, if an address is added to the new WHITELIST - does that then bypass greylisting as well or just the other spam tests?
As far as I am aware if you whitelist (Not to be confused with greylist - whitelist) hMail assumes that it is a trusted domain / ip etc and bypasses all spam and virus protection.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

MP3Freak
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Whitelist and Greylist

Post by MP3Freak » 2007-08-01 02:43

^DooM^ wrote:
codamedia wrote:1: Can greylisting be enabled/disabled per user, rather than per domain?
No this is not currently possible as greylisting occurs before the sending server has chance to say who the email is for and therefore wouldn't know to let it through.
@Doom

Sorry, but that's incorrect. It could be done indeed. Delay decision is made upon a triplet of IP/Sender/Recipient. Therefore, at decision point, the recipient is known.

Greylisting per user is simply not implemented into hMS...

codamedia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by codamedia » 2007-08-01 03:35

Thanks for the replies.

Doom > I must agree with MP3Freak that the triplet does inidicate who it is addressed to so it should be possible. I know it is not implemented in 4.4, I guess my better question is "can it be scripted" with the current hMail systems or should I just make it a feature request?

Also - for #2 you say "whitelisting ... bypasses all spam and virus protection" but my real question is "does it bypass GreyListing? (yes - I am talking the whitelisting added to 4.4, not the "greylist/whitelist")

Sorry if I wasn't really clear in my post. I appreciate your feedback!

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2007-08-01 10:02

Yeah you are correct it does and I knew that as I even wrote a script months ago that shows who is delayed and adds rows to the triplets tables. My brain was not firing on all cylinders when I wrote that dumb reply. Sorry about that.

codamedia
Normal user
Normal user

Post by codamedia » 2007-08-01 14:12

Yes - I've tried that script :)

I'm still awaiting a definitive answer to my 2nd question.
Does anyone knows if a name added to the WHITELIST (the 4.4 whitelist, not the greylist/whitelist) bypasses Greylisting as well as the other spam tests.

Infodine
New user
New user

Whitelist Table in Database

Post by Infodine » 2007-09-04 16:53

Hi Martin,

If I add an entry into the White List using a php script,
do you think it will corrupt the database in any way?

After adding an entry in this table is that the only spot
it appears or do I have to add something else to add
an entry?

I need to give my users a way to add white list entries
or I will be spending hours dealing with this.

Thanks,

Warren

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2007-09-04 18:05

Infodine,
Please stop reusing existing forum threads for your question. Instead, create new threads.

You need to use the hMailServer COM API to add the white list entries. Otherwise hMailServer won't know that you've added them.