Mail client faikih

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
VadaDosaIdly
Normal user
Normal user

Mail client faikih

Post by VadaDosaIdly » 2024-05-29 00:51

I am having problem connecting built-in Outlook app client to mail server.
I am using windows 10 and its built-in original Mail app for sending and receiving emails. Then Microsoft is suggesting using upgraded Outlook app in place of mail app. The new outlook app is having issue connecting to my mail server and it is failing to connect with hMailServer application running on our remote server. I am not sure what is going wrong. Windows machine transfered connection settings when switching from Mail clint app to Outlook app and failing to connect with mail server. Please advice.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Mail client faikih

Post by jim.bus » 2024-05-29 05:36

I am what is going wrong too because you don't give any information on what is going wrong. It is not sufficient to say 'I am having problem connecting built-in Outlook app client to mail Server'. This tells us nothing except that you are having trouble connecting.

That being said, the connections should be the same but you may need to go into Outlook setup or whatever mail app you are using, and manually set the connections yourself for each Email Account.

hMailServer is generally expecting the following set up for each Email Account that connects to hmailServer. Your mail app should generally be as follows:
1. Incoming server host name. This is defined by you not hMailServer or the mail app.
2. Incoming Server Port Number. Either 110 (unencrypted) or 995 (encrypted).
3. Outgoing server host name. This is defined by you not hMailServer or the mail app.
4. Outgoing Server Port Number. Either 465 (TLS/SSL encryption) or 587 (StartTLS Optional encrypted).

You should look at what was working before in your original built-in mail App and use the same in your new Mail App.

But I don't specifically know what you need to fix your issue because you haven't given us any error messages received when attempting to connect to hMailServer with your mail app. You also seem to be referencing two hMailServer installations. Your mail server and a remote server.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-29 06:09

The new outlook app is complete garbage. I also could not get it to work. Also, all credentials and messages pass through microsoft. Avoid this garbage at all cost.

Use thunderbird or EmClient, which is free for 1 or 2 accounts. Its worth paying for, however. Excellent mail client with calendar and contacts.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2024-05-29 07:14

I believe Thunderbird allows any number of accounts but doesn't have Calendar. People I know who use Thunderbird do not have any problems in general with there email servers whether they are hMailServer or not.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

tunis
Senior user
Senior user

Post by tunis » 2024-05-29 08:29

If you set up geo blocking script on imap as I have, you are blocking Microsofts server.
For me in Sweden, Outlook app try to fetch from Ireland and I don't allow that connection.
HMS 5.6.8 B2534.28 on Windows Server 2019 Core VM.
HMS 5.6.9 B2641.67 on Windows Server 2016 Core VM.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2024-05-29 15:13

VadaDosaIdly wrote:
2024-05-29 00:51
I am having problem connecting built-in Outlook app client to mail server.
I am using windows 10 and its built-in original Mail app for sending and receiving emails. Then Microsoft is suggesting using upgraded Outlook app in place of mail app. The new outlook app is having issue connecting to my mail server and it is failing to connect with hMailServer application running on our remote server. I am not sure what is going wrong. Windows machine transfered connection settings when switching from Mail clint app to Outlook app and failing to connect with mail server. Please advice.
ALL communication used by "New Outlook Client" goes through the Azure cloud regardless of protocol.

NO IMAP security and NO POP3 security regardless of TLS/SSL used... ALL account ID's and PASSWORDS are exposed to Microsoft (and associated hackers) !!
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

vidiot
New user
New user

Post by vidiot » 2024-05-29 16:06

SorenR wrote:
2024-05-29 15:13
ALL communication used by "New Outlook Client" goes through the Azure cloud regardless of protocol.
Their mobile app does this as well. Does anyone know of a quality phone email client that can be used?

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-29 17:13

vidiot wrote:
2024-05-29 16:06
SorenR wrote:
Their mobile app does this as well. Does anyone know of a quality phone email client that can be used?
Nine on android is the best. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... olders.hd3

Not sure why its only rated 3.8 stars. Its the best I ever tried and I have tried a bunch. I use it to IMAP goolag and activesync via horde groupware on my system (syncs calendar/contacts/tasks also).

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2024-05-29 18:47

vidiot wrote:
2024-05-29 16:06
K9 is now (evolved to) Mozilla Thunderbird for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=k9+mail&c=apps
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

VadaDosaIdly
Normal user
Normal user

Post by VadaDosaIdly » 2024-05-30 04:16

jim.bus wrote:
2024-05-29 05:36
I am what is going wrong too because you don't give any information on what is going wrong. It is not sufficient to say 'I am having problem connecting built-in Outlook app client to mail Server'. This tells us nothing except that you are having trouble connecting.

That being said, the connections should be the same but you may need to go into Outlook setup or whatever mail app you are using, and manually set the connections yourself for each Email Account.

hMailServer is generally expecting the following set up for each Email Account that connects to hmailServer. Your mail app should generally be as follows:
1. Incoming server host name. This is defined by you not hMailServer or the mail app.
2. Incoming Server Port Number. Either 110 (unencrypted) or 995 (encrypted).
3. Outgoing server host name. This is defined by you not hMailServer or the mail app.
4. Outgoing Server Port Number. Either 465 (TLS/SSL encryption) or 587 (StartTLS Optional encrypted).

You should look at what was working before in your original built-in mail App and use the same in your new Mail App.

But I don't specifically know what you need to fix your issue because you haven't given us any error messages received when attempting to connect to hMailServer with your mail app. You also seem to be referencing two hMailServer installations. Your mail server and a remote server.
Please read my first post carefully. Let me put up in a different way.
Originally Microsoft included a Mail client with Windows 10 package. With it I am able to connect with mail server running on remote machine. However, after recent releases of Windows 10 and 11, Microsoft is recommending using Outlook (a free mail client). At some point, it even forced to use Outlook client with a provision to revert back. So, I decided to give a try. During switchover, it transferred all the mail connection settings from Mail client to Outlook client. I noticed other mail account like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail worked fine except email account running on hMailserver. I could not believe this so; I verified all the connection settings but no luck.

I am not blaming hMailserver or firewall on the mail server. I think there is some setting not getting transferred to new client. I could not figure this out. Does anyone experienced similar problem and what they did to reolve the issue.
Last edited by VadaDosaIdly on 2024-05-30 04:20, edited 1 time in total.

VadaDosaIdly
Normal user
Normal user

Post by VadaDosaIdly » 2024-05-30 04:19

SorenR wrote:

NO IMAP security and NO POP3 security regardless of TLS/SSL used... ALL account ID's and PASSWORDS are exposed to Microsoft (and associated hackers) !!
Really! No security!!!!
What is the alternative?

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2024-05-30 04:43

You were given some alternative free email clients you could use with Thunderbird being one of the alternative email clients. Though, you would have to manually enter the Email Accounts. Another email client suggested to you was Emclient.

Of course, you could always try Outlook either the paid non-subscription version or the paid subscription version of Outlook Microsoft 365. Both of these are POP3 email clients as well. There are probably more out there as well. Many of the volunteers here do not like Outlook period. I have used both the paid non-subscription version of Outlook and the paid subscription version of Outlook Microsoft 365 with no problems.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2024-05-30 10:25

I would find it very surprising if New Outlook does what Soren claims it does. Outlook does allow you to manually specify IMAP servers by address and the various connection options. (I would find it difficulkt to swallow if despite sp[ecuying these details the connectino information still goes unsecured to 0365 in the en route):
Screenshot 2024-05-30 091730.png
Screenshot 2024-05-30 091730.png (132.97 KiB) Viewed 487 times
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2024-05-30 11:25

jimimaseye wrote:
2024-05-30 10:25
I would find it very surprising if New Outlook does what Soren claims it does. Outlook does allow you to manually specify IMAP servers by address and the various connection options. (I would find it difficulkt to swallow if despite sp[ecuying these details the connectino information still goes unsecured to 0365 in the en route):
in fact, majority of Android clients proxying connection to actual servers. All of them ask you for your mail server address and credentials during account creation and you see them properly in settings when all is done, but actually all traffic go thru their servers. Most (in)famous of them is BlueMail. There has been a big debate few years ago resulting BlueMail hide a tiny option somewhere deep in sub/sub/... settings for changing this behavour.
AFAIK there are very few free clients which connect directly to actual servers. K9 Thunderbird being one of them.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2024-05-30 11:57

VadaDosaIdly wrote:
2024-05-30 04:19
SorenR wrote:

Really! No security!!!!
What is the alternative?
Microsoft invented an "inhouse" protocol between "New Outlook Client" and Microsoft Azure... Azure will translate to IMAP/POP3/SMTP/Whatever so between your client software and Azure - NO SECURITY!

"New Outlook Client" WILL NOT WORK without Internet!

Allthough you only have 1 meter of CAT5 cable between your laptop and hMailServer, all traffic will exit your firewall, translate protocols in Azure cloud and re-enter your firewall into hMailServer!
SørenR.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 12:09

tunis wrote:
2024-05-29 08:29
If you set up geo blocking script on imap as I have, you are blocking Microsofts server.
For me in Sweden, Outlook app try to fetch from Ireland and I don't allow that connection.
I mostly see connections from 52.96.0.0/14 range, listed as mostly IE, but sometimes also as NL or SE (example: 52.98.150.29)
To bypass, in OnClientConnect, OnClientLogon or wherever you do the country check, add this before

Code: Select all

'REM AS8075 MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-AS-BLOCK
strRegEx = "^(52\.(?:9[6-9])\.(?:[0-9]|[1-9][0-9]|1(?:[0-9][0-9])|2(?:[0-4][0-9]|5[0-5]))\.(?:[0-9]|[1-9][0-9]|1(?:[0-9][0-9])|2(?:[0-4][0-9]|5[0-5])))$"
If Lookup(strRegEx, oClient.IPAddress) Then
    EventLog.Write("AS8075 MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-AS-BLOCK: " & oClient.IPAddress)
    Exit Sub
End If
SorenR wrote:
2024-05-30 11:57
Microsoft invented an "inhouse" protocol between "New Outlook Client" and Microsoft Azure... Azure will translate to IMAP/POP3/SMTP/Whatever so between your client software and Azure - NO SECURITY!
That is quite a claim...
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/cidrtoregex
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnstools
DKIM Generator: d-fault.nl/dkimgenerator
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnsbllookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/geoiplookup

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-30 15:00

https://cybernews.com/privacy/new-outlo ... oft-cloud/

Microsoft admits to syncing messages from all IMAP accounts you setup to Microsoft Cloud. They claim they don't sync credentials, but do you trust them?

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 15:24

palinka wrote:
2024-05-30 15:00

Microsoft admits to syncing messages from all IMAP accounts you setup to Microsoft Cloud. They claim they don't sync credentials, but do you trust them?
Never said i was a fan of the new free outlook app but to simply and without proof claim it is INSECURE is a bridge to far

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-30 17:19

RvdH wrote:
2024-05-30 15:24
palinka wrote:

Never said i was a fan of the new free outlook app but to simply and without proof claim it is INSECURE is a bridge to far
When Soren said "NO SECURITY!", it was not a strictly technical statement.

Outlook may or may not *technically* be secure, but that's besides the point. They're reading all of your emails, sucking up all your contacts, probably other stuff as well. Do you consider their POSSESSION of that data secure? I 100% guarantee they will sell aspects of that data and freely share it with the NSA and other spy agencies.

Practices like that by MS, goolag and others are the reason I set up a personal mail server to begin with.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 17:31

palinka wrote:
2024-05-30 17:19
RvdH wrote:
palinka wrote:

Outlook may or may not *technically* be secure, but that's besides the point. They're reading all of your emails, sucking up all your contacts, probably other stuff as well. Do you consider their POSSESSION of that data secure? I 100% guarantee they will sell aspects of that data and freely share it with the NSA and other spy agencies.

Practices like that by MS, goolag and others are the reason I set up a personal mail server to begin with.
In my opinion two entirely different things, privacy vs. security

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-30 18:29

RvdH wrote:
2024-05-30 17:31
palinka wrote:
RvdH wrote:

Semantics... Outlook is (probably) neither secure nor private. MS already clarified the privacy aspect. I couldn't even get it to work - I did try because I wanted to see how it operates - before I learned that there's no privacy. If they can't even make a product that works as intended, its unlikely its also secure.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 18:39

Maybe you should refrain from spitting out personal annoyances and opinions as being facts, you really don't do anyone a favor by doing so

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2024-05-30 18:53

RvdH wrote:
2024-05-30 17:31
palinka wrote:
RvdH wrote:

Privacy on the Internet is a wet dream - Big IT killed the dream when SOME became a thing. Security in my world is control of (GDPR) data across the Internet. Having a company like Micro$oft collect data between MY CLIENT and MY SERVER completely violates the rules of SECURITY and PRIVACY in my book. Micro$oft just erased all valid reasons to have a personal/private server - It's all Cloud from now on.

https://office365itpros.com/2023/11/14/ ... onization/

https://proton.me/blog/outlook-is-micro ... on-service

I have been active on the Internet since late 1980's .... I have been hiding pretty well until Google/Facebook and other SOME started trolling the 'Net.
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-30 19:04

This latest version of Outlook confirms that more of Big Tech’s profit margins are becoming ever more dependent on the collection of your personal data.
That is going away as clown world's money printing presses are getting jammed. Trust me, this will not be an issue in 10 years. The free money spigot is turning closed faster and faster.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 19:20

Funny, literally a competitor coming up with this, at least Microsoft is transparent with whom it shares data,
Why are they so worried? Maybe fear for losing revenue?

https://proton.me (Create Free Account)
There is no such thing as free on the internet, you pay with your data... there, here and everywhere

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-30 20:06

RvdH wrote:
2024-05-30 19:20
Funny, literally a competitor coming up with this, at least Microsoft is transparent with whom it shares data,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: transparent... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 20:20

palinka wrote:
2024-05-30 20:06
RvdH wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: transparent... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Why are you such an arse? Keep your opinions, frustrations and annoyances to yourself....fuck me, grown man acting like a freaking child, no wonder the project is dead!
FYI, i meant according the article SorenR linked, ONCE AGAIN i am not using the (Free) New Outlook app, so i couldn't care less what it collects or stores!

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2024-05-30 20:25

RvdH wrote:
2024-05-30 20:20
palinka wrote:
2024-05-30 20:06
RvdH wrote:
Why are you such an arse? Keep your opinions, frustrations and annoyances to yourself....fuck me, grown man acting like a freaking child, no wonder the project is dead!
FYI, i meant according the article SorenR linked, ONCE AGAIN i am not using the (Free) New Outlook app, so i couldn't care less what it collects or stores!
Sounds like cognitive dissonance.

Also, you're vaxxed, correct? Asking for a friend...

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2024-05-30 21:52

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2024-05-30 23:23

IMG_20240307_134752 (1).jpg
IMG_20240307_134752 (1).jpg (73.47 KiB) Viewed 296 times
SørenR.